Mizino JPX919 forged/ Tour Vs Mizuno Mp4

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mizuno club fitting at my mates place today and though i hit my current clubs well, they are 4 years old now so have a fair bit of wear. decided to give the JPX a try.

tried lots of shafts but came back to my current shaft KBS Ctaper 120 stiff, nothing else came close

i carry my 7 iron about 155, got these figures from the Mizuno guy off his trackman.

JPX 919 tour carry 158 with a bit more roll out so 163 is according to TM
JPX 919 forged 161 carry and about 5 yards roll again so on paper looks good.... until that is.

2 deg stronger and 1/4 inch longer shafts.

His recommendation keep my Mp4... same advice he gave me when i tried the MP18 last year.

Nice that the fitter wouldn't recommend something that in theory are not any longer than my current clubs.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good fitter.

It makes me chuckle to myself when someone asks what club did you take there and I'll say 6, then they sound surprised and say I only took a 7 or 8. Well two things here, my clubs are 5 years old, yours are the latest model, the lofts on your club are stronger than mine, so you will hit the ball further and two you may have a better swing and made better contact.

End of the day I'm not in a willy waving contest to see whose 6 iron goes further, I know how far my clubs go, so if your 8 can take you 160, I'm happy for you I'll use my 6 and get the same distance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good fitter.

It makes me chuckle to myself when someone asks what club did you take there and I'll say 6, then they sound surprised and say I only took a 7 or 8. Well two things here, my clubs are 5 years old, yours are the latest model, the lofts on your club are stronger than mine, so you will hit the ball further and two you may have a better swing and made better contact.

End of the day I'm not in a willy waving contest to see whose 6 iron goes further, I know how far my clubs go, so if your 8 can take you 160, I'm happy for you I'll use my 6 and get the same distance.

plenty of other fitters will be recommending i should change thats for sure.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often get a double take from some when asked what club I took. My irons are a lot more lofted than most clubs. At least my regular team players know to take one less club than me by the number on the bottom.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They've lengthened the shaft 1/4 inch across all 900's and will be doing so across all ranges.

Extra 1/4 in brings them in line with all other OEM's stock length.

How did they feel / look Patrick? That's the most important thing :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no where near as nice as my Mp4 TBH, but the fitter said that could be to do with the changeable shaft gizmo they use on the demo clubs. looked a bit chunky, but they always will against mine

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
no where near as nice as my Mp4 TBH, but the fitter said that could be to do with the changeable shaft gizmo they use on the demo clubs. looked a bit chunky, but they always will against mine

I wondered that, do you think the changeable shaft bolt/nut would significantly change the feel?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
My word those MP4's are lovely but gone are the days I think a handicap golfer playing with butter knives, why would you. I still remember playing with TP11's, things of beauty but miss the centre and you miss the green, by 30.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My word those MP4's are lovely but gone are the days I think a handicap golfer playing with butter knives, why would you. I still remember playing with TP11's, things of beauty but miss the centre and you miss the green, by 30.
only trouble is there was no gain on distance in real terms and i find the smaller heads easier to hit than GI clubs. when i had JPX before i struggled chip and runs and punch shots with them and never hit the 4 iron as well as i do the MP4

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why would you want to hit your irons longer? I would change for better dispersion, nicer feel, better looking, or just because they are new, but distance to me is irrelevant. I want a 7i that goes the distance of my 7i.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why would you want to hit your irons longer? I would change for better dispersion, nicer feel, better looking, or just because they are new, but distance to me is irrelevant. I want a 7i that goes the distance of my 7i.
TBH i don't worry about dispersion i use forged blades, so you are not going to switch from those to GI Irons that are supposed to have better Tech and go further without some sort of distance gain to your blades

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What exactly did the fitter say about the gizmo? Interested to know as I had my suspicions...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What exactly did the fitter say about the gizmo? Interested to know as I had my suspicions...
its dampens the feel as its not the same join as a normal shaft connection etc. even against Mp18 which is very similar to my MP 4 felt completely dead..

Not a fan of the 1/4 inch longer idea either. main reason ai get on so well with Mizuno clubs i can use Standard everything and thats perfect for me, now have to have 1/4 inch shorter and upright (i thinks its upright but could be wrong) when ever i try Titleist never hit them well.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its dampens the feel as its not the same join as a normal shaft connection etc. even against Mp18 which is very similar to my MP 4 felt completely dead..

Not a fan of the 1/4 inch longer idea either. main reason ai get on so well with Mizuno clubs i can use Standard everything and thats perfect for me, now have to have 1/4 inch shorter and upright (i thinks its upright but could be wrong) when ever i try Titleist never hit them well.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I didn't get on with the forged at all, I think in an effort to give more shaft choice the connector might be dampening their USP. I'm guessing once fit for the correct shaft and then built properly the feel is there, but I'd be slow to part with £800 plus on the basis of a hunch.

Didn't know they were longer either, I'm short so maybe that wasn't helping matters either when I hit them like a plum on the range.

Nice one for the excuses I can sleep better now ;)