Menzies Hotel & Golf Club, Cambridge.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have played here a few times in the past and again on Saturday so decided to write a review.
I had a 12am tee time on Saturday but my partner was late. I spoke to the pro-shop and they told me it would not be a problem, when he turned up they would fit us in. So I went to the practice area which consists of large putting green, a large bunker, 2 greens and surrounds for chipping and pitching and 2 nets.
My playing partner turned up and we paid £20 each using a greenfree voucher from the April issue of GM (Thanks GM). It normally £40 at weekends up to 3pm when twilight kicks in (£20)
Course was in very good condition with the only slight complaint that the greens were very firm and lighting quick and had sand on them recently.
Course has plenty of danger off the tee with ditches and bunkers coming into play around the 200-240 yard mark on the par 4 & 5’s. Some nice par 3’s over water and one that is 225 off the yellows and 240 off the back tees to a large but guarded green. The 18th is a par 5 with water all down the right and a ditch thrown in for good measure.
There is a good variation of holes from uphill par 5 to a blind dog leg left with tee shot down hill.
In warmer weather they have a cart going around the course with drinks, sandwiches & chocolate.
The round took us 3hrs 45min which was great for a sunny Sat afternoon. We caught up with a 4ball who tee’d off on the 6th hole but let us play through so no problems there
I don’t think it is worth £40 at weekends but they are happy to take vouchers 7 days a week and do some good breaks too.
I inquired about membership which I thought was reasonable. £750 a year with no joining fee or £67 a month for DD for a 7 day membership with discounts in the bar, pro shop and hotel breaks.
They also do a book of 10 greenfees for £120 which is fantastic value.
I will defiantly play it again over the coming months and would recommend it to any of you that live in the area.

1st tee box

The 1st tee

View from the 1st green back down fairway

18th Green