Mens wrist watches

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Four guys I used to work with used to sit around ‘Willy-waving’ their latest fancy expensive watch. Well fair enough if that’s what turns you on ?

I got given a gold Rotary watch for my 21st - I wore it every day. It was stolen more than 25yrs ago. I haven’t bothered with a watch since.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Would it affect the value of the watch changing bits on it or is it service work that’s required?

Absolutely with Vintage Rolex, I my view never send one back to them for a repair and service, they will replace parts that changes the aesthetics of the watch and value to a collector and not return the parts they replaced robbing :mad: much better to use an independent who will repair and service it sympathetically to the original condition

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the next buy will be a GMT master but my local dealer is a bit uppuity when you walk in wearing jeans and trainers, so may have to look elsewhere .
I can't stand that sort of attitude!
An old boss of mine (many years ago) told me a great story that I've related to ever since... His brother got a job as a salesman at a BMW agent. A very scruffy guy came in and was perusing their top of the range model (735 at the time). The brother treated him condescendingly and the guy left in a bit of a huff. It later transpired that the guy was an extremely wealthy farmer who bought a new Beemer ever 2 years. When he came back to the agent in a sparkling new Merc and rlated the story, the brother was 'let go'!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't stand that sort of attitude!
An old boss of mine (many years ago) told me a great story that I've related to ever since... His brother got a job as a salesman at a BMW agent. A very scruffy guy came in and was perusing their top of the range model (735 at the time). The brother treated him condescendingly and the guy left in a bit of a huff. It later transpired that the guy was an extremely wealthy farmer who bought a new Beemer ever 2 years. When he came back to the agent in a sparkling new Merc and rlated the story, the brother was 'let go'!
I suspect lots of us know similar ones. A guy I know runs his own acountancy practice but out of work is a real scruff. Always drives an E-Class, changes it every 3 years. He walked into the Newcastle dealer, got the looks and dismissive attitude and left. Drove up to Coldstream, was treated correctly, bought one. Always goes there for servicing and to get his replacement. Good lesson for people to learn.

In terms of watches, how can you ever judge? You never know the wealth of someone.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm wearing a Casio that my brother-in-law found at the bottom of a hedge when we were out walking one day. He didn't want it so he gave it to me. On the back it says 1330 MQ-24.

I've got a Raymond Weil watch that was a 10 years of service gift from an employer in the 1990s. Someone told me it was worth over £100 back then, so I've hardly ever worn it.

A watch is a purely functional thing to me like the knives and forks that you use everyday.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely with Vintage Rolex, I my view never send one back to them for a repair and service, they will replace parts that changes the aesthetics of the watch and value to a collector and not return the parts they replaced robbing :mad: much better to use an independent who will repair and service it sympathetically to the original condition
As you say i am looking for an independent watchmaker who can look at it without doing too much to the originality of the watch .

Tashy, i am not bothered about the value , it was my dads and thats good enough for me it will not be going anywhere .

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear my Garmin S62 all the time. Used to wear a Fitbit.

I've got a Tissot, which is nice, not top end, but a good mid range watch. However, I like the smartwatch functions. Can't really ever imagine going back to a traditional watch

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have one that I took the back off and put in a new battery. Can I get the bluddy back, back on again? Can I nutz. Well, we've all had a go one Sunday lunch. It's still sitting on the bookcase...backless. Anyone got any ideas?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As you say i am looking for an independent watchmaker who can look at it without doing too much to the originality of the watch .

Tashy, i am not bothered about the value , it was my dads and thats good enough for me it will not be going anywhere .

I'd go to Rolex St James and tell them exactly what you want done, will be quite pricey though.
There is some independent guys that are members of TZ-UK forum, join up and ask in watch talk, you'll get sound advice on there.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I have a few hunter and half hunter pocket watches that have had a service,Talking to the shop,owners that sent my watch off they said there gets less and less quality watchmakers every year. The young uns just don’t see any future in it.

Thats said I was on the poppy stall today and a guy was wearing his Omega, we had a couple of minutes natter. He said he has quite a few which he has bought from antique shops etc.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I didnt know you had one Tash, you kept that quiet ??

No bloody use on the back, you cant see it when you're wearing it ?

just got me thinking, the hunter watches I have, you can unclip the backs of them and see the workings. They look a work of art ?

D

Deleted member 1740

just got me thinking, the hunter watches I have, you can unclip the backs of them and see the workings. They look a work of art ?

They certainly are. The full skeleton ones are a thing of beauty. Precision engineering.

There's a few videos of watches being built online, i'll never cease to be amazed by it.