Membership Fees

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Assuming fees go up next year including the bar levy to c£1850 given I've played 90 odd rounds so far this year that comes out at a tad over £20 per round. Add in all the 9 hole summer rounds and year long use of the practice facilities and that isn't bad. Not many P&P's or other courses you can get on (certainly locally) for £20

sunshine

Visit site
I'm not sure cost per round is the best way of assessing value of membership fees. There's a lot more to it, e.g. access at peak periods, playing in competitions, plus intangible benefits like who your playing partners are.

For some people, the members discount in the bar is worth the membership alone! :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
Goswick will have "less maintenance and cutting" than the others being links which is a shorter and hardier grass.

Yes this is a good point. Links probably need less maintenance due to the drainage. But I'm sure a good quality parkland is still a lot cheaper up north

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not sure cost per round is the best way of assessing value of membership fees. There's a lot more to it, e.g. access at peak periods, playing in competitions, plus intangible benefits like who your playing partners are.

For some people, the members discount in the bar is worth the membership alone! :LOL:
We don't have tee times (other than drawn times in competitions) so access at peak periods isn't an issue, just turn up and go out. Very rarely a huge queue and most members know when the weekday and weekend roll up groups go out so can work around that. As for partners, I'm lucky that we've a good core of members usually around several days a week if I can time off midweek and a good core int he Saturday and Sunday roll ups. We always draw the balls so never usually the same faces which is good. Plenty of comps throughout the year and good atmosphere in the 19th so all good from my perspective

D

Deleted member 21258

Yes this is a good point. Links probably need less maintenance due to the drainage. But I'm sure a good quality parkland is still a lot cheaper up north

BTW Beau is heathland which has fine grasses(membership cost is more than you quoted), unlike parkland courses that have different grasses generally.

Why are membership fees different - looking at some accounts there is quite a bit involved, wages higher, more staff in clubhouse & course, more spent on course updates/repairs, Pro costs higher, accountancy costs higher, general manager at some of the courses costing more, bigger clubhouses cost a lot more to run, more machinery(expensive) ? could be just some of the reasons. Might have closer look at various accounts later, out of interest to me and compare closer later tonight if I find time.

Doesn't take 'much' to spend an extra £50000 across some wages for instance, which equates to £100 each if 500 members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I pay what I pay because it is what it costs to be a member of a members club in Surrey/Hants borders area and, quite simply, part of me is to be a member of a golf club. When I could not afford a golf club membership when the children were young and I did not have the time or money - only then it had to take a back seat. But I was always going to join a club again - it was only time.

sunshine

Visit site
BTW Beau is heathland which has fine grasses(membership cost is more than you quoted), unlike parkland courses that have different grasses generally.

Why are membership fees different - looking at some accounts there is quite a bit involved, wages higher, more staff in clubhouse & course, more spent on course updates/repairs, Pro costs higher, accountancy costs higher, general manager at some of the courses costing more, bigger clubhouses cost a lot more to run, more machinery(expensive) ? could be just some of the reasons. Might have closer look at various accounts later, out of interest to me and compare closer later tonight if I find time.

Doesn't take 'much' to spend an extra £50000 across some wages for instance, which equates to £100 each if 500 members.

I tried to pick 3 clubs which are objectively in the same league in terms of quality, with the idea that there would be a similar amount of effort to run and maintain them (e.g. number of staff in clubhouse, greenkeepers, etc), same level of spend on machinery (incidentally a piece of machinery is surely the same cost regardless of where you are in the country?).

My knowledge is very limited, but broadly I am simplifying costs into 3 buckets: Labour, equipment, materials. Equipment and materials should be roughly the same wherever you are in the country so it's just labour which is different. Also I'm assuming older private course which doesn't have to pay a mortgage or lease.

Would be interesting to see how the differences arise. I'm sure you would be able to find some better examples which are more comparable. How do you have access to different accounts? Companies house?

I also picked private members courses which are not run to make a profit. Eg can't compare resort courses which are run on an entirely different business model.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just paid £1670 which includes £75 bar levy.

Good value compared to other local courses, as we have great drainage so can play on a decent course in top condition all year round.

Played yesterday in the rain, and the greens were lovely. Few puddles on the course but not where we played from. Don't think any of our four ball had to drop from water once.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
£1670 which includes £75 bar levy.

Good value compared to other local courses, as we have great drainage so can play on a decent course in top condition all year round.

Played yesterday in the rain, and the greens were lovely. Few puddles on the course but not where we played from. Don't think any of our four ball had to drop from water once.

Well Rich - Hampshire golf - cheaper than Surrey golf - and only half hour drive my place to yours - maybe I should move :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming fees go up next year including the bar levy to c£1850 given I've played 90 odd rounds so far this year that comes out at a tad over £20 per round. Add in all the 9 hole summer rounds and year long use of the practice facilities and that isn't bad. Not many P&P's or other courses you can get on (certainly locally) for £20
Just paid £1670 which includes £75 bar levy.

Ascot costs more than Blackmoor? Seriously? Amazing how much more you get a little further out!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tried to pick 3 clubs which are objectively in the same league in terms of quality, with the idea that there would be a similar amount of effort to run and maintain them (e.g. number of staff in clubhouse, greenkeepers, etc), same