Midges

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Heading to Machrihanish in 2 weeks. Mrs wedge suffers badly when bitten by bugs. Have been told Vaporub is a great deterrent, also recommended Skin so Soft from Avon, by my lads landlord. Anyone use either of these for this purpose, or have any better recommendations? Thanks.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heading to Machrihanish in 2 weeks. Mrs wedge suffers badly when bitten by bugs. Have been told Vaporub is a great deterrent, also recommended Skin so Soft from Avon, by my lads landlord. Anyone use either of these for this purpose, or have any better recommendations? Thanks.

Skin so soft is the best imo.

Smells lush too

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use smidge when up north.
If there's a breeze and she stays near the coast (both pretty likely in that neck of the woods) I reckon you might get away with it.
Don't take a day trip to Glencoe...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Skin so soft acts as a barrier and makes it more difficult for the wee beasties to get a hold of you and bite.
Smidge acts as a repellant and it puts them off you.
Deet is also effective as a repellant. Personally I'd go for smidge or deet.
Other things that help is minimising skin exposed and if they are really bad buying a midge hood.
Keeping moving so they can't locate you, they are attracted to the expired carbon dioxide keeping in the sun and the breeze as they are not active in bright sunlight and can't fly in a wind.
Nasty blighters though and they can put me off practice as they inhabit our practice area when there's not much breeze.

D-S

Visit site
Skin so soft acts as a barrier and makes it more difficult for the wee beasties to get a hold of you and bite.
Smidge acts as a repellant and it puts them off you.
Deet is also effective as a repellant. Personally I'd go for smidge or deet.
Other things that help is minimising skin exposed and if they are really bad buying a midge hood.
Keeping moving so they can't locate you, they are attracted to the expired carbon dioxide keeping in the sun and the breeze as they are not active in bright sunlight and can't fly in a wind.
Nasty blighters though and they can put me off practice as they inhabit our practice area when there's not much breeze.
A midge hood ??!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use smidge when up north.
If there's a breeze and she stays near the coast (both pretty likely in that neck of the woods) I reckon you might get away with it.
Don't take a day trip to Glencoe...
Agreed. Have been using Smidge for the last month or so after a recommendation. No midge or horse fly bites.
Have tried skin so soft, urban myth for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
??

She’s an avid golfer too, playing together is the only way I get to play so much golf…..do leave her behind for the annual boys trip though….??

Just think of the fun you could have without her. ?

The man with the disability adapted chipper rarely says anything worth acknowledging, but @Dando has finally contributed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh around here it's less of an issue during the day if it's dry, sunny and windy, but if its damp still and or humid you struggle to escape the buggers. Avoid early evening too. I'd tried a few things when out shooting, but none worked.