Missing easy putts from 1-2 feet

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
When I play solo I leave the flag in the cup when putting.
I try to hit the putt hard enough so it just touches the pin as it drops.
If it does, it means that if I miss, the ball's only going a foot or so past but it also means I've given the ball a decent pace.
Keeping the pin in and aiming to it also gives a smaller target. Hit that and when the pin comes out the hole looks even bigger.
It's something you can do on the practice green, rather than taking the pin out, try aiming to hit it...

Totally agree with using the flag as a smaller target - concentrates the mind that wee bit more.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I will throw my hat in the ring from a sport psychology point of view. First of all relax :) you made a good chip or lag putt and just have an easy putt left. You said you miss these in competitions when the pressure is on which makes me think your technique is pretty sound the rest of the time.

Pressure practice is good. Set up 8 balls in a 3 foot circle around a practice hole and you must hole everyone before you can leave or move onto to something else. If you make all of them easily you have to do it twice. (Mickelson does 10x10 of these before he leaves)

One important point is not to question your technique when on the course, that is for the practice green and even then only sparingly. Trust your stroke. Look at the hole, look at the ball, putt. Nice quiet mind, smile, enjoy it, don't over focus and try to will it in the hole, just let it happen.

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I will throw my hat in the ring from a sport psychology point of view. First of all relax :) you made a good chip or lag putt and just have an easy putt left. You said you miss these in competitions when the pressure is on which makes me think your technique is pretty sound the rest of the time.

Pressure practice is good. Set up 8 balls in a 3 foot circle around a practice hole and you must hole everyone before you can leave or move onto to something else. If you make all of them easily you have to do it twice. (Mickelson does 10x10 of these before he leaves)

One important point is not to question your technique when on the course, that is for the practice green and even then only sparingly. Trust your stroke. Look at the hole, look at the ball, putt. Nice quiet mind, smile, enjoy it, don't over focus and try to will it in the hole, just let it happen.

there's no such thing as an easy putt:whistle: (slightly flippant of me Mr Mulligan but I agree with your sentiments)

I've missed 6" putts before- unbelievable but in a serious comp the pressure mounts- key is to have a repeatable reliable stroke (practice), dont look up until you've hit it and your confidence will rise- putting is more about confidence than technique imo

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something I did last year was to try and hole 50 of the same short putt one after another - I managed 49 ...

It helped me with two things hugely:

1) My stroke became very repeatable over putts of less than 6 foot.

2) Mentally, I knew that 98% of the time I would hole that putt if I took myself away from the situation. If I felt any tension at all, I stopped, and said to myself (in my head) "what are you worried about, you've proved that you almost never miss from this range". Not being scared of missing, helped me hole a lot more than I would have otherwise.

I need to do this drill again now the season is not too far away.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you have to be careful even on short putts if there is some break. yes, its a good idea to hit at least firmly. don't discount the break. if its a little right to left then aim at the right side of the cup. this little adjustment can make the difference.

:thup:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lesson? It is one aspect of the game where we tend not to think of lessons. If we aren't driving the ball well we are happy to go to a pro for advice, but we tend to ignore the short game. Your 1 - 2 feet putts are worth the same as a 200 yard drive and if you can shave a couple of shots off your round by putting better it helps.

Not really a fan of the "get a lesson" response normally pedalled out on every thread but agree with it in this instance.

My putting was a disgrace, really. I'm talking 7/8 3 putts from 6ft or less at a forum meet!!

I then had a 30 minute lesson that was the best £20 I've spent golf-wise. My stance/posture was terrible so my stroke was inconsistent and pushing and pulling.

Spent the lesson getting me standing better/correctly and my putting has improved hugely...... With the caveat that I practised loads at home after the lesson as it felt really strange to begin with.

I used to practice my putting but was with a rubbish/inconsistent set up so didn't really help.

Good luck :)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
you have to be careful even on short putts if there is some break. yes, its a good idea to hit at least firmly. don't discount the break. if its a little right to left then aim at the right side of the cup. this little adjustment can make the difference.

