Modern Drivers vs older Tech.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rooting around in the press today i came across one of the 1st drivers i ever hit... Its an Old Mizuno Mx500 with a stiff Aldila NV65 Green shaft in it.....
This was given to me by my Dad about 8 yrs ago i think iirc, long before i ever even got hooked on the game....
Did anyone every use one of these?.....
Has technology come so far that this driver is kind of obsolete now?...... Could it hold up to any of the newer stuff?.....

Im going to play a few holes tomorrow after work with a Pal of mine and im half tempted to bring it along....

Does anyone still use woods that would be considered more than 6 years old?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would have thought the peripheral weighting and forgiveness will have improved but should be fun to hit the old girl again. I still have a persimmon wood made for my 18th birthday. Now that is a beast to play these days. How did we cope?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've still got a taylormade system 2 driver in stiff with the flexitwist graphite shaft, I think it's circa 88-90... I'm going to game it again,

It was a great driver and got me to 10, it's now smaller than my amp 3w.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got the Ping G5 driver in my bag. Still goes ok :)

Bob would you believe my pal that im playing with tomorrow evening plays off 3 and just bought one of these tonight for 40 euro.... A bargain i think.... It'll be interesting having a whack with it tomorrow.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play with an old Adams (not quite 6 years old) that does the trick for me (usually), but after watching Birchy and Junior effortlessly striping their SLDR's at Frodsham last weekend I'm seriously tempted..:D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The longest driver I ever owned was a TM R540XD TP, went a blood mile, shame it got banned. That would be something like 12 years old now. Like Homer said I think the peripheral weighting has changed and it has made drivers easier to hit long distances and straighter for all abilities.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a Callaway FT 3 which must be more than 6 years old. It was way ahead of its time, hated by some, cherished by others and I'd be surprised if there's much more than 10 yds in it between that and any of the modern drivers

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've kept my drivers over the years and are in the loft, I was looking at them the other day funnily enough. I had a big Bertha 2w, followed by a Mizuno T Zoid dr n 3w then went to Titleist 9something/something J, then 983 is it, 905, got a Ft15 3w, then went to Mizuno Mp 600 and 630 now a Wishon 919. But I got a RAM persimmon dr 3&5w before metal metals came out and a Dynacraft Persimmon that's never been hit. Wish I kept an old balata ball and give these young kids a go and see how they get on with what we old urns had to put up with. :eek:ne:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've got the Ping G5 driver in my bag. Still goes ok :)

Bob would you believe my pal that im playing with tomorrow evening plays off 3 and just bought one of these tonight for 40 euro.... A bargain i think.... It'll be interesting having a whack with it tomorrow.

that came out 6 years ago, not that old really. I use a 15 year old callaway steelhead fairway (not a driver I know but still outperforms most fairways)

Mizuno did an experiment last year with Chris Wood hitting 3 drivers from a persimmon through an early metal head and their latest 460cc. AFAIR there was about 80 yds difference between the small persimmon and 460cc

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
that came out 6 years ago, not that old really. I use a 15 year old callaway steelhead fairway (not a driver I know but still outperforms most fairways)

Bit older than that I think. 2005? Maybe (Early?) 2006 in UK. From memory, it was a tad disappointing, but that was mainly because it didn't to be much better than the G2, which was such an advance on eatlier Ping Drivers, and Ping's 2 year cycle implied greater advances each release. That was about the time when TM really started the 'every quarter' release of Drivers - each, supposedly, giving extra distance - so a 2 year cycle should have meant huge gains!

Steelhead is still a great FW - along with Hawkeye, TM200, TEE CB1 and a host of others (like my NP99). It's only quite recently that the big boys have started to target the 3W for performance improvements.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
foxy wins with 2006 so 8 years ago uk:smirk: (2006 confused me in these wee small hours:lol:) still not that old and stands against todays so called uber tech

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I would argue that statement.

http://www.ping.com/about/decade.aspx?decade=2000 scroll through the pics to 2005...:p
Any which way for a driver that is 8/9 years old it is still a great piece of kit.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm currently using a Rapture V2 (2009?) and don't notice much difference between it and my old X Hot. It's all about the shaft!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have an old Persimmon Titliest driver, steel shaft of course. Hit out of the centre its comparable with today's kit. Hit off centre - ouch! It has resided in the wardrobe for years and only comes out occasionally.