Miya Stumped!

Nic81

Hacker
Visit site
Hello

I'm hoping for some advice/help.

I've an old driver - cleveland xl 270 - that I can't play as it's too long and too light - that's the selling point, I know, but I had just started out when I got this and didn't realise how goddam hard that makes it to hit!! The shaft is regular flex an way too whippy. I need a stiffer shorter shaft.

I'd like to install a new shaft but concerned about altering the swingweight. Could I use a shaft that's the same weight but between 44" - 45" long - will that have any negative effects?

I don't want to waste money making something worse.....and don't really have much knowledge/experience with this sort of thing.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would be cheaper buying the same driver in stiff and cutting it down. They go pretty cheap these days, you probably wont get an aftermarket shaft that light or cheap

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
44 to 45" is what the current one (presumably with a Miyazaki shaft) is.

If it's the '43' (actually nearer 60gms), then I can sympathise. The one I had in a SL290 was far too noodly for me. If it's the 39, then it might simply be a case of tipping it (getting some cut off the tip rather than the butt) 1" or so which will make it feel considerably stiffer - and will make it shorter as well. Probably the cheapest way to try! The 39 is really a rather good shaft and can be played significantly stiffer than its 'rating' and give high swing speed with good dispersion numbers! While the 43 might be ok for some, it's not my style - far too soft in the mid section, where I actually want it to be pretty stiff!

Given the nature of the changes, I very much doubt that the Swing Weight (which will be affected) will really be noticeable. If it is, then some lead tape can be used (at the head end) to adjust. Disclaimer: I am not very sensitive to swing weight changes, though I used to be pretty good at being able to pick which (label hidden) ball I had hit!

In any case, get 1 to 1.5 inches cut off the tip and you should have a much more playable club for very little outlay. If that doesn't work, then you are not really any worse off!

Last edited:

Nic81

Hacker
Visit site
shewy - thanks. I'm just really trying to make this club playable cheaply as I cant sell it for peanuts and it's just sitting about useless!

Foxholer - thanks - Yes it is the 39 series but it's 46.25" long - my new driver is 45" and the Cleveland is definitely longer. This sounds like a good idea to me.....cheap and as you say nothing to lose. The shaft seems to flex like crazy with the extra length.....I think it could work well shorter and stiffer. I'll take it to the local fitter and see if they'll do this.

Cheers again!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
shewy - thanks. I'm just really trying to make this club playable cheaply as I cant sell it for peanuts and it's just sitting about useless!

Foxholer - thanks - Yes it is the 39 series but it's 46.25" long - my new driver is 45" and the Cleveland is definitely longer. This sounds like a good idea to me.....cheap and as you say nothing to lose. The shaft seems to flex like crazy with the extra length.....I think it could work well shorter and stiffer. I'll take it to the local fitter and see if they'll do this.

Cheers again!

Wow! I didn't realise how long these clubs were!

You might still need to take some off the butt - wjhich adds to the cost as the grip normally needs to be replaced too. As I posted earlier, the 39 is a really good shaft for we old F's who lack swing speed! Extremely popular - at stiffer than would be expected - on the Senior Tour a couple of years ago!

If it doesn't work out, I might consider a swap for the Matrix Rul 60 (R) that is currently in a T310! Too soft for me (but 'S' is pretty much perfect) but some tipping would both shorten and stiffen it - the length is fine for me. I'm currently very happy with a 54gm RUL in an Adams head (the stock shaft for that model).

But check with a fitter as to what the best way forward is!

Nic81

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah it sounded like a great idea when I first started - lighter and longer = faster and further but little did I know that it would be so hard to control. My ss is in the low 90's so I'm just breaking the boundary from regular to stiff. Driving is the most unpredictable part of my game and this club really didn't see much action over my 3 wood. Well there's a decent fitter nearby who hopefully won't mind tinkering with it for me. Thanks that could be a good shout for a swap but will see what the fitter says. Would be good to have 2 drivers just to mix things up when my driving is killing me : )

On a separate note I don't post in here unless I need help and the last time I was on here you gave me some solid advice about buying some MX 25's. Well Ive been playing them for a couple of years now and loving them, so decided it was time to get fitted for my first brand new set. Waiting on some jpx 850 forged being delivered - you got me hooked on the mizuno feel hah! Had hoped they would be here in time to play Letham tomorrow but alas I will need to remain feckin patient!!!

Nic81

Hacker
Visit site
Club is chopped and waiting to collect - can't be any harder to hit, I'm sure of that. Hopefully get it as freebie seeing as I just bought my new clubs from them but will see.....thanks again!