Mizuno JPX 800 irons

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gents,
Any thoughts on the JPX 800's, i have been toiling now for 4 months with these babies, really tempted to go back to my Wilson DI6 irons. Can't seem to get any consistency with them or distance control, and around the greens is a nightmare, the ball seems to come off the face like a rocket. Can a new set of irons do that to you? or is it just between the ears.

A

Alex1975

They are supper hot off the face, its not in your head. they were made that way. They are a cast club that was made for the game improver. They are meant to be supper long, even longer than the JPX pro. In fact when I was fitted for my MP-53 the fitter told me the JPX would be 30 yards longer per club then the 53s.

I had never considered that that would be a problem around the green but I can understand it.

How many games you played with them?

Oh ye, welcome to the forum

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Alex, Thought i was losing my marbles with them, i knew they were cast but never thought for a minute they'd be that 'hot off the face'. I find that the distance varies by as much as 20 yds at times which makes it almost impossible to work out clubbing. I've played about twice a week since March with them and practised, guilty of not trying them before just reading all the hype. 'Anybody want to buy a set of Mizuno JPX 800' time i think and go back to what i know and can control. I appreciate your input Alex. :)

DCB

Visit site
What kind of ball are you using ? A slightly softer ball may help.

I tried out the JPX 800s and didn't go for them as I got a very good deal on the 800Pros. I did feel they were a bit longer, but to be honest, I didn't have issues with the spread of the shots. they were fairly consistent for me. If I hadn't had such a good offer on the Pros I'd have taken these no problem at all.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
DCB, Using a Pro-v, always have so i reckon it's between me and the clubs, and as you know it can never be the user :D, really don't know whether to stick with them or jump ship, the rest of my games sound, just these bloody irons .

A

Alex1975

Thanks Alex, Thought i was losing my marbles with them, i knew they were cast but never thought for a minute they'd be that 'hot off the face'. I find that the distance varies by as much as 20 yds at times which makes it almost impossible to work out clubbing. I've played about twice a week since March with them and practised, guilty of not trying them before just reading all the hype. 'Anybody want to buy a set of Mizuno JPX 800' time i think and go back to what i know and can control. I appreciate your input Alex. :)

The 20 yard difference must be from hitting the sweet spot or not. Maybe your old irons did not have such a difference between the sweet spot and a slight miss hit.

I guess that if you hit the 800s 7 iron 170 yards but the bad one is 150 you have to think of it as a 170 yard club and play for a sweet shot. Touch around the green is not a GI clubs strong point I guess as the big sweet spot makes the club "feel" a little less?!

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mines seem fine around the greens and I'm happy with the consistancy. I've not played that much with them yet though, just a few rounds and a couple of range sessions but I'm quite pleased with how they feel.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the Pros I find them very consistent and great feel too ( but the pros are forged not cast)
The 20 yards you mention must be a swing flaw - but then i did find my pIngs which were also cast were silly long - I've always found forged clubs play shorter.
Might be an idea to have a lesson and see what that does, then take a view

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The JPX800 are a good club and I wish I would have brought them now. As mentioned above a slight mishit will result in different distances but it still gets the ball out there, thats what a GI iron is supposed to do when you dont hit the sweet spot.

Simo19

Hacker
Visit site
I have the 800 pro's, fully fitted at Wrexham, and find them an excellent club, but do understand what you are saying around the green, with my previous clubs I was very accurate with my 8 iron chipping low around the greens but the pro's seem to have much more roll on them for the same club, although the overall distances( full swing) are quite similar. I now have 54 deg, 60 deg and 64 deg wedges but I would imagine it is just a learning curve with new clubs to gain the same level of consistency as I did have the previous set for a good number of years.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just never got on with JPX800's or the pro's when I was trying clubs out. never felt right. I could could hit them Ok but to me as insensitive as 'Men behaving badly'.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The trouble with Mizuno is everyone seems to want to play them despite the fact that even their friendliest irons are not that friendly.

I've had astrons, dominos, TPs (ok, a bit mad), and recently MX-900s. There must be about 1,000 other irons more suited to the average player. The lengths are weird, the lies often well different to Callaways and Pings and recently they've started getting silly with the lofts.

Dear oh dear.

I do like them, but I can easily see why average joe bloggs players don't get the best out of them.