Missing tee marker

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
During our comp today, we arrived at the 5th tee (almost as far from the clubhouse as you can get) to find only 1 white tee marker.
Yellows were in position but the was definitely only 1 white.
With a fairly full course it would have been impractical to call the clubhouse to get a greenkeeper out to replace the errant marker.
We teed up close to it and got on with the game.
Is there anything in the books to say what we did was right or wrong..?
Everyone else in the comp must have done the same........

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dunno - but if yellows were on the same tee then it must be reasonable to assume the front limit of the white teeing ground will be parallel with that of the yellow. If there are no other tee markers on the tee, then it's surely reasonable to assume the front limit of the teeing ground it perpendicular to the edge of the tee. If the tee is round - dunno.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dunno - but if yellows were on the same tee then it must be reasonable to assume the front limit of the white teeing ground will be parallel with that of the yellow. If there are no other tee markers on the tee, then it's surely reasonable to assume the front limit of the teeing ground it perpendicular to the edge of the tee. If the tee is round - dunno.

all true, but the problem comes if the only tee marker is in the centre of the tee 'side to side' - now which side of the marker is the teeing area? :)

as Colin as posted, the rules permit you to make your best estimate and, in so doing, you should avoid any decision that could give an advantage ie in the above situation you should tee up close to the marker on the side that doesn't make the shot easier if there is an advantageous side.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If in your hypothetical example that the only marker was in the middle of the tee - what about you play one ball from one side and another from the other side of that marker - both on a line perpendicular to the edge of the tee as you can estimate (which could be different one side to the other). I can't recall the minimum width of the teeing ground but there will be a minimum - so say minimum is 3yds wide so you tee up within 3yds of the marker. Play the hole with both balls and seek advice when you get in.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If in your hypothetical example that the only marker was in the middle of the tee - what about you play one ball from one side and another from the other side of that marker - both on a line perpendicular to the edge of the tee as you can estimate (which could be different one side to the other). I can't recall the minimum width of the teeing ground but there will be a minimum - so say minimum is 3yds wide so you tee up within 3yds of the marker. Play the hole with both balls and seek advice when you get in.

you won't recall the minimum width as there isn't one.

I like the idea of useing 3-3, and I probably wouldn't DQ a player who correctly implemented it here. The problem comes in deciding which ball is the one to count from the committee's perspective; we won't know where the marker should have been either!

Much easier all round to just play it from close to, and a little behind, the remaining marker.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
happens all the time at our place on the tee boxes furthest away from the club house
for a while we were missing both red markers on the 2nd

kids! hmpf

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
happens all the time at our place on the tee boxes furthest away from the club housefor a while we were missing both red markers on the 2ndkids! hmpf
A couple of times I have played a course where the greenkeeper has had a Senior moment and forgotten to replace the markers after mowing the tee. On one occasion it was my honour and the other girls "insisted" that I must tee up in the 2 inch gap between where he had left the markers. I didn't...

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A couple of times I have played a course where the greenkeeper has had a Senior moment and forgotten to replace the markers after mowing the tee. On one occasion it was my honour and the other girls "insisted" that I must tee up in the 2 inch gap between where he had left the markers. I didn't...
yip - had that too - red tees were nestled together on the slope of the tee box...the boys were insistent that was my tee! ;)