Wedge Advice- Mizuno/Vokey

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Needing a bit of advice from anyone in the know, preferably that have tried both SM7s and T20s.

I am upgrading my wedges from Mizuno T7s and to be honest, if I could get them again I would. Best wedges I've owned. Unfortunately I haven't come across the T20s anywhere to try (or even look at) but the photos I've seen look chunky. Are they hugely different from the T7s? Or should I take a leap of faith that they are similar enough to the ones I carry? Alternatively the SM7s do look nice also.

Any thoughts are gratefully received. There is also part of me that thinks these are probably the 2 most similar wedges on the market.

Regarding wedge set up, I have always fit the same as my irons- same shaft lie etc. How would people suggest to go? I know many get a flatter lie on the club to help with opening up the wedge and also others who get softer shafts. What's the thoughts on this? I use Project X 6.5 so very shift, possibly too stiff for a wedge.

Finally, Raw or not? I like the rusted look. But does it impact on the performance or make the wedges wear quicker?

Thanks for any help folks, appreciate it.

Visit site
I can't comment on those wedges as I don't like the chunky bounces you get on them. But you are correct in thinking that 6.5 will be too stiff for wedges. Tour players who use X100 will go to S400 in their wedges for the softer flex but be similar in weight as X100. Ive just put Steelfiber fc115 in my irons but put i110 in my wedges.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've not seen the T20's in the flesh but agree that they look a little chunky in the photos. Maybe different in the flesh.

I've played Vokeys since they came out, upgrading every year. They've never let me down for performance or choice. Although I fancy giving the Cleveland RTX a bash - maybe thats just a case of boredom.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Needing a bit of advice from anyone in the know, preferably that have tried both SM7s and T20s.

I am upgrading my wedges from Mizuno T7s and to be honest, if I could get them again I would. Best wedges I've owned. Unfortunately I haven't come across the T20s anywhere to try (or even look at) but the photos I've seen look chunky. Are they hugely different from the T7s? Or should I take a leap of faith that they are similar enough to the ones I carry? Alternatively the SM7s do look nice also.

Any thoughts are gratefully received. There is also part of me that thinks these are probably the 2 most similar wedges on the market.

Regarding wedge set up, I have always fit the same as my irons- same shaft lie etc. How would people suggest to go? I know many get a flatter lie on the club to help with opening up the wedge and also others who get softer shafts. What's the thoughts on this? I use Project X 6.5 so very shift, possibly too stiff for a wedge.

Finally, Raw or not? I like the rusted look. But does it impact on the performance or make the wedges wear quicker?

From memory you're in Edinburgh?

Go and see Scott Gourlay and get something from him. He also does Mizuno so may have the heads in stock. If not he'll have numerous "sexy" offerings. Guaranteed he'll have something that suits your eye and hopefully your wallet!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i can't comment on the T20 Jamie, but ive always found Vokey where harder feeling than Mizuno and gave less feedback.

Ive not liked the last 4 lots of Mizuno wedges released, so when my MP10 were worn so much i got MPT5 new which had been long discontinued from Grieves Sports.

If you like the T7 trawl the web untill you find some

edit, my mate who has the Mizuno dealer In sneck still only has the T7, that can't be unusual so must be plenty still knocking around

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use Vokey wedges - currently SM7s and really like them to the point I would normally go with Vokey again when they are worn out.

However, when I got fitted for my Mizuno irons recently I spent some time hitting the T20 and they were really nice. Come on lots of loft / bounce / grind options and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference to the Vokeys. Looked good too.

A serious alternative.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Regarding wedge set up, I have always fit the same as my irons- same shaft lie etc. How would people suggest to go? I know many get a flatter lie on the club to help with opening up the wedge and also others who get softer shafts.

The modern trend is to buy the sole type ie grind depending on what you do with the wedges rather than opting for flatter lies.

I use softer shafts (e.g. R300 in TTDG) simply because I very rarely swing full out with a wedge and use much more of a controlled slower swing.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
From memory you're in Edinburgh?

Go and see Scott Gourlay and get something from him. He also does Mizuno so may have the heads in stock. If not he'll have numerous "sexy" offerings. Guaranteed he'll have something that suits your eye and hopefully your wallet!
Good shout, I may pop by

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i can't comment on the T20 Jamie, but ive always found Vokey where harder feeling than Mizuno and gave less feedback.

Ive not liked the last 4 lots of Mizuno wedges released, so when my MP10 were worn so much i got MPT5 new which had been long discontinued from Grieves Sports.

If you like the T7 trawl the web untill you find some

edit, my mate who has the Mizuno dealer In sneck still only has the T7, that can't be unusual so must be plenty still knocking around

Annoyingly I was in the sneck at the weekend. May have a look. I think I need to see the T20s in the flesh to be honest

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
You should give Cleveland rtx 4 a try, just over a month ago I got a fitting and was more interested in the sm7, md4 and t20 I settled on the rtx4 which i didn't really consider, beautiful at address and in the bag, easy grind options full, mid, low and xlow, there is less offset than the sm7 and md4, just a great wedge all round

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wedges have gone Cleveland-Mizuno-Vokey-Cleveland over the years. Without a doubt the Cleveland RTX in their various iterations have been the best for me, with the Vokeys my least favourite, despite wanting to like them as I've a bag full of Titleist and a touch of OCD...

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I used Vokey SM7's but switched to Mizuno S18's this year. I've seen and hit the T20's and they are really nice and a slightly smaller profile to the S18's and if I hadn't got S18's at reduced price due to T20's coming out would have gone for T20's.

As with all I would hit all as the reason I switched to the mizuno was the grinds suited my eye and play more than the SM7's, I didn't find any other difference really, spin, flight etc not much to choose between them. The mizuno just fit my eye better