Wedge Advice- Mizuno/Vokey

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure there's a huge difference.

I tried both when I got mine and ended up going Vokey... main reasons were the variances available in terms of bounce / sole combos. As well as the look, which I much preferred from the Vokey brushed metal.

D

Deleted member 3432

A lot of misplaced brand snobbery around Vokey wedges.

Lots of tour use for sure but its not due to a buttery soft forged feel.

Its clever marketing having so many different bounce and grind options available but for the majority of us all the major manufacturers will have enough options that would suit our games.

Had plenty of wedges over the years (currenty Cleveland RTX 2 which are ok) including a couple of sets of Vokeys and the only one's I can honestly say I loved were Mizuno MPT wedges from about 10-12 years ago. Not really liked the look of more recent Mizuno wedges.

A cast wedge feels like a cast wedge, simple as that for me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Its clever marketing having so many different bounce and grind options available but for the majority of us all the major manufacturers will have enough options that would suit our games.

Had plenty of wedges over the years (currenty Cleveland RTX 2 which are ok) including a couple of sets of Vokeys and the only one's I can honestly say I loved were Mizuno MPT wedges from about 10-12 years ago. Not really liked the look of more recent Mizuno wedges.

i would agree with all that, not liked any of the last few releases of Mizuno wedges, using MPT5, but still not as nice as the MP10

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

The last sentence is key!

I prefer the cast Glide wedges to anything I've played. Feel is Avery subjective beast!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Needing a bit of advice from anyone in the know, preferably that have tried both SM7s and T20s.

I am upgrading my wedges from Mizuno T7s and to be honest, if I could get them again I would. Best wedges I've owned. Unfortunately I haven't come across the T20s anywhere to try (or even look at) but the photos I've seen look chunky. Are they hugely different from the T7s? Or should I take a leap of faith that they are similar enough to the ones I carry? Alternatively the SM7s do look nice also.

Any thoughts are gratefully received. There is also part of me that thinks these are probably the 2 most similar wedges on the market.

Regarding wedge set up, I have always fit the same as my irons- same shaft lie etc. How would people suggest to go? I know many get a flatter lie on the club to help with opening up the wedge and also others who get softer shafts. What's the thoughts on this? I use Project X 6.5 so very shift, possibly too stiff for a wedge.

Finally, Raw or not? I like the rusted look. But does it impact on the performance or make the wedges wear quicker?

Thanks for any help folks, appreciate it.

Having owned mpt4 wedges in satin black, I found the premature ageing of premium club quote disappointing given the pride I take in clean clubs. That aside IMHO the forged mizuno wedges felt and performed so much better than the cast Vokey they replaced.

I’m not up to date on the latest SM range so cannot comment on them, just historical experiences.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Having owned mpt4 wedges in satin black, I found the premature ageing of premium club quote disappointing given the pride I take in clean clubs. That aside IMHO the forged mizuno wedges felt and performed so much better than the cast Vokey they replaced.

I’m not up to date on the latest SM range so cannot comment on them, just historical experiences.
i quite like the way the black comes off and ages, would buy black ones again no problem... Blue on the other hand... they can keep those and blue is my fav colour too:)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Find all the vokeys arn't forged comments quite funny, if the titleist tour staff wanted forged they would get forged. The fact vokey doesn't forge its tour offerings says everything you need to know. I've hit mizuno wedges and dont find they feel any better or worse than vokeys, I do much prefer the look of vokey wedges so I play them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Find all the vokeys arn't forged comments quite funny, if the titleist tour staff wanted forged they would get forged. The fact vokey doesn't forge its tour offerings says everything you need to know. I've hit mizuno wedges and dont find they feel any better or worse than vokeys, I do much prefer the look of vokey wedges so I play them.

Wait till you get the "buttery soft" comments. That always cracks me up!