Most overlooked thing in the golf swing

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s a trick question; what with all the tv, magazine and YouTube swing lessons, there is no part of the swing that’s overlooked!

Last edited by a moderator:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been reading Adam Young and listening to his podcast, really interesting thinking

None of that really matters at all, his philosophy is that the only thing that matters is the impact. The ball does not care what your grip is, what your takeaway looks like and where your arms are at the top of the swing.

The ball only cares about the impact, the club path and face angle.

Which is nonsense really. Its a bit like saying skill, tactics, or fitness dont really matter at all for a football team to be successful, and that the only thing that matters is to score more goals than the opposition. Or that practice and technique dont matter at all for a concert pianist, because all that matters is playing the right notes in the right order.
Does he explain how to avoid swinging the club at all but jump straight to impact ?

Boomy

Visit site
Which is nonsense really. Its a bit like saying skill, tactics, or fitness dont really matter at all for a football team to be successful, and that the only thing that matters is to score more goals than the opposition. Or that practice and technique dont matter at all for a concert pianist, because all that matters is playing the right notes in the right order.
Does he explain how to avoid swinging the club at all but jump straight to impact ?

Geeeeeez ??‍♂️ Those analogies bear no resemblance to what is being said at all.

Boomy

Visit site
Keeping it simple (and thus repeatable, no matter what it looks like as one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to a golf swing) Work with what you have, not what you want.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your limitations imo.
We would all like a textbook swing .
You have to play with what you have, no matter how hard you work you are at the mercy of your own body’s limitations.
Those of us who realise this do well , others strive for greatness .
If I have to I would say basics , stance alignment etc.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your limitations imo.
We would all like a textbook swing .
You have to play with what you have, no matter how hard you work you are at the mercy of your own body’s limitations.
Those of us who realise this do well , others strive for greatness .
If I have to I would say basics , stance alignment etc.

This!

Physical limitation. The End

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This!

Physical limitation. The End

Now we’re getting somewhere. Though I would say physiologically driven tendencies rather than limitations.

I guess the reason that’s overlooked is how do you cover everyone’s unique body make up? You can’t really, takes a good pro to work out what bits are creating certain movements (or restricting them). But I agree @clubchamp98 and I also agree it’s extraordinarily difficult to overcome them without major practice, exercise etc and for some it just can’t be overcome at all.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's a bit like asking what is the most important part of a cake??
There isn't one . They all are.
Several ingredients have to be "right", or else you have no cake.
Several parts of a golf swing have to be right, to get a meaningful impact.
Player "A"'s parts might be different to Player "B"s, but it doesn't matter so long as each gets to a meaningful impact.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swing path. I know when I aim correctly and the ball sails off slightly right of the green that it's because I'm cutting across the ball, instead of though it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Whether it’s teaching or clips looked on YouTube to articles in magazines, what do you think is the most overlooked aspect of the golf swing ?
This may include, grip, takeaway, posture whatever.
I have a good idea and will share later, but I’m interested to know what others think

Overlooked by the player or the coach/pro?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now we’re getting somewhere. Though I would say physiologically driven tendencies rather than limitations.

I guess the reason that’s overlooked is how do you cover everyone’s unique body make up? You can’t really, takes a good pro to work out what bits are creating certain movements (or restricting them). But I agree @clubchamp98 and I also agree it’s extraordinarily difficult to overcome them without major practice, exercise etc and for some it just can’t be overcome at all.

Yeah tendencies is probably more accurate.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting......there has been plenty of answers, but nobody has mentioned left side bend/tilt....see below

This has NEVER been explained to me by ANY pro !!!!!
That’s not new