Mizuno Fitting

Highland Tour

Visit site
Hey guys, I'm Iain, new to the forum. Been back playing golf now for 3 months after a loooong layoff?
Question:
Anyone know the best place to go, in Scotland, for Mizuno fitting?
I'm liking the look of the new JPX923s to replace a 20yr old set of Wilsons.
Thanks ??

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm Iain, new to the forum. Been back playing golf now for 3 months after a loooong layoff?
Question:
Thanks ??

Are you only looking at Mizuno? Seems a bit daft to rule out all the other brands if you want to get fitted properly.

evemccc

Visit site
Are you only looking at Mizuno? Seems a bit daft to rule out all the other brands if you want to get fitted properly.

I’m not saying you’re wrong…but Mizuno have 3 heads in the Pro range, and three HM in the 923 range, plus the Tour and Forged coming soon…then you’ve got to factor in the myriad weights / flexes of shafts…and how that marries with the club head..
Surely each brand has enough variety to not need / nor realistically be able to test them all

Realistically in a fitting how many swings do you make? You probably can’t make that many if you want to ‘test’ objectively

Highland Tour

Visit site

I'm not ruling out other brands completely but I really like the look of the Mizunos and their reviews.
Maybe suggest a good fitting location where I could try them along with some others.
That would be helpful as opposed to saying I'm daft.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not saying you’re wrong…but Mizuno have 3 heads in the Pro range, and three HM in the 923 range, plus the Tour and Forged coming soon…then you’ve got to factor in the myriad weights / flexes of shafts…and how that marries with the club head..
Surely each brand has enough variety to not need / nor realistically be able to test them all

Realistically in a fitting how many swings do you make? You probably can’t make that many if you want to ‘test’ objectively

If I was looking for a new set of irons, Mizunos would be top of my wish list, but I’d still want to know they perform the best.

A good fitter will know what style of head works for you, so you likely wouldn’t try too many anyway.

evemccc

Visit site
I'd go with with Scott Gourlay, they have a head deal on all clubs and he's has trackman rather than just a GC2. Not cheap but thoughbto be the best in Scotland

For iron sets you also test 4/6/8/PW at Scott Gourlay rather than just 7 iron…which would be good if you want a Combo set…but again how many swings would you be making?

Apparently Gourlay is a big advocate of Puring shafts which I know nothing about but I believe has it’s naysayers as well as supporters

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Question:
Thanks ??
I travelled up for north east England to see Scott Gourlay Five years ago and came away with some JPX900s. Love my irons.

Albo

Visit site
Also went to Scott Goutley’s place. Would recommend.
Got pured shafts and can honestly say I’ve noticed absolutely no difference to the clubs I had prior.

evemccc

Visit site
Got pured shafts and can honestly say I’ve noticed absolutely no difference to the clubs I had prior.

Would recommend…? But not noticed any difference to your previous clubs?

Why do you recommend it?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any mizuno stockist with the shaft optimizer would be able to offer a basic fitting of sorts.

It's all I got when i got my Jpx hot metal pro. Recommended a softer lighter shaft than I had in my bladed MP4. Gained a significant amount of distance. Did a blind test as I initially wanted the Forget. The difference in distance was massive, with no real loss in feel imo.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Here we go, ?? I had three pured some time ago and found it made a huge difference to two of the 3 clubs done, the one that didn’t change was effectively pure before it was pured, if you get my drift.

For those not familiar with the process, there is apparently an orientation in which the shaft, particularly a graphite shaft, will perform most consistently and the process identifies it and the club is assembled with that spine in the most favourable position. The club I which I noticed little difference only moved about 5 degrees, so was almost there before we started. The other two which improved dramatically move the alignment substantially, somewhere in the region of 130 and 160 degrees from memory. Apparently less noticeable in steel shafts.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here we go, ?? I had three pured some time ago and found it made a huge difference to two of the 3 clubs done, the one that didn’t change was effectively pure before it was pured, if you get my drift.

For those not familiar with the process, there is apparently an orientation in which the shaft, particularly a graphite shaft, will perform most consistently and the process identifies it and the club is assembled with that spine in the most favourable position. The club I which I noticed little difference only moved about 5 degrees, so was almost there before we started. The other two which improved dramatically move the alignment substantially, somewhere in the region of 130 and 160 degrees from memory. Apparently less noticeable in steel shafts.
Did you get charged for pureing?

I purchased a hybrid from Scott some time ago without visiting and wasn't charged for it, mind it was pured to the wrong setting.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got mine at a “Mizuno fitting day” at a local club. I’m not a member there, they said if there were slots free I could I come along and I did. They had every head shaft combo you could dream of, trackman and a very nice guy fitting who knew his stuff. Bought them on the spot. This was probably 4 years ago and you’ll have to pry them out of my cold dead hands. I haven’t so much as looked at another iron since.

I’m not sure if they run them out of season you may have to wait until next spring for the next schedule. I recommend you wait and get it done properly or travel to one of the proper fitting centres (probably not an American golf that has DNA swing thingy unless you really want them now, I had one great experience at AG and one terrible one, after the fitting day I realised that even my great one could have been better).

Finally, I went looking at JpX type range originally but the fitter recommended MPs and I really did hit the ball much better with them. So go with an open mind and see what fits. They’re great irons.