Minimum Loft for Sand

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hardly ever use my sand wedge these days. There aren't that many bunkers on my course and none are particularly deep. I could probably do with another wood/rescue/long iron and wondered whether a 51 degree wedge would be ok for bunkers?

Much as I'd like to practise it and see, the practice bunker at the club is rubbish and faces a field so if you catch one it's gone. I'd complain but the other way is the clubhouse and I'm pretty sure they'd rather members lost a ball than smashed up the club house! :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're Seve then about 20 degrees - 3 iron!
I'd keep it. If you need to lob over a bunker or rough to get to the flag, opening up a 51 might be tricky and not very reliable.
Looks to me like you've got 2 PW in the bag, the G2 and the 588. G2's about 46 deg (guess) so having a 48 isn't going to give much of a gap between them. Drop one of those, probably the 48 and that gives you 46, 51, 56 - a much better spread. Of course it depends on how far you hit them but from a loft perspective........
That gives you room for a longer club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Parkland course i was a member at last year didn't have much in the way of bunkers and i didn't even bother taking my SW when ever i played there. Not much sand in them either which made it easier to just play a normal chip shot. I don't have a problem opening up my 51 GW to chip over bunkers etc. Just practice with what you have, or make sure you stay out of the bunkers :D

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're Seve then about 20 degrees - 3 iron!
I'd keep it. If you need to lob over a bunker or rough to get to the flag, opening up a 51 might be tricky and not very reliable.
Looks to me like you've got 2 PW in the bag, the G2 and the 588. G2's about 46 deg (guess) so having a 48 isn't going to give much of a gap between them. Drop one of those, probably the 48 and that gives you 46, 51, 56 - a much better spread. Of course it depends on how far you hit them but from a loft perspective........
That gives you room for a longer club.

In practice, it doesn't quite work as it'll give me quite a gap. My G2 PW goes 120, my 48 goes 105, my 51 goes 90 and I never really hit a full shot with my sand iron.

I really like my 588s too and am pretty confident with them. Probably more so than the G2s. :D

Maybe drop the 51 and find a 53 or 54 to replace the 51 and 56?