Most expensive buggy hire ever

Visit site
This will all make you laugh I have recently slipped a disc Im finding it almost impossible to walk. As I have made it to the semi final of our winter foursomes and I don’t want to let my partner down, neither of us have ever been up on a board. I thought I would ask my club handicap secretary and our opponents on Tuesday night if I could use a buggy to play the match this Sunday which was the final day the match could be played on. It like most clubs is against the rules to play in comps with a buggy without a medical exemption.

I provided the club with letter from my Consultant Neurosurgeon to my GP which outlned my symptoms etc. He had sent it to update my GP’s records.

My opponents of course being good sports said they had no problem with me using a buggy. The small advantage I would gain by using one slightly eclipsed by my having to play with a slipped disc.

Ahh but no!! the handicap secretary and now the club secretary insisted that I had the official club medical exemption form completed by my GP. Saying it had to be received by Friday before the secretary’s office closed for the weekend otherwise I would have to play without the buggy and if I used one I would be disqualified.

With 3 days to get this form signed I contacted my local surgery to see if the GP could sign me off. Not surprisingly the earliest appointment I could get was in two weeks unless of course it was an emergency. I told them it was an emergency I needed this document otherwise I couldn’t play in the semi of the winter foursomes blah blah. The receptionist laughed and politely told me to stop wasting her time.

Left with no option I callled the handicap secretary said I couldn’t get the paperwork but surely the letter from the consultant would do. No was the very firm reply but I could scratch from the comp as ‘rules were rules’ it needed to be the official club form and nothing else.

Left with no option. I contacted my consultant who said he could see me in time to sign the form but unfortunately it would have to be a private consultation and it would cost £250. I had no choice I agreed because I couldn’t bring myself to let my mate down, if it were singles I would have just forfeited.

I paid up got the letter and sent it to Ms Computer says no at the club.

So that along with the buggy hire of £25 brings the cost of playing a match at my own club to £275. Priceless!!!

I paid less for lunch and 2 rounds at Carnoustie a few weeks ago.

We better bloody win!

Wish me luck.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Can completely understand your frustrations, but have to give a bit of respect to the club for holding firm.

Ultimately rules are there and if they let one person do it without the proper paperwork, then someone else might make a similar case for a 36 hole match and gain a clear advantage.

It's a slippery slope with regards to buggies. For example, it wasn't so long ago that most clubs / courses only allowed trolleys for people with a doctors note. But ultimately anyone who wanted one could pretty much get one to the point that almost every club just gave in and allowed it. Now it would be unthinkable for all but the likes of St. Andrews to not allow trolleys.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If a letter from a Consultant, confirming injury, isn't enough to let a player use a buggy then someone, somewhere, is taking things just a bit too seriously.
This is Club Golf..it's not The Open
I'd have told them where they could stick their competition and taking my mate out for a couple of jars.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Can completely understand your frustrations, but have to give a bit of respect to the club for holding firm.

Ultimately rules are there and if they let one person do it without the proper paperwork, then someone else might make a similar case for a 36 hole match and gain a clear advantage.

It's a slippery slope with regards to buggies. For example, it wasn't so long ago that most clubs / courses only allowed trolleys for people with a doctors note. But ultimately anyone who wanted one could pretty much get one to the point that almost every club just gave in and allowed it. Now it would be unthinkable for all but the likes of St. Andrews to not allow trolleys.

Sorry no respect at all, the club should be ashamed of themselves and offer to cover the cost of his consultant visit. Too many pompous fools running the game.

What club is it?

Visit site
If a letter from a Consultant, confirming injury, isn't enough to let a player use a buggy then someone, somewhere, is taking things just a bit too seriously.
This is Club Golf..it's not The Open
I'd have told them where they could stick their competition and taking my mate out for a couple of jars.
Believe me I did think of that but I was so annoyed by it all I wasn’t going to back down.

Robin Hood

Visit site
This is the sort of utterly pompous attitudes that gives golf a bad name.
Most golfers and probably all non-golfers would find the situation ridiculous.
I would move clubs.
Good luck in the comp.

Visit site
This is the sort of utterly pompous attitudes that gives golf a bad name.
Most golfers and probably all non-golfers would find the situation ridiculous.
I would move clubs.
Good luck in the comp.
Cheers mate problem is they have me over a barrel all my mates play there. I did think I’d go all Jerry McGuire ‘who is with me’ and leave but it’s the best course around.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
All they had to was accept it and say to any other member that you had the form completed. Would have made a lot more sense.

I'd name and shame the club though

Robin Hood

Visit site
Are the two numptys honorary positions or employees of the club.
If the former then I would try and get them voted off next AGM.
I bet all the members are on your side.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yep you’re right, they could of insisted he walked and risked him damaging his back further, possibly at great financial risk to himself if he needed to have time of work etc or he may tripped on the course and then blame the club and sue them.

All in the name of sticking rigidly to rules!:rolleyes:

He’s genuine, opponents agreed, club should simply requested he gets the relevant paperwork to them when possible, even after the event, and good luck in the final.

Ridiculous situation.

Visit site
Are the two numptys honorary positions or employees of the club.
If the former then I would try and get them voted off next AGM.
I bet all the members are on your side.
Handcaps is a member and honorary club sec is an employee. Both actually said why didn’t my partner just play on his own I had to remind them it was 4somes unbelievable

Visit site
Yep you’re right, they could of insisted he walked and risked him damaging his back further, possibly at great financial risk to himself if he needed to have time of work etc or he may tripped on the course and then blame the club and sue them.

All in the name of sticking rigidly to rules!:rolleyes:

He’s genuine, opponents agreed, club should simply requested he gets the relevant paperwork to them when possible, even after the event, and good luck in the final.

Ridiculous situation.
Spot on!! And every member I spoken to thinks it’s outrageous. Other than committee members they are all sticking together. Suppose they have to even if they think it’s nonsense