Shot Clock Masters - Breath of Fresh Air

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Saw a bit of it this morning. Seemed a bit gimmicky and there looked to be a few players rushing their shots and missing reasonably straightforward putts as a result.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's a ref with each match who alerts the player exactly when the clock has started.
Obviously, if a player calls for a ruling, the clock will start when that's all sorted out.
I also believe that each player has two opportunities to call the clock void during his round.
I'm happy to be corrected however.

You are correct. Not managed to see any of it yet but getting some positive feedback. Hardly surprising the quality of the field isn't that good with a small matter of the US Open coming up and most top players already getting ready for that. It's probably why the ET picked this event. Relatively low key and a chance to see how it goes and iron out the kinks. I don't think 40 seconds will be the norm on the ET anytime soon but a positive initiative

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw a bit of it this morning. Seemed a bit gimmicky and there looked to be a few players rushing their shots and missing reasonably straightforward putts as a result.

I believe Jimenez said most players were taking shots by 20 seconds as they weren't quite sure of the pace. Tomorrow may see them a little calmer and the pace may slow a little, making it less rushed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I believe Jimenez said most players were taking shots by 20 seconds as they weren't quite sure of the pace. Tomorrow may see them a little calmer and the pace may slow a little, making it less rushed.

This I find interesting.
According to the ET via twitter, the average round was 34 minutes quicker than last year.
If they're going to take a little longer tomorrow then they're only going to save in the region of 20 minutes, possibly a little less.
And then you start wondering if all the hype is worth 20 minutes.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This I find interesting.
According to the ET via twitter, the average round was 34 minutes quicker than last year.
If they're going to take a little longer tomorrow then they're only going to save in the region of 20 minutes, possibly a little less.
And then you start wondering if all the hype is worth 20 minutes.....

It's the start of a process though isn't it? If it helps change the mindset of players it has to be good.

D

Deleted member 15344

The players are already supposed to play within a certain time - the issue is the refs don’t enforce it enough. Until the top players get penalties for slow play then nothing will change

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Some are gushing this as a success because the ‘average’ round took 4hrs 48mins 😳 erm not for me, some groups were in well under 4hrs so that means with that higher average, some took well over 5hrs!

If there were groups coming in under 4hrs and the average 45 minutes more, where were the penalties?

The 1st round of the KPMG in Belgium yesterday took 5hrs 20mins, what message did that send out?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some are gushing this as a success because the ‘average’ round took 4hrs 48mins erm not for me, some groups were in well under 4hrs so that means with that higher average, some took well over 5hrs!

If there were groups coming in under 4hrs and the average 45 minutes more, where were the penalties?

The 1st round of the KPMG in Belgium yesterday took 5hrs 20mins, what message did that send out?

I could be wrong but I think you've got the stats incorrect. I was fairly confident 4hrs 48mins was the average for last years tournament for the first round. This year players were coming in around the 4 hr mark for all the morning starters. Potentially slightly slower in the afternoon as I think I saw the average was 25 mins quicker than last year so presumably around 4hrs 20mins. Not huge but noticeable increase given it goes across the field.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
From the coverage I saw yesterday and the commentators comments it wasn’t that a player actually needed more time for their shot. All they did was make sure their group was in a position to play and were waiting on the group in front to clear, so they still took all the time they wanted to discuss with the caddy and ponder the shot etc before the shot clock had even started

The time saved was predominantly in the extended gap they closed between each group (anyone who's been to see a Tour event must have seen these gaps too)

Perfect, this is proof of concept, assuming no hiccups get it into next year’s Masters so the big boys can’t avoid it then roll it out across Tour events and the Olympics so the world can see it doesn’t have to be slow

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could do with some of these shot clocks at my course!

I can only dream of a 3 ball in under 4 hours, under 5 hours feels like an achievement.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
To confirm what ET we’re hoping to achieve here. Their aim was to get rounds played in under 4 hours 30 minutes throughout the tournament. The first two days

1st round saw over 30 minutes knocked off last year’s round time with scoring lower by half a shot despite the intrusion of the shot clock.

More info here http://amp.golf.com/tour-news/2018/06/08/european-tours-shot-clock-masters-debuts-rave-reviews but I’d say for now it’s a big success.

Looking forward to seeing times during the business end of the tournament over the weekend.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know about round times but there have now been two one stroke penalties for time violations for different players.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Could do with some of these shot clocks at my course!

I can only dream of a 3 ball in under 4 hours, under 5 hours feels like an achievement.

Do you know what your course has been rated time wise to? I read lots of comments at times about 4hr rounds or longer not being acceptable, there seems to be a common assumption that all rounds should be less than 4hrs, whereas at my course a 3-ball medal comp has been assessed at taking 4hrs 10 minutes.

We got round dead on 4hrs today in our 3-ball, I wasn’t waiting on any shots and it was a nice tempo, personally if I keep moving and can keep a tempo going I don’t get that hung up on the actually time it’s took, it’s all about sustaining a rhythm for me.