Mid size grips

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all and festive greetings, I bought a club from Fish and it came with a midsize grip. I like them so I want to change the grips on all clubs. It may be a stupid question but do you change the whole bag or is it wrong to fit these grips on driver and wedges. I have to say that I have not been to see a pro about this, I just love the size of grip on this one club.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fit them to everything imo.

I have midsize, plus extra wraps on every club and have every club in the bag (bar the putter) to exactly the same spec

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fit them to everything imo.

I have midsize, plus extra wraps on every club and have every club in the bag (bar the putter) to exactly the same spec

Yep! Work your way through the bag - probably including the Putter imo. I've only got wedges to go in my conversion.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep! Work your way through the bag - probably including the Putter imo. I've only got wedges to go in my conversion.

Id rather they make a parallel grip for all clubs like the one I have on the putter! Then I wouldnt have to have every club built up in tape under the bottom hand to reduce the taper effect :(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Id rather they make a parallel grip for all clubs like the one I have on the putter! Then I wouldnt have to have every club built up in tape under the bottom hand to reduce the taper effect :(

Tried Lamkin Performance Plus grips? Not parallel, but a much reduced taper over the norm.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi all and festive greetings, I bought a club from Fish and it came with a midsize grip. I like them so I want to change the grips on all clubs. It may be a stupid question but do you change the whole bag or is it wrong to fit these grips on driver and wedges. I have to say that I have not been to see a pro about this, I just love the size of grip on this one club.

What size glove do you wear?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had my clubs re gripped with Lamkin Classic cord grips, fantastic grips.

Just be aware by getting a mid size grip which will be 'possibly' heavier then the grips you take off you will alter the swing weight of the club which will become lighter in the club head.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i put a midsized on my SLDR driver and that changed the swing weight completely, could not feel the head of the club at all.

had to change back to what was on before.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i put a midsized on my SLDR driver and that changed the swing weight completely, could not feel the head of the club at all.

had to change back to what was on before.

yeah, you can't just go slapping any type of grip on and expect it to be the same as before. Just doesn't work.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fitted them to all clubs throughout the bag.

Switched to using Midsize a couple of years ago and have never looked back. Odd thing is that I have smallish hands (small glove size) but my fingers on my left hand still dug into my palm with thinner grips.

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
There are something to consider with grip size that often go unnoticed. Back in the early static fitting days it was always down to hand and glove size that dictated what grip you should have. Although not a constant trend it can be seen that using a thicker grip can increase a slice and using a thinner can decrease it.

However personal preference must be considered. My measurements would suggest either a midsize and perhaps a jumbo. I cannot stand either as I block the crap out of the longer clubs and have a touch of an elephant in the shorter ones. I do ok with a standard grip thickened up a bit.

Going through a whole set with the same thickness is sensible but can sometimes like in my case cause issues.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are something to consider with grip size that often go unnoticed. Back in the early static fitting days it was always down to hand and glove size that dictated what grip you should have. Although not a constant trend it can be seen that using a thicker grip can increase a slice and using a thinner can decrease it.

However personal preference must be considered. My measurements would suggest either a midsize and perhaps a jumbo. I cannot stand either as I block the crap out of the longer clubs and have a touch of an elephant in the shorter ones. I do ok with a standard grip thickened up a bit.

Going through a whole set with the same thickness is sensible but can sometimes like in my case cause issues.

Disagree with this personally, think its the opposite

A thicker grip makes it slightly harder to use the hands too much negating a hook and if anything leading to a fade whereas a thinner grip can lead to more active hands and hence a draw/hook

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
Disagree with this personally, think its the opposite

A thicker grip makes it slightly harder to use the hands too much negating a hook and if anything leading to a fade whereas a thinner grip can lead to more active hands and hence a draw/hook

I wouldn't call it a disagreement. Just a difference of perspective. What you have said makes complete sense. It's just the other side of the coin and possibly something only harder hitters such as yourself will experience. (I see you are an x man).

Both along the same lines IMO