Mickelson out of the Masters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Seems like he’s paid the ultimate price and won’t be playing. Now listed under a 'Past Champions not playing' title on the official Masters website and is not listed in the field for this year's tournament. Augusta National has also reportedly confirmed Mickelson is not going to tee it up at the year's first Major.

First time Lefty has not played a Masters since 1994.

Tiger yet to join him in the same category…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Official control or actual control?
Pass - as I'm not certain of what you mean. They are 'independent' tournaments, with their own qualification/invitation criteria.
The Masters is run by Augusta Nationl Club; The Open is run by R&A. Neither are run by US PGA/Euro Tour.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pass - as I'm not certain of what you mean. They are 'independent' tournaments, with their own qualification/invitation criteria.
The Masters is run by Augusta Nationl Club; The Open is run by R&A. Neither are run by US PGA/Euro Tour.

I thought my point was pretty clear. You might well be right that they are tournaments with their own qualification / invitation criteria, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily independent of the PGA Tour. There are other influences on things than just how the rules state they are run. Even if they are completely independent, Phil certainly is not.

It might have been entirely his decision, free of outside interference, of course. It's all speculation.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Even if they are completely independent, Phil certainly is not.
Apart from (still) being a member of the PGA Tour, how is he not independent? All members of the PGA Tour are independent contractors. Likewise for European Tour.
Similar/equivalent arrangements/relationships exist for The Open which is run byThe R&A as for The Masters, run by August National Golf Club. Oh...and same/similar applies to The US Open and The PGA (as opposed toThe PGA Tour)

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect it’s as simple as a prominent member(s) of Augusta having commercial ties to the sponsors Mickelson has lost. The membership is made of some large current and former CEO’s of companies like Intel, Microsoft, Workday etc.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Another nail in the coffin for super league, this to me is a strong suggestion that the masters would vote against any players who joined.

If Phil had played, and so the suggestion that players who took the money could still play the majors, the door would have swung wide open.

As everyone says, how much the pga tour influenced the decision is speculation, probably just as much national bias at play too.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I thought my point was pretty clear. You might well be right that they are tournaments with their own qualification / invitation criteria, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily independent of the PGA Tour. There are other influences on things than just how the rules state they are run. Even if they are completely independent, Phil certainly is not.

It might have been entirely his decision, free of outside interference, of course. It's all speculation.

Such as? Please share.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another nail in the coffin for super league, this to me is a strong suggestion that the masters would vote against any players who joined.

If Phil had played, and so the suggestion that players who took the money could still play the majors, the door would have swung wide open.

This...The Masters is an invitation only event and as such can pick and choose who they invite.....
Might not see Phil play there again..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't recall him saying he would be playing the masters

He said he was taking a break /time away from the game etc with no return date announced

Why are folks talking as if he was gonna return at augusta

Reactions: SyR

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apart from (still) being a member of the PGA Tour, how is he not independent? All members of the PGA Tour are independent contractors. Likewise for European Tour.
Similar/equivalent arrangements/relationships exist for The Open which is run byThe R&A as for The Masters, run by August National Golf Club. Oh...and same/similar applies to The US Open and The PGA (as opposed toThe PGA Tour)

You've answered your own question. His livelihood relies on being part of the PGA tour, he is therefore not a free agent.

Such as? Please share.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch. All I'm pointing out is that there are always other stakeholders seeking to influence those that are actually the decision makers. It's the same in all walks of life. There's a saying isn't there? Opinions are like ars...arms, everyone's got (at least) one.

Perhaps think of it a different way, what I'm saying is, if Phil were on a temporary ban from the PGA Tour, not suggesting he is, but just say he were, he wouldn't be playing in the Masters even if it is only loosely affiliated to the tour and he otherwise would be allowed to be.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You've answered your own question. His livelihood relies on being part of the PGA tour, he is therefore not a free agent.
Ah! We simply have different definitions of 'independent'!
And, FWIW, I'd argue that he IS a free agent - perhaps with some obligations. He CAN and HAS played European (DP World) Tour events. He CHOOSES (until recently) to play mostly PGA Tour ones - for obvious reasons.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Imagine the Augusta powers that be made the decision. Whether the PGA nudged them towards that is never going to be known.
I couldnt imagine that. The Masters is its own universe, and his beef was never with them.
Him not playing would be consistent with his exile, and it would have drawn too much more negative rap and publicity to show up, even though he could. So more trouble than it would be worth.