Multiround aggregated competitions

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our club championships are played on 2 consecutive days and we follow CONGU advice to retain the original starting handicap for both rounds. Prize money for each round is allocated in divisions according to net results in the same way as in all other competitions. The question that arises is “should prize allocation for the second round be based on the retained or actual handicap?”. The overall leader lost a full shot after round 1 but our competition/handicapping software uses the “correct” handicap for the second round results. If his “retained” handicap had been used he would have had second place in round 2 but the individual round result shows him out of the money.

Has anyone else had this situation? If you have, how would you deal with the player who felt he should have been in the money for round 2?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We just finished our club championship this weekend same handicap for 2nd day, if you start your competition on this basis I can’t see how you can allocate prizes any other way.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good question never really checked for ours, reminds me to check how we set it up.

However it does not come in the equation for the Club Championship as it is a gross only comp. We run the Handicap Championship concurrently but players can opt not to be in both.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends what's in the terms/conditions of the competition - but given that players play off the the same handicap for both rounds (ie retain the original h/c), personally I can't see any justification for not awarding prizes based on the handicap used for tge round. (Otherwise, what's the point of playing off the retained handicap?)

Edit. Just realised we have one 2-round competition which is a handicap event - played in a single day. As per guidelines, handicap is retained for both rounds and prizes for individual rounds are indeed awarded based on the original, starting handicap (Our club champ's is 36 holes off scratch so it doesn't apply).

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have several multi round comps. On bank holidays we run a comp that is live across all three days of the long weekend and you choose which two days you want to play on. Do well in round one to the point of getting a cut, you still play off the handicap you started with on round one. Similarly our club champs are a Saturday/Sunday and if you play well on day one the handicap doesn't change. The bank holiday events are usually aggregate stableford/bogey although I think one is a medal and winner worked out net. The club champs recognises the lowest two round gross score as the club champion and there is a separate nett prize for the lowest two round nett score.

Out of interest and I haven't read up on the subject so apologies for my laziness, will this apply going forward under WHS or how will these two day comps run and what happens to players doing well in round one?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We make it one competition off initial handicap and allocate prizes accordingly. Handicaps only change per round after the event. Our problem with the software is it can't cope with the 2 rounds being over different courses and aggregating the results which is a pain.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have several multi round comps. On bank holidays we run a comp that is live across all three days of the long weekend and you choose which two days you want to play on. Do well in round one to the point of getting a cut, you still play off the handicap you started with on round one. Similarly our club champs are a Saturday/Sunday and if you play well on day one the handicap doesn't change. The bank holiday events are usually aggregate stableford/bogey although I think one is a medal and winner worked out net. The club champs recognises the lowest two round gross score as the club champion and there is a separate nett prize for the lowest two round nett score.

Out of interest and I haven't read up on the subject so apologies for my laziness, will this apply going forward under WHS or how will these two day comps run and what happens to players doing well in round one.

WHS shouldnt make any difference. Whether or not your handicap changes between rounds during a multi-round competition is simply down to the terms of the competition. WHS is just a different way of calculating what your "handicap" actually is.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Out of interest and I haven't read up on the subject so apologies for my laziness, will this apply going forward under WHS or how will these two day comps run and what happens to players doing well in round one?

My understanding is that the WHS will not change your handicap over night after 1 round is added. It will update every 2 weeks.

D

Deleted member 1147

For handicap purposes we use the new handicap for round 2.
But for the competition purposes we retain the original handicap from day 1.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our club championships are played on 2 consecutive days and we follow CONGU advice to retain the original starting handicap for both rounds. Prize money for each round is allocated in divisions according to net results in the same way as in all other competitions. The question that arises is “should prize allocation for the second round be based on the retained or actual handicap?”.

Has anyone else had this situation? If you have, how would you deal with the player who felt he should have been in the money for round 2?
He’s correct in my opinion