Mobile phones under new rules?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All
What is and is not allowed under new rules regarding use of phones on course ..

We have new club app . Does a course fly over and will work as a gps aswell .

The gps doesnt move with u . U refresh it when u get to your ball ..

Are all phones allowed no restrictions or what is the story please

Thank you

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All
What is and is not allowed under new rules regarding use of phones on course ..

Are all phones allowed no restrictions or what is the story please

The use of phones as phone is still down to the Terms of Competition or the Club Regulations.

You may not get advice via use of a phone

The rule re Distance Measuring Devices was changed.

Pre 2019 Rule: Rule 14-3b, Appendix IA (section 7) and Appendix IV (section 5) cover distance measuring devices (DMDs):
 The Rule itself prohibits use of DMDs to measure distance during a round.
 But a Committee may adopt a Local Rule allowing such use of DMDs.

2019 Rule: The current default position in the Rules will be reversed:
 Rule 4.3 will allow players to use DMDs to measure distance.
 But a Committee may adopt a Local Rule prohibiting such use of DMDs.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
y
The use of phones as phone is still down to the Terms of Competition or the Club Regulations.

You may not get advice via use of a phone

The rule re Distance Measuring Devices was changed.

Pre 2019 Rule: Rule 14-3b, Appendix IA (section 7) and Appendix IV (section 5) cover distance measuring devices (DMDs):
 The Rule itself prohibits use of DMDs to measure distance during a round.
 But a Committee may adopt a Local Rule allowing such use of DMDs.

2019 Rule: The current default position in the Rules will be reversed:
 Rule 4.3 will allow players to use DMDs to measure distance.
 But a Committee may adopt a Local Rule prohibiting such use of DMDs.
Many thanks
. When u say u may not get advice . Yardage is not usually considered advice so is it ok to use it for that ?
Thank u

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The definition of "advice" in the Rule book clearly EXCLUDES distance from one point to another. It is NOT advice.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many thanks . When u say u may not get advice . Yardage is not usually considered advice so is it ok to use it for that ? Thank u [/QUOTE said:
The definition of "advice" in the Rule book clearly EXCLUDES distance from one point to another. It is NOT advice.

Thank u
Thank u

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
You can get plenty of apps that update your yardage as you you rather then having to refresh all the time-might be worth a thought what with all the talk about slow play at the minute ???

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As already said (more of disciplinary issue) make sure to read any clubs local rules re use of phones on the course.

Make sure any app you use conforms

eg if your app recommends a particular club it would break a rule.

e.g storage of information
3) Information Gathered Before or During Round.

• Allowed.
 Using information that was gathered before the round (such as playing information from previous rounds, swing tips or club recommendations), or
 Recording (for use after the round) playing or physiological information from the round (such as club distance, playing statistics or heart rate).

• Not Allowed.
 Processing or interpreting playing information from the round (such as club recommendations based on current round distances), or
 Using any physiological information recorded during the round.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
When the good people at the R&A and USGA begin contributing to my golf expenses, then I'll consider obsessing over their rules.
Until then, I'm content to establish rules over coffee* before advancing to the first tee.

The weekday playing seniors at our club seem quite comfortable with this protocol.
If I'm invited somewhere else to play in a member-guest event, then I review the rule book like a sixteen year old reviewing the driving rules book before taking the written test.

Are I and the miscreants with whom I play the only ones to do that? I tend to doubt it, but I haven't played golf in the UK.

*I do drink tea, but only at a Chinese restaurant. Their tea is not strong and basically tastes like warm water. Soothes the tummy after over-eating.
And also at 4 o'clock PM in a Bermuda hotel.
Not sure what that's about, but their tea is actually pretty good. And it comes with little bites to eat.

RulesGuy

Visit site
What a great idea. Why the hell should we obey their rules if they are not even going to have the good grace to pay us. When we play we also have our own rules. If we land land in a bunker we just throw it out, if the ball is within 40 yards we consider it holed, a lost ball – no worries chuck another down and continue as though nothing happened. Sometimes we don't even bother going out and score ourselves 3 under gross. As for handicaps we think of a number and double it.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
What a great idea. Why the hell should we obey their rules if they are not even going to have the good grace to pay us. When we play we also have our own rules. If we land land in a bunker we just throw it out, if the ball is within 40 yards we consider it holed, a lost ball – no worries chuck another down and continue as though nothing happened. Sometimes we don't even bother going out and score ourselves 3 under gross. As for handicaps we think of a number and double it.

Wow!
Your rules are a lot more liberal than ours.
We overlook a fifteenth club, don't monitor one another's GPS devices for rules infractions, and don't measure the groove depth on one another's wedges,
but otherwise, it's pretty close to Marquess of Queensberry. We even count pretty well for old people.

Now, however, you've opened up entirely new avenues for consideration. Thank you.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
When the good people at the R&A and USGA begin contributing to my golf expenses, then I'll consider obsessing over their rules.
Until then, I'm content to establish rules over coffee* before advancing to the first tee.

The weekday playing seniors at our club seem quite comfortable with this protocol.
If I'm invited somewhere else to play in a member-guest event, then I review the rule book like a sixteen year old reviewing the driving rules book before taking the written test.

Are I and the miscreants with whom I play the only ones to do that? I tend to doubt it, but I haven't played golf in the UK.

*I do drink tea, but only at a Chinese restaurant. Their tea is not strong and basically tastes like warm water. Soothes the tummy after over-eating.
Not sure what that's about, but their tea is actually pretty good. And it comes with little bites to eat.
Yep sounds like the Americans I have played with.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

It seems rather perverse and rather pointless to pretend to make meaningful contributions to a forum titles Rules of Golf. Perhaps you would be better off elsewhere.

What other activities do you take part in and ignore the rules? Poker? Do you cheat when playing your grandkids at checkers?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It seems rather perverse and rather pointless to pretend to make meaningful contributions to a forum titles Rules of Golf. Perhaps you would be better off elsewhere.

What other activities do you take part in and ignore the rules? Poker? Do you cheat when playing your grandkids at checkers?

My son and daughter, both in their forties, have chosen to not procreate.
Thus I'm deprived of the opportunity to cheat grandkids at checkers...although I'm sure it would have been fun to do so.

Have you not heard the adage, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying?"

We're led by a cretinous president who cheats at everything. Compared to that troglodyte, I'm actually a mensch!

Edit: I should have mentioned that cheating at poker is ill-advised since so many Americans carry concealed firearms.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well. The good news to take it in good spirit.
But you may find many Brits are rather more straight laced :eek:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

I have no problem with anyone who wants to adapt the rules when playing in non-qualifying, friendly games. I am curious about how the group establishes which rules are OK to break and which ones are not. There must be an awful lot of negotiation in the clubhouse before the round starts!