Mobile phones under new rules?

Swango1980

Visit site
I have no problem with anyone who wants to adapt the rules when playing in non-qualifying, friendly games. I am curious about how the group establishes which rules are OK to break and which ones are not. There must be an awful lot of negotiation in the clubhouse before the round starts!
Shep, can you tell us of the irregular rules you play in your golf society days out? They intrigue me :)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I presume using a temperature reading app on a phone is still not allowed?

We are basically in the realms of trust as many devices all have functions which aren't allowed in play - eg DMV with slope that has to be turned of during play.

Will be interesting how we handle some of these in WHS when rules set for a competition may differ from normal play

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have no problem with anyone who wants to adapt the rules when playing in non-qualifying, friendly games. I am curious about how the group establishes which rules are OK to break and which ones are not. There must be an awful lot of negotiation in the clubhouse before the round starts!

We're Americans, remember?
We start with the assumption that the only rule is that there are no rules.
If somebody wants to modify that, then we decide whether or not to find a replacement for the foursome.

There's one group with whom I occasionally play---Pete, Mike, and Pio---
who don't believe in even keeping score. None of the three has ever held an index or handicap.
They pay their dues and play as they like to play.
The bets usually involve making or not making a called shot.

Most of us, however, play the ball as it lies and count accurately.
We just don't worry about stuff like a fifteenth club, excessively deep wedge grooves, non-approved GPS aps,
or juicing up on steroids, a chronic problem among us seniors.

Swango1980

Visit site
I presume using a temperature reading app on a phone is still not allowed?

We are basically in the realms of trust as many devices all have functions which aren't allowed in play - eg DMV with slope that has to be turned of during play.

Will be interesting how we handle some of these in WHS when rules set for a competition may differ from normal play
Rule 4.3a (2)

ALLOWED

Getting any type of weather information (including wind speed) that is available from weather forecasts, or

Measuring temperature and humidity at the course

NOT ALLOWED

Measuring wind speed at the course, or

Using an artificial object to get other wind-related information (such as using powder to access wind direction)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) I presume using a temperature reading app on a phone is still not allowed?

2) Will be interesting how we handle some of these in WHS when rules set for a competition may differ from normal play
1) This has always been allowed
2) No different to CONGU now. But instead of it being a non qualifier it will be a not acceptable score - for handicap purposes only

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Society generally play it by the book. On the other hand I've organised days out with all sorts of oddities; metoos, mulligans, leather wedges, Portuguese caddies et al... all's fair as long as everyone plays to the same rules.

Totally agree. club comp/qualifying round etc, play to the rules 100% no question. A knock about with your mates? Play whatever game/rules you want as long as it doesn't negatively affect other players or the course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a great idea. Why the hell should we obey their rules if they are not even going to have the good grace to pay us. When we play we also have our own rules. If we land land in a bunker we just throw it out, if the ball is within 40 yards we consider it holed, a lost ball – no worries chuck another down and continue as though nothing happened. Sometimes we don't even bother going out and score ourselves 3 under gross. As for handicaps we think of a number and double it.
And we might wonder how Trump manages to play off a handicap of 2.8 ?