Most expensive buggy hire ever

D

Deleted Member 1156

😂😂😂
Being serious, I actually agree 100% that your club officials are being total jobsworths. They need to remember that a golf club is a recreational institution. We play for fun, it's not life and death. If one of your opponents disagreed with you using a buggy then fair enough but as they are in agreement (which any normal person would be) then just get the match played!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who's slipped a few discs, had a few operated on and played golf on and of through it all.....the last thing I would use to get round would be a buggy.
Constant cycle of activity, standing, swinging, then sitting in the buggy is not good. Best case it will go into spasm around the disc and you wont be able to swing at all.
Electric trolley and walking slowly, but as properly as you can, is pretty good for a proposed disc and prepares you best for the occassional swing as you go round.
Still, you probably don't want to hear that....so it's a good job I'm not medically qualified to give advice and you can discard it 🤔

Visit site
Being serious, I actually agree 100% that your club officials are being total jobsworths. They need to remember that a golf club is a recreational institution. We play for fun, it's not life and death. If one of your opponents disagreed with you using a buggy then fair enough but as they are in agreement (which any normal person would be) then just get the match played!
Funny I almost used the same words to remind them that their job was to facilitate my leisure activity not turn it into a pain in that ass and back of course.

Visit site
As someone who's slipped a few discs, had a few operated on and played golf on and of through it all.....the last thing I would use to get round would be a buggy.
Constant cycle of activity, standing, swinging, then sitting in the buggy is not good. Best case it will go into spasm around the disc and you wont be able to swing at all.
Electric trolley and walking slowly, but as properly as you can, is pretty good for a proposed disc and prepares you best for the occassional swing as you go round.
Still, you probably don't want to hear that....so it's a good job I'm not medically qualified to give advice and you can discard it 🤔
I would agree but I literally go into spasm after walking 100yds only relieved by sitting down for a few mins. I did think of getting a caddy pushing a wheel chair to follow me round just to make the whole thing publicly rediculous. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree but I literally go into spasm after walking 100yds only relieved by sitting down for a few mins. I did think of getting a caddy pushing a wheel chair to follow me round just to make the whole thing publicly rediculous. 😂
Whilst I agree your club are completely stupid here I’d let my mate down.. you can’t put a price on your health

D

Deleted member 23344

Could I suggest that you put a revision to the rule in question up to the next AGM to add “... or a letter, report or similar from a qualified medical practitioner”. If passed, and surely it would be, it should stop others getting shafted in the same way.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep you’re right, they could of insisted he walked and risked him damaging his back further, possibly at great financial risk to himself if he needed to have time of work etc or he may tripped on the course and then blame the club and sue them.

All in the name of sticking rigidly to rules!:rolleyes:

He’s genuine, opponents agreed, club should simply requested he gets the relevant paperwork to them when possible, even after the event, and good luck in the final.

Ridiculous situation.

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to make the point that if you have a bad back then you don’t play.

It’s a competitive sport after all and thems the breaks.

And it’s not for the opponents to be put in that position with regards to allowing someone to breach the rules. Almost anyone would agree to something like that either because they felt it the right thing to do or just for fear of being thought an unreasonable person.

Like I said, it’s all very reasonable but within a few years could quickly develop into people taking buggies all the time.

It’s pretty much a given that any club in America has to have buggies and it has increased the cost per round substantially.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to make the point that if you have a bad back then you don’t play.

It’s a competitive sport after all and thems the breaks.

And it’s not for the opponents to be put in that position with regards to allowing someone to breach the rules. Almost anyone would agree to something like that either because they felt it the right thing to do or just for fear of being thought an unreasonable person.

Like I said, it’s all very reasonable but within a few years could quickly develop into people taking buggies all the time.

It’s pretty much a given that any club in America has to have buggies and it has increased the cost per round substantially.
THEY are not saying he shouldn’t play THEY are insisting on a piece of paper before he can play.

If they were denying his right to play for the good of his health I may agree.

It’s ridiculous and all just in case someone, somewhere might use a buggy they don’t need.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
THEY are not saying he shouldn’t play THEY are insisting on a piece of paper before he can play.

It’s ridiculous and all just in case someone, somewhere might use a buggy they don’t need.

