Multi tee starts

Weemalkyp

Visit site
Hi, in a medal round does everyone have to start on the first hole or could some start on the 10th and play the back 9 first?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has a three-tee start for non-drawn comps and usually two-tee, sometimes three-tee start for drawn comps as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a card play off is it still 3/6/9 on back nine holes if it’s a two tee start.
We had a big argument about this once.
So that needs writing in t&cs

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a card play off is it still 3/6/9 on back nine holes if it’s a two tee start.
We had a big argument about this once.
So that needs writing in t&cs
It does need writing into T&Cs/COCs. Otherwise, as suggested, it can/will lead to massive arguments. We used to have multi-tee starts and it was written that countback was always on the last 9/6/3 as given on the card. And there were still arguments ...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It does need writing into T&Cs/COCs. Otherwise, as suggested, it can/will lead to massive arguments. We used to have multi-tee starts and it was written that countback was always on the last 9/6/3 as given on the card. And there were still arguments ...
My old club (Orikoru's current club) used to use exact handicap instead of count back, which struck me as a fairer way to do it. But several years ago they switched to standard count back.

I guess under WHS perhaps one could use the unrounded PH to resolve ties? Or would that not be allowed under current rules?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old club (Orikoru's current club) used to use exact handicap instead of count back, which struck me as a fairer way to do it. But several years ago they switched to standard count back.

I guess under WHS perhaps one could use the unrounded PH to resolve ties? Or would that not be allowed under current rules?
Didn't/doesn't that always favour the lower handicapper?
I thought handicaps were supposed to give everyone and equal chance.

D-S

Visit site
Didn't/doesn't that always favour the lower handicapper?
I thought handicaps were supposed to give everyone and equal chance.
Not necessarily as if both shot let’s say net 70 and one was off 10.2 (gross 80 -10) so in effect it’s was net 69.8 and the other was off 0.6 (1) they scored (gross 71 - 1) therefore net 70.4 so the higher handicapper wins.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily as if both shot let’s say net 70 and one was off 10.2 (gross 80 -10) so in effect it’s was net 69.8 and the other was off 0.6 (1) they scored (gross 71 - 1) therefore net 70.4 so the higher handicapper wins.
I thought cliveb's "My old club used to use exact handicap instead of count back" meant that the value of the exact handicap was actually used.
ie 0.6 is lower than 10.2 so would be the winning score.

D-S

Visit site
I thought cliveb's "My old club used to use exact handicap instead of count back" meant that the value of the exact handicap was actually used.
You could be right, but that was how I thought it would have worked, a bit like Texas Scramble use to be.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
By "exact handicap" I mean that instead of deducting the rounded handicap from the total to arrive at the net score, the unrounded handicap is deducted.

For example, suppose you have two players with handicaps of 9.6 and 10.4 who both score a gross 80.
Rather than both having a net score of 70, they would have net scores of 70.4 and 69.6 respectively.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
By "exact handicap" I mean that instead of deducting the rounded handicap from the total to arrive at the net score, the unrounded handicap is deducted.

For example, suppose you have two players with handicaps of 9.6 and 10.4 who both score a gross 80.
Rather than both having a net score of 70, they would have net scores of 70.4 and 69.6 respectively.
Got it now but is that PH, CH or HI?