Missing golf course

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Gone in recent years near me...
Western Park Municipal - gone for housing development.
Western Park GC.jpg

Park Hill GC - now a training camp for Leicester City FC

ParK Hill GC.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe the intention for Southwood Golf Course in Farnborough is to let the part on the North side of the road to revert to a nature area.

A couple round here have reverted to farmland.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played Western Park once and it was excellent.
Oadby also went the same way but has reopened as a 9 hole.
As part of it ventured on to the racecourse it's now amusingly called the Gallops.

I still see the outline of a course at Marston Green but most of it was swallowed up by the expansion of Birmingham Airport.
Another at Bedworth near the canal.
2 more at the village of Henley in Arden (both big 18) are now closed.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I played Western Park once and it was excellent.
Oadby also went the same way but has reopened as a 9 hole.
As part of it ventured on to the racecourse it's now amusingly called the Gallops.

Thats interesting to hear. Used to live in nearby Fleckney and played Oadby on a regular basis. I actually preferred the outer ring as I thought some of the holes inside the racecourse were a bit bland.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The closure of two of the three municipals by Leicester City Council, not good in my view, because I'm a golfer. Huge rebuilding program of primary and secondary schools, all done on time and to budget - excellent. Park Hill was privately owned. A previous member's view would be better or more informative than mine. I believe the owner wanted or needed to sell and for it to continue as a golf club. Perhaps the bid from LCFC could simply not be matched by anyone else. I think they have retained a few holes for the team's pleasure and leisure.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I agree that the loss of two municipals was a big mistake, played a lot of my early golf at Western Park which used to be a cracking course.

It's not easy these days for a golf starter in the Leicestershire area.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Wigan Athletic bought Charnock Richard golf club with the intention of turning into a training ground. It never happened as they bought Bolton's. It was closed for several years, they lost some of the land as it was leased from farmers. It opened again as a 9 hole course with 3 par 5s.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The closure of two of the three municipals by Leicester City Council, not good in my view, because I'm a golfer. Huge rebuilding program of primary and secondary schools, all done on time and to budget - excellent. Park Hill was privately owned. A previous member's view would be better or more informative than mine. I believe the owner wanted or needed to sell and for it to continue as a golf club. Perhaps the bid from LCFC could simply not be matched by anyone else. I think they have retained a few holes for the team's pleasure and leisure.
Leicester City council were only responsible For the closure of one course, namely Western Park. Oadby and Wigston shut Oadby GC, which has now re-opened as a 9 holer under private ownership.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Anybody else seen this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57003330

I was gobsmacked when I red it, especially when I read who had designed it. But what surprised me even more was the guy who quotes he has details on over 2,000 courses that have disappeared through development or nature.

It's amazing isn't it, is just a few miles from where my dad grew up and they've talked about this for years. I'm hoping to go down there in the summer