Mizuno MP-58

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello chaps, I am trying to get some feedback from people that play the Mizuno MP-58 irons. I went into my local AG yesterday and they had some pre-owned 5-PW for £349 but was told they could do them for £270, they looked in very good condition. Do you think this is a good deal?

I tried out the 7i and 5i on the screen thing they have and they were very nice to hit. The 7i was getting distances of around 150-170 yards and the 5i from 190-215 yards.

I am very tempted by these but want other peoples views of them before committing to them.

Thanks.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say £270 for a set of Mizuno irons is pretty good value as long as they're in good condition (not too battered and dinged).

Not hit the 58's myself though so I can't comment on how good they are, but if you hit them well and you can afford them, why not take a chance?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aztecs, thanks for the response. Got to say they looked like they had hardly been used. So tempted right now, even HID offered to buy them for me.

DO IT MAN!!!!!!!!! :D

I make no effort to hide my Mizzy love (some call it obsession :D) love-in, but they make superb irons and look the bidnis.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have them, they're wonderful if you're swinging well. There's not a lot of forgiveness in them if you're having an off day.
They're not quite pure blades but the look and play like them.
To be honest I may be changing mine sometime soon. I need to have my A game in tow to get the best from them so might be "down-grading" to find a bit of forgiveness.

But a great iron if you have the swing for them.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have them, they're wonderful if you're swinging well. There's not a lot of forgiveness in them if you're having an off day.
To be honest I may be changing mine sometime soon. I need to have my A game in tow to get the best from them so might be "down-grading" to find a bit of forgiveness.

JPX-800 pro! You know it makes sense! :cool:

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That's my worry. I play off of 17 and sometimes have an off day, but tried them out in AG and was hitting them fine having not stretched or warmed up or anything. Think I need to take my clubs in with me and compare the difference really.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello chaps, I am trying to get some feedback from people that play the Mizuno MP-58 irons. I went into my local AG yesterday and they had some pre-owned 5-PW for £349 but was told they could do them for £270, they looked in very good condition. Do you think this is a good deal?

I tried out the 7i and 5i on the screen thing they have and they were very nice to hit. The 7i was getting distances of around 150-170 yards and the 5i from 190-215 yards.

I am very tempted by these but want other peoples views of them before committing to them.

Thanks.

As a Mizuno owner, you can't get better than Mizzy clubs! :p

Seriously though, you need to check a few things out before purchasing them...

[1] As they are pre-owned, ask if they are standard loft, lie, shaft length, grip size, etc. They could be custom clubs...hence low price...
[2] Take in your existing clubs and compare irons performance on their launch monitor (I assume that's what you meant by 'screen'??). As a rough guide you should be getting about 6000 rpm for a 6i, and this should be consistent. This checks that the shaft is OK for you.
[3] Ask yourself if you are happy with the forgiveness of the MP58s cf. your current clubs...
[4] Check that same shaft is used across all irons.

If all above is kosher, then that's a bargain, IMHO. :D

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AG always use the service's of a local clubsmith,they are also obsessed with offloading old stock and trade ins.
As with any Forged Iron,i'd want them loft and lie checked (about a £25ish job)so i'd insist on that for starters,take pound notes in with you,tell them you'll do a deal there and then if they'll drop the price a little more and get the loft and lie checked.All the best.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oooh Yea! How you getting on with them mate? Are they everything you ever dreamed of? (Until next week when you change brands again :D)

sweet..ball flight has come down a treat and I'm airmailing every green due to the extra distance :eek: :D

Once I dial in the yardages, I might actually start posting some scores.

They're in the bag to stay!! :D

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes they may be nice to hit but why not get fit for them first yes they are cheap but it could still be a mistake