Most Expensive Golf in Britain???

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
interesting to see there are prices on the article, someone who had been there to do some work told me it was just to entertain his rich mates... bit of a pain in the bum to get to without a helicopter, fly to Islay then ferry or chopper from there?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
interesting to see there are prices on the article, someone who had been there to do some work told me it was just to entertain his rich mates... bit of a pain in the bum to get to without a helicopter, fly to Islay then ferry or chopper from there?

Two ferry journeys take you straight there

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do they have any open comps in the diary? I could stretch to £25 for a comp there, course looks pretty good.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm used to getting a rain voucher for a future green fee if we don't get at least 9 holes played. I assume its the same deal here

D

Deleted member 23270

The hotel is crazy money but no mention of green fees in the article. I'll keep an eye open for a £25 deal on teetimes ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nearly what I was quoted for a B&B on Islay! :)
I've got free accommodation on Islay for when I visit - brother's got a house...the old family farmhouse of his In Laws :)

Must ask him what the locals and fellow Machrie members think of the Jura course...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not been to the island - but Jura is not links land.

It's boggy and marshy.
It is a strange place, population of about 200.
Not a lot to do except stare at lots of deer from the one road.
National Trust and a couple of large estates seem to own most of the land, one tiny village/pub and the Jura distillery.
Did not look like it welcomed hill walkers/tourists....big midge country.
Not a place I would return to.

Golf club set up looks akin to Skibo.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is 20m a realistic budget to build a decent golf course from scratch?
Just about I would think, 25 years ago it was £40k a green as a base level from the main contractors
Scared the pants off a few farmers who came to me for advice on building new courses on their land

Around that time I built a 9 hole course plus small pro shop/toilets/entry drive/services etc for £300,000
Took a while to settle in mind.:love:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just about I would think, 25 years ago it was £40k a green as a base level from the main contractors
Scared the pants off a few farmers who came to me for advice on building new courses on their land

Around that time I built a 9 hole course plus small pro shop/toilets/entry drive/services etc for £300,000
Took a while to settle in mind.:love:
would depend where i'd imagine and who you got to do it... cost us over £1M for 3 new greens and some bunkers in the middle of the fairways:rolleyes: that was Mackenzie & Ebert and our staff did most of the work, i shudder to think how much they would charge to build a whole new course:unsure: