Muckhart GC

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Auchterarder is a lovely course, and possibly more enjoyable for the higher handicappers than Gleneagles.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn’t realize Gleneagles is only 20 mins from where we will be.

It’s very tempting what course out of the 3 would you say is most suited to mid to high h/cs.
I've played the Kings and Queens, HI 18. The Queens is the easier of the two, but both are very playable if played off the correct tees for your level. For me that's yellows and I'd guess it's the same for those in your description.

Both are an absolute pleasure to play, the whole set up there is just lovely.

I wouldn't dispute Brattys post. I haven't played Auchterarder but it's in the same landscape as gleneagles and is well spoken about.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Thanks having looked at Auchterarders website it looks a good option, and a lot cheaper.

The other option I was looking at was Breahead
I loved it. A couple of really pretty holes and a couple of real testing holes. If it was closer to the inlaws, I'd be there far more often!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played the Kings and Queens, HI 18. The Queens is the easier of the two, but both are very playable if played off the correct tees for your level. For me that's yellows and I'd guess it's the same for those in your description.

Both are an absolute pleasure to play, the whole set up there is just lovely.

I wouldn't dispute Brattys post. I haven't played Auchterarder but it's in the same landscape as gleneagles and is well spoken about.

Thanks
I loved it. A couple of really pretty holes and a couple of real testing holes. If it was closer to the inlaws, I'd be there far more often!

Decent score you had especially the front nine 👍

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn’t realize Gleneagles is only 20 mins from where we will be.

It’s very tempting what course out of the 3 would you say is most suited to mid to high h/cs.

I am not a fan of the PGA Centenary as it is a long walk especially between some greens and tees. The Kings and Queens are the traditional Gleneagles courses and the more scenic. My preference would be the Queens.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone any played at Muckhart in Clackmannanshire or courses close by

Patricio is correct, I used to be a member. That was 2010 - 2016. The courses (3 loops of 9) used to be really good. Great variety with the old heathland 9, the newer parkland up the hill 9 and then the newest heath/park 9.

But then someone started getting ideas of grandeur and they got rid of the pro, the steward and the cook and the seniors basically took over the place and ran it for their benefit. The courses started to suffer and that was the last straw for me and my mate.

Since then they have made sweeping changes that don't improve things. The old 9, they removed pretty much all the trees and it makes it look horrible and makes 2 tees incredibly dangerous as they were previously shielded by the trees.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Patricio is correct, I used to be a member. That was 2010 - 2016. The courses (3 loops of 9) used to be really good. Great variety with the old heathland 9, the newer parkland up the hill 9 and then the newest heath/park 9.

But then someone started getting ideas of grandeur and they got rid of the pro, the steward and the cook and the seniors basically took over the place and ran it for their benefit. The courses started to suffer and that was the last straw for me and my mate.

Since then they have made sweeping changes that don't improve things. The old 9, they removed pretty much all the trees and it makes it look horrible and makes 2 tees incredibly dangerous as they were previously shielded by the trees.
What a shame about the original 9, all of us enjoyed that when we had our Jolly there, in fact we did discuss going back and just playing thst 9.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a shame about the original 9, all of us enjoyed that when we had our Jolly there, in fact we did discuss going back and just playing thst 9.

Yeah, it was a strange decision (along with selling a swathe of land that meant that the new owner had control over a part of the course!) as the treelines were what made the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th as good as they were, the trees created a bit of a corridor type view.

The main issue for me was on the new 9, they build USGA greens and then spent 2014-2016 just neglecting them and it got to the stage that one green to the next you never knew what speed it was going to be. Couple that with coming off of one of the other 9s that had totally different greens it just got a bit mental.

They also cut back/burned a load of gorse on the old 9 because a group of seniors (that started basically running the show) were finding it too hard.