Well I suspect we aren't going to change each others minds, but imagine the following situation.

You have gotten through to a 36 hole final. You've never gotten to a final before or even won a trophy. You've got a sore ankle, but will just have to get on with it.

The opposing player submits a request to use a buggy and provides a letter from his doctor dated earlier that year, 6 months ago. You have seen the guy playing through the season and hasn't needed a buggy.

Because the committee let someone use a buggy the previous season without the full and complete current medical certificate, they just wave it through as the guy has a doctors letter.

6 holes in, your ankle is starting to give you jip and it's a warm, late summers day. Meanwhile, your opponent is living it up in the buggy, taking shade while you sweat on the fairways. You are spent in the afternoon round and shake hands with 9 holes to go.

I know that's not the current situation, but its very quickly how these things develop.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wow that’s a ridiculous standpoint your club are taking, I would go to the next agm and either go on the committee or try to change the ruling to be a bit more flexible, failing that I would be looking for another club.

Good luck in your match.

D

Deleted member 18588

Well I suspect we aren't going to change each others minds, but imagine the following situation.

You have gotten through to a 36 hole final. You've never gotten to a final before or even won a trophy. You've got a sore ankle, but will just have to get on with it.

The opposing player submits a request to use a buggy and provides a letter from his doctor dated earlier that year, 6 months ago. You have seen the guy playing through the season and hasn't needed a buggy.

Because the committee let someone use a buggy the previous season without the full and complete current medical certificate, they just wave it through as the guy has a doctors letter.

6 holes in, your ankle is starting to give you jip and it's a warm, late summers day. Meanwhile, your opponent is living it up in the buggy, taking shade while you sweat on the fairways. You are spent in the afternoon round and shake hands with 9 holes to go.

I know that's not the current situation, but its very quickly how these things develop.

And if my Auntie had balls she would be my Uncle!

The scenario you paint is nothing like the one being experienced by the OP.

There's no defence for the ludicrous lack of common sense being displayed by the officials.

It's the winter foursomes not the bloody Open.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wow quite a scenario but my two highlighted points kinda negate your argument. If I was on my club committee and had to make a ruling on a situation like this I wouldn't accept a 6 month old certificate, I would tell the person to get a current one.

Visit site
Could I suggest that you put a revision to the rule in question up to the next AGM to add “... or a letter, report or similar from a qualified medical practitioner”. If passed, and surely it would be, it should stop others getting shafted in the same way.
I’ll pass it on. 🤔 still shocked by the stupidity of it all tbh.

Visit site
Whilst I agree your club are completely stupid here I’d let my mate down.. you can’t put a price on your health
I know but I’m bloody minded. probably displayed by the fact I paid £250 just to make a point. Also makes a good story for the bar and makes the committee look petty. If I’d just given them a buy it would have all been forgotten. Stapleford today which I didn’t play in obvs but a few of my mates there and everyone talking about it.

Visit site

I did point out in the 17 years I’ve been a member I have never used a buggy backed up by the Pro and wouldn’t be doing all this if I felt I could play without a buggy.

Visit site
Wow that’s a ridiculous standpoint your club are taking, I would go to the next agm and either go on the committee or try to change the ruling to be a bit more flexible, failing that I would be looking for another club.

Good luck in your match.
Cheers it’s always had a rep for being stuffy and the committee is populated well...... with people who like being in committees if you catch my drift!!!

Visit site
And if my Auntie had balls she would be my Uncle!

The scenario you paint is nothing like the one being experienced by the OP.

There's no defence for the ludicrous lack of common sense being displayed by the officials.

It's the winter foursomes not the bloody Open.
I thank you!!! They had two page letter from the consultant that cleary said I was walking with a pronounced limp dated a few days before. She was aware that I’d had an MRI and spinal steroid injection and asked me how it had gone when is asked to use the buggy Jobsworth!!!

Visit site
Wow quite a scenario but my two highlighted points kinda negate your argument. If I was on my club committee and had to make a ruling on a situation like this I wouldn't accept a 6 month old certificate, I would tell the person to get a current one.
The actual letter was a few days old there were also about 15 emails between me and my consultant discussing the fact that I was still in pain. The final one was with one on the day I asked for a buggy which I passed on to them. They have no excuse.