Mens Individual Opens

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why dont courses have more? I genuinely think every course should have one a year.

More importantly, why arent they better supported? (maybe this answers my first question).

Great Value, Great Days Out

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We Have two, i think, both are handicap restricted as are played from the blues, both full with reserves as well. we also have a 4 day open.

Most clubs up here have a couple, as well a 4/5 day open. some have 4 or five individual comps which one would be a walk on.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some of the bigger clubs have opens but not many private members clubs will open their course up and close it down for the members

Clubs do have invitational days and open days though

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why dont courses have more? I genuinely think every course should have one a year.

More importantly, why arent they better supported? (maybe this answers my first question).

Great Value, Great Days Out

Second sentence probably answers the first one! :whistle:

Lots of hassle for the Club for little perceived benefit! Little Yellow Book really worked/works in Scotland though. Another example of how the attitudes in Scotland (and Ireland?) to Golf differs markedly from that in England. :rolleyes:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Get yourself registered with Golf Empire.
You can select the type of comp you are interested in (singles, pairs, team, seniors, mixed etc.etc.) in any number of counties.
As soon as a club in a county that you have selected notifies them of an open, you will be emailed by Golf Empire.
I find it brilliant.
I have my name down for any counties that I haven't been banned from yet.

DCB

Visit site
The Little Yellow Book is still a 'must have' if you're looking at going in for opens up here. If you're club isn't in it, then it's missed the bus this time around ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Little Yellow Book is still a 'must have' if you're looking at going in for opens up here. If you're club isn't in it, then it's missed the bus this time around ;)

I'm actually pleased that's the case, but somewhat surprised as well.

I was working in Edinburgh when the 'technology' of the internet threatened, or was at least rumoured to threaten, its existence. I was aware of a little of the amount of work and effort that went into producing it each year, and it was always one of the defining moments of the (early) season when they appeared in the Pro Shop - just like the arrival of the latest TM gear was (actually it was the renumbered, but otherwise unchanged, Titleist Blades at my place)! :rolleyes:

The concept should be covered by Golf Empire, but maybe allegiance to 'old friends' still has a place, or maybe Scots are more conservative (stubborn/stuck in their ways?) than I thought! :whistle:

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Our club has 6 plus the 5day and very few don't sell out. £20 versus ~£50 for a regular visitor round makes it a no-brainer.

I've made a decision next year to have a result at an away venue so I've been regularly checking golf empire and the websites of a few clubs I've identified/played previously to build a calendar, and there are plenty of possibilities without ever travelling more than 50 miles. If it weren't a requirement to keep my handicap, I'd bin my membership and become a competitive nomad without sacrificing much.

To answer the OP, it's easier to travel with a group of mates to share fuel/food costs with, and most individual opens don't guarantee playing with your mates so the team opens will be better attended. Also those who do travel alone have to drive home so won't spend much in the clubhouse therefore the club will struggle to make money versus a day of regular play with members who live close by. Just my 2p

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It really does seem to vary based on region the volume and price of such events. Have a look on golf empire at some of the northern counties and then compare to the southern counties - definite shame there aren't more down here

Loz1607

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hoping to have my handicap below 8 by Easter so I can start playing in opens next summer. Especially some of the big county 36 hole comps