:thup:

Spot on! I can hole 50 out of 50 three foot putts on the carpet but I'm certain a lot of short ones are missed by ignoring the borrow. Even a firmly hit 3 foot putt takes borrow.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very simple tip for short putts.....make sure your putter head is following through straight towards the hole.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Very simple tip for short putts.....make sure your putter head is following through straight towards the hole.

Not so sure about that. The putter should be moving on an in to square to in arc. If I followed this advice I'd push them all but I agree you shouldn't let the hands collapse during the stroke. I think that's what you're getting at, it's one of my faults at times.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not so sure about that. The putter should be moving on an in to square to in arc. If I followed this advice I'd push them all but I agree you shouldn't let the hands collapse during the stroke. I think that's what you're getting at, it's one of my faults at times.

That's not quite correct. Some putt your way, some use a pendulum straight back and through style. There are Putters designed for each method (Toe or Centre balanced).

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
That's not quite correct. Some putt your way, some use a pendulum straight back and through style. There are Putters designed for each method (Toe or Centre balanced).

I don't think anyone takes it straight back, it's almost physically impossible not to take the putter slightly inside. You might like to feel as if that's what you're doing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think anyone takes it straight back, it's almost physically impossible not to take the putter slightly inside. You might like to feel as if that's what you're doing.

For 50 footers, you might be right - even for we SBST-ers.

But for the 1-2 footers that this thread is about, SBST does what it says!

As an SBST putter, a Left Hand Low grip would also allow the pendulum to work more 'naturally' for longer - before the rocking of the shoulders has to turns into turn turning them, but that's a pretty long putt and LHL just doesn't feel right for me.

How long you keep the pendulum pure SBST depends on how much you lean. Wie's Table Top style should give the max, but I haven't got the figure for that!

Needless to say, but I will anyway, Uttley was not a SBST putter!

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are missing from range, at a guess it will be one of three things........or all three.
You are moving your hips
Or/and
Your backswing is too long.
Or/and your wrists are flicking the ball
]

I'd go with all of the above with the common two being a back swing to long creating a decelerating stroke, or a short stabby stroke that's had lots of wrist.

I used to suffer the same but changed to a super stroke 3.0 grip as it eliminates any wrist action, then just concentrate on a smooth stroke and hey presto!

I now rarely miss from 2/3 feet, and hole more from 6-8 feet

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
changed to a super stroke 3.0 grip as it eliminates any wrist action, then just concentrate on a smooth stroke and hey presto!

I now rarely miss from 2/3 feet, and hole more from 6-8 feet

Just a bit of a niggly question..
When did you change to the SS 3.0?

Handicap didn't actually change last year, so did the rest of your game go off? Or was it really only in the bad rounds that Putting seemed bad? Or did you buy it in 2012?

Just wondering. Quite often my putting has felt great, but stats haven't reflected that feeling!

Btw. I use a mid-size grip for the same reason - and it seems to work. Certainly much more confident, which is a huge part of Putting imo!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Being honesty FH, my iron play collapsed last season and was more up and dine than the Big Dipper, creative short game, above averaged wedges and good putting saved a big increase on the hc front!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi
I'm after some advice on my putting. I'm playing off 11 but losing silly shots on putts from around 1-2 feet for some reason. I've worked on my putting and keeping my arms tucked in slightly more. But when playing in comps and having to hole out I tighten up on them putts and drag or push putts wide of hole! Can anyone help!? Grip lower down? Narrower stance? Heeeellllpppp![/FONT]

Do you play Gimmees in bounce games..?
We always putt out, it doesn't take long as there's not much reading to do from that distance.
I see many of our club players missing short putts in comps yet they play gimmees in bounce games.
Practice on the putting green is not the same as doing it out on the course where the shot counts.
We always putt out - and we're not slow, we get round in 3 hours...

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can try a couple of things:

-shorter backswing, to eliminate deceleration
-try putting to a couple of tees a ball width apart rather than to a hole. When you get on the course the hole will seem a lot bigger leading to an increase in confidence
-try placing a thin piece of dowling directly in front of the hole, means you have to be positive with your stroke to get ball over dowling, and into hole