Mizuno Iron Fitting - Not your usual story....

T

thecraw

No it's not. The only thing dangerous is believing it is the be-all and end-all in fitting. It's a guide and a starting guide only. The refinement comes from an experienced fitter and the client feedback. Trackman is just as 'dangerous' when shops 'juice up' the software inputs to give you a mythical 30yards to get the sale.

And that's what Mizuno want you to do. They took out the Scottish National Fitting Centre and rolled out these carts and their be all and end all swing DNA gizmo. The DNA thing can be manipulated as I have seen in action. The results can be so far wrong as per this thread that its incredible.

Its a dangerous tool and even more dangerous in the wrong hands. As a starting point I would even have my reservations about that as well.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to say Im with Craw on this the more I hear about the DNA, as I said to Al earlier when we played a few holes. Never a danger for someone like Al and his fitting but I think there are plenty out there with the wrong shaft from using the DNA. I get the using it for a start point but I dont think enough people use it that way. You often here people say things like "it said the 3 shafts for me to choose between were". Clearly, as is proven above, a decent fitter doesnt need a DNA tool to find a start point anyway, he can tell from watching a golfer hit shots (and ideally from Trackman or similar data) very quickly which shafts do and dont fit

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i have quite happily played with nike pro combo rifle 5.0 for the last 4 years. i bought mizuno mp52's with project x 6.0.

i never been fitted so its just a case of putting a good swing on it and they will perform! no doubt a fitting would find my optimum shaft.

enjoy buddy :) glad to hear you are hitting them well !

DCB

Visit site
TheCraw has a valid point regarding the Mizuno DNA system. If someone walks in off the street with no real knowledge of the importance of the right shaft, it would be quite easy for them to be sold a pup using this system as a quick means for a sale. I'm sure there are folks on here who have had Mizuno clubs through their hands in the last three years since the Swing DNA system was introduced who have changed again as they didn't get on with their Mizunos. Even Alex himself had clubs reshafted aftermarket did he not.

I've done the DNA thing but still spent the time hitting balls with the options before working down to what was my final choice. It wasn't either of the top two suggestions and was a close run thing with their third suggestion. I've had two years of use to know I made the right choice. I knew what I wanted out of my shaft though... that was the difference. If I'd gone in 'blind' I'd have had something very different and one that I know wouldn't have worked as well for me.

We all need to engage our common sense and test out the technology when using such a system.

Remember the good old days when the only choice was Reg or Stiff DGs.... those were the days ;)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember the good old days when the only choice was Reg or Stiff DGs.... those were the days ;)

Sheesh I remember the days when the only choice was Regular Apollo :D (decent shaft though in those days)

I like light/mid weight shafts but also hit the ball fairly high off a pretty moderate swing speed so I've been interested in giving something like the DG SL Reg a try. Might try and track down an ex-demo club with one fitted. When I tried the DNA thing a couple of years ago for a bit of fun it recommended DG XP R300, KBS Tour Reg and PX 5.0 which I imagine is a fairly common selection. They all flew ok but DG and KBS felt better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you should use the technology to narrow down your choices. then its a matter of going for the one that feels right too. sod the numbers if it doesnt feel good!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
when I went to Mizzie DNA thing I hit a regular shaft, a stiff Nippon 950 and a DG X-100.............all of them and I mean all of them gave such a similar flight and distance it boiled down to 'feel' and not the numbers as they were so close. Go figure

The one the dna recommended was the nippon and thats the one I liked the least:eek: it was a toss up between the Reg and X-100

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
when I went to Mizzie DNA thing I hit a regular shaft, a stiff Nippon 950 and a DG X-100.............all of them and I mean all of them gave such a similar flight and distance it boiled down to 'feel' and not the numbers as they were so close. Go figure

The one the dna recommended was the nippon and thats the one I liked the least:eek: it was a toss up between the Reg and X-100

glad to see im talking sense for a change. what did you end up getting?

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
But you are not making a comment on fitting at all. That is like saying you went to a tailor for a tailor made suit, then you decided to go to the gym and cut out the pies, you lost a load of weight and the suit didn't fit any more! Fitting is not about buying clubs to correct faults. It is about getting clubs to suit your swing.

At any point in time, any given golf swing suits certain clubs and shafts more than others. Fitting is trying to find out what those are. Is that not better than buying blind? Obviously if your swing changes, your fitting needs might also change. Those lessons might make your need for a new fitting even greater.

If your swing is consistent and you don't want to change it, getting clubs that mediate the faults is fine. But most people aren't consistent and the clubs recommended one day may be completely wrong every other day.

I get the having the right length, the right lie and the right grip size but for most people, telling them to buy a shaft 5g lighter than another shaft is snake oil.

In my opinion of course.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not to argue or anything but I'm dubious about this fitting stuff and I'll tell you why. Sitting comfortably?

