Moving On Up With Golf Club Set (advice needed)

Visit site
Hi everybody. Hope you're well. I'm new to the game. Joined Boringdon Golf course in Plymouth Devon. I'm just using a Donnay set purchased from sports direct last year. Basic kit. I have seen some superb second hand clubs etc on Facebook Ebay etc. My question is this. What clubs are generally considered the best? What size for me? I'm 6 foot 1. I know a good set will not make me great overnight lol but what are the general advantages of upgrading to better equipment? Im planning on collecting my 14 clubs one by one or more if I can afford it, by purchasing second hand. Does this sound sensible?

Thanks in advance

Mark.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
TBH I would try to be fitted for a set of iron, even if they are second hand.

If this is not an option, I would opt to be a driver, then wedges, then woods, and hybrid, follow it up with irons. Putter is personal choice and can be found when playing partners buy new.

One club at a time would prove too difficult to get decent gapping which would make it more difficult to hit distances, unless you then had them adjusted in combination wiyh a flightscope session.

Whichever way u go good luck and welcome

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
To buy a set of irons "one by one" is a recipe for disaster.
A good friend of mine used some cheap dunlop clubs he bought from Sports Direct and got down to 10 handicap using them, and a more solid striker of a ball you'd be hard pushed to find.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To answer part of your OP any of the Ping G range Irons or the Callaway X range were all good irons. You might also look at Adams CB3s which you might get cheaper. Then there is Taylormade, Mizuno and Titleist all names of manufactures of golf equipment you might not be familiar with. As has been said getting fitted is the way to go if you can afford it if not and you buy second hand why not speak to your golf pro who I am sure would do you a deal on some second hand clubs and give you expert advice at the same time.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 1st question is why do you want to change?

Do you feel they are holding you back from improving? Have they lost there bag appeal & you are a bit of a magpie just wanting new shineys?

I am 6ft 2, using a ben sayers + 1 inch set. I have upgraded the putter & driver & woods (as per sig) but won't be changing the irons/wedges for a while. As much as I like the look of loads of other clubs, these work for me & I am seeing improvement as I play. Once I "stalemate" I will look to move on.

Visit site
Thanks for reply guys. I think if truth be known it's vanity lol. As my dad says to me the other day, if you bought an expensive set of Callaways or Titelist clubs would you see a dramatic increase in your score? Probably not ☺ However I've decided on the MCGREGOR Tourney II golf set at 279 pounds as a sensible upgrade at this point and they look very nice too.