Merino wool jumpers - any good?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thinking about splashing out on a Merino wool jumper for golf. Seems to make a lot of sense as far as thermal and wicking properties are concerned. A jumper seems to offer more sympathy when you swing a club as well. Teamed up with a decent base layer it could be good.

Any thoughts?

bill

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
From £9.00 at M&S! I still prefer Wool/Goretex wind stoppers.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/produc...p;rh=&page=

yeah I saw that too. probelm is if it's mixed with silk it might undermine the properties we need to make it a good golf garment.

Ive checked out some of the other recomendations above:

Peter Scott - sadly no proper website

Smedley - pricey but appears to be the mutts nuts

..as well as a few others like Glenbrae(I think), TM Lewin and of course M&S

Even GG's non-Insula jumpers are only 50% merino

Frankly Im quite astounded that I haven't found more direct results when typing in Merino golf jumper into google. Perhaps they're not as well established or indeed beneficial as I first thought.

Windstopper , gore tex and fleece are of course the natural choice but just for a change I thought I might try and smarten my golf attire up this year and go back to quality basics ( good old fashioned high quality leather FJ's, classic polo's and smart and comfortable trews and jumpers) rather than looking like im about to try and climb the north face of the Eiger.

Maybe it's just a sub conscious decision to look more like a grumpy old foost on the course which will match being a grumpy old foost off it!

(never for one second abandoning the HH base layer which has to be the single most useful bit of golf clothing I own or am likely to own- just brilliant!)

More research needed.

cheers anyway

Bill

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
billy, change your search to merino golf - lots that way.

of course if you really want the biz check these out as well, but get the second mortgage first.

'Since 1996, in New Zealand, possum fur has been mixed with Merino wool to create a blended fibre known as Merinomink, eco-possum, possumdown, eco fur or possum wool.'

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Thinking about splashing out on a Merino wool jumper for golf. Seems to make a lot of sense as far as thermal and wicking properties are concerned. A jumper seems to offer more sympathy when you swing a club as well. Teamed up with a decent base layer it could be good.

Any thoughts?

bill

Hi Bill

Base layer being what? Did you mean a vest, string or otherwise.

Stay warm.

dandpl

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone who's near to a Decathlon sports store should try out the lightweight fleeces from their Quechua range of clobber. It's in the walking gear section. They do do golf clobber but I've not tried it - but last weekend I wore only a base layer (North Cape outdoor wear) and the Quechua fleece and was cosy cosy

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone who's near to a Decathlon sports store should try out the lightweight fleeces from their Quechua range of clobber. It's in the walking gear section. They do do golf clobber but I've not tried it - but last weekend I wore only a base layer (North Cape outdoor wear) and the Quechua fleece and was cosy cosy

which one did you get? some of their other stuff looks a good price

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Silk might be in the mix to add strength only - don't think it'll affect 'performance'. If in doubt, lambswool will always do the job (unless you're really flush then cashmere).

Fair point but the whole reason for heading down the Merino path is that unlike lambswool or cashmere, Merino offers wicking properties(in addition to insulation) comparable to fleece whereas more course threads can become 'clogged' with perspiration leading to clamminess and extra weight.

Having a quick punt round the 'i'm a hardcore climber type bloke i am' websites reveals that merino remains a steadfast choice for certain garments where fleece would otherwise appear to be the natural high tech. solution.

More research seems to reveal that outside of a purely performance context, Merino garments are marketed mainly for their soft feel which alledgedly surpasses that of even the finest cashmere.

Merino with possum? were into mega bucks and I had one of the little bleeders come poking around my tent when I was camping on Magnetic island* off the coast of Brisbane about ten years ago. Nice little chaps, bit more plump than a squirrel and a bit weird looking but i'm sure it thought the same of me at 6 oclock in the morning after a protracted night on the hoy. Either way I would feel a little reticent about depriving one of the little b@ggers it's hide for the sake of a fat weed whacker like me.

bill

* It's local folklore there that Greg Norman played his early golf on Magnetic but although I spent a few days buzzing round in a mini moke there ( and FFS if you get a chance to hire a moke then do so- a more fun and uninhibited driving experience I have yet to find) I didn't see so much as a sniff of a golf course.

BG

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
The best sweater I have ever had for Golf is my Lyle and Scott windproof 100% lambswool sweater. I have a bunch of other jumpers bought by the mother in law etc etc, but this one comes out every weekend, It is sooooo warm, lining a jumper with windproof material is as genius as Sky+ IMO :)