Monty puts the boot in

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
But at least the English have a number of players in the top 50 in the world. I would have thought the home of golf would have tried harder, maybe if you gave up the free Uni education and spent the cash on golf development that might help ;)

B

birdieman

Scotland has never had many great players at once, Braid, Lyle, Torrance, Monty...Lawrie??....that's it for 140 years isn't it? - it's hardly a recent problem! :eek:

Parmo, the free Uni education quip just sounds like sour grapes! Are you up to your eyes in student debt perhaps?? :rolleyes:

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon it is just the forums bitter man Parmo, up to his usual bitter views.

I agree with Birdie, What great Scotish golfers?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
lol yep thats me all bitter :p. I was just pointing out the fact that maybe with all the British cash they could invest some in golf, jesus you try and help some people. Anyway there doesnt seem to be a shortage of NI golfers.

and ntl keep your nose out ;)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
ntl? im not a phone company.

Come on parmo lighten up. This is fun remember that is why we come on here.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scotland has never had many great players at once, Braid, Lyle, Torrance, Monty... Lawrie ??....that's it for 140 years isn't it? - it's hardly a recent problem! :eek:

Parmo, the free Uni education quip just sounds like sour grapes! Are you up to your eyes in student debt perhaps?? :rolleyes:

You must have been :eek:ing when you added him birdieman. Scotlands very own Ian Poulter (average golfer who got lucky).

Before I get torn to bits, his last round at the '99 Open was amazing but he is hardly a legend in the sport.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok. Maybe we are not talking about “great golfers” as such but Scotland regularly provided three (think we had four once) Ryder Cup players. Monty apart I don’t think anybody will be near to qualifying. Maybe we are still providing the same calibre of player but there are better players now coming from Scandinavia etc. that are forcing Scots further down the order of merit

Maybe we are now so poor that this was why they changed the format of the Dunhill as Scotland would not be able to find enough players for a team of three :D :D

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is similar to what Frank Lampard said regarding young footballers having no respect for the game as long as they get the material lifestyle they are all looking for. The same may be said for young golfers who perhaps lack that little bit of hunger that makes them great. We have just as many rising starts that have not gone onto bigger and better things in the form of Gordon Sherry, Lloyd Saltman, Ritcie Ramsay, and Stephen O'hara. When you look at where Travino came from he HAD to make it or he would have spent his life hustling for money but Stephen O'hara strolls along in his lovely BMW with al the air of a successful golfer because he has a few bob and a nice car. Where is his motivation?

B

birdieman

Madandra, would agree, that's why I put ?? by Lawrie's name, he's not great but he did win the Open(ok courtesy of a daft Frenchman).

Bernhard Gallacher, Ken Brown(anglo scot), Brian Barnes(anglo scot) are about the only other Scots I can think of who won anything of note without going way back to Old Tom Morris etc. Lyle was an anglo-scot too, a Shropshire lad really with Scots parentage.

Poulter's getting a bit of stick on here...think the saying "talks the talk but can't walk the walk" springs to mind for him!

I fear we're going to have to find an Australian with a Scottish granny to adopt as one of our own...as the Rughy team frequently does.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lawrie.....great......

2 words not usually associated.

Maybe Monty should go and help out with emerging talent, instead of taking cheap shots.

Sorry Paul Lawrie.....great win, great champion, great playoff, perhaps great (as a word) does come into it after all.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Paul Lawrie thing is a grey area for me because I love him for having the balls to fly his 4 iron over the bunker AND sink the putt for birdie but I can't help but think he was given a bye from JVDV.

GREAT final round and play off but I am all confused now
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
David Howell is the only British golfer i rate at the moment...all the rest haven't the "low hanging fruit" to be a major winner...and i'm a scotsman, who's father was one of the best amateur golfers of his generation...beating Sandy Sadler at the Am Open back in the good ol' days...holding an arm full of trophys from the New Club, StAndrews...sorry :eek:, blowing the family trumpet there...
We have great talent in the UK, they just need to BELIEVE they can beat Woods...then they will...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've never really thought about the Scottish lack of achievement (always felt English golf was doing a good enough job of under achieving for the whole UK).

The usual suspects (Lyle Torrance etc) apart I'm not sure there is a specific reason why it should be so. They have by far and away the greatest courses to play on and a lot of fantastic practice facilities attached to the major venues.

Perhaps it is a lack of funding, but there is certainly a smaller pool from which to nurtue upcoming talent. Maybe todays golfers (not just the Scots) are happy to make a comfortable living and lack the hunger of their predecessors

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
and there you have it Homer. They have the greatest courses to practice on and what do they do - beetle off to the US, chasing the buck and playing catch-up with kids who grew up on manicured target golf courses.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you've hit the nail on the head Homer, no hunger.

Due to the huge amounts of money in golf, guys can earn a reasonable living by being "middle of the pack".

Marc Warren was scolded by Bob Torrance just before he won the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles. He was moaning about having to practice. Bob tore a strip off him.

The telling off obviously worked, he won the tournament, but I think it gives a wee insight into the mentality. Some of them don't know how lucky they are.

I moan because I don't have enough time to practice. I would give one of my nadgers for a wee shot at being a pro. I would be pish, but it wouldn't be for the lack of practicing!!

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Me too stevie, i would give my right arm to have the life pro golfers have, but if i gave my right arm i wouldn't be able to play hehe so i donate a nad too