So I'm in American Golf and they have a Trackman. I mention I might be interested in new irons (I have MP-52s, Dynamic Gold R300) and they dig out an 825Pro, stick a shaft in it with the Mizuno swing analyser thing and then start playing with shafts. Their analysis was that I need lighter shafts to straighten out my slight pull (consistently 3 yards left off straight).

But rather than fork out for a new set, I've chosen to invest a ton on four hours of lessons at Pedham Place on the A20/M25 junction and my new pro, Tim, has shown me that I have a whole host of small flaws that have crept into my game. Two hours of lessons later, a slight change to my take-away and quiet legs which reduce my backswing's length (and resulting overswing), and I'm hitting it straight again. Sure it will take a while to bed in but I'm feeling much better about sticking with my trusty clubs and fixing my actual faults rather than treating the symptoms.

Now that may not be true for everyone and not everyone can change their swing but buying new irons/shafts to correct swing faults seems to be the wrong process.

Well said that man.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you are not making a comment on fitting at all. That is like saying you went to a tailor for a tailor made suit, then you decided to go to the gym and cut out the pies, you lost a load of weight and the suit didn't fit any more! Fitting is not about buying clubs to correct faults. It is about getting clubs to suit your swing.

At any point in time, any given golf swing suits certain clubs and shafts more than others. Fitting is trying to find out what those are. Is that not better than buying blind? Obviously if your swing changes, your fitting needs might also change. Those lessons might make your need for a new fitting even greater.

This is your opinion of course ?
Considering your handicap is ? and the amount of money that you obviously spend on clubs,i'd say your way off in your comments regarding custom fitting.With your knowledge of the game,and your knowledge of club heads and shafts,i'd assumed you were a tour pro and/or master clubfitter.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some interesting thoughts on inconsistency of swings affecting shaft choice on any given day.

I'm not an expert but I would imagine that it is factors like speed, tempo and release which will have most influence on the choice of shaft.

I would be interested in whether, whatever the ability of the player, these factors in fact are fairly consistent for most established players across all abilities and that most inconsistency is in relation to the swing path, angle and the alignment of the club head, which I would imagine have less impact on shaft choice. I,e the player who hooks, then slices then duffs might do so with a fairly consistent swing speed and release so whichever swing he has on the day the shaft choice would be relatively unaffected.

Any thoughts?

T

thecraw

Some interesting thoughts on inconsistency of swings affecting shaft choice on any given day.

I'm not an expert but I would imagine that it is factors like speed, tempo and release which will have most influence on the choice of shaft.

I would be interested in whether, whatever the ability of the player, these factors in fact are fairly consistent for most established players across all abilities and that most inconsistency is in relation to the swing path, angle and the alignment of the club head, which I would imagine have less impact on shaft choice. I,e the player who hooks, then slices then duffs might do so with a fairly consistent swing speed and release so whichever swing he has on the day the shaft choice would be relatively unaffected.

Any thoughts?

Ball speed has a huge bearing on your shaft and fitting which again Mizuno fail to incorporate into the DNA machine. Swing tempo can easily be manipulated through choice or subconsciously. DNA mainly measures the shaft flex and in my opinion is a very crude short cut.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is your opinion of course ?
Considering your handicap is ? and the amount of money that you obviously spend on clubs,i'd say your way off in your comments regarding custom fitting.With your knowledge of the game,and your knowledge of club heads and shafts,i'd assumed you were a tour pro and/or master clubfitter.

Sigh. Another snarky whine devoid of any actual content. If you disagree then tell us what you disagree with and why, otherwise you come across like a catty schoolgirl. Your grammar seemed reasonable for your presumed age and intellect.

T

thecraw

Sigh. Another snarky whine devoid of any actual content. If you disagree then tell us what you disagree with and why, otherwise you come across like a catty schoolgirl. Your grammar seemed reasonable for your presumed age and intellect.

My aren't we the intellectual. Posting nonsense like that make you feel the big man does it? Wish I was as hard as you Mr Keyboard Warrior!

Unbelievable from the cut and paste master, sorry pathetic is more appropriate!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My aren't we the intellectual. Posting nonsense like that make you feel the big man does it? Wish I was as hard as you Mr Keyboard Warrior!

Unbelievable from the cut and paste master, sorry pathetic is more appropriate!

You'll have to do much better that that, Crawford.

Would you like me to cut and paste some advice on effective banter for you?

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The last time I bought a set of new irons (maxfli revolutions) 14 years ago, I was told in the shop I didn't need fitting as I was a normal height and size!

Well that's my total experience of fitting :lol:

A

Alex1975

No I actually think it's a low launch shaft. Have heard good comments about it

Ye it's low launch... I was putting them up there at 17.5* 5500 rpm. Did not look at ball speed but about 160 yards carry.

As I said above it is said to be "exactly" the same profile as a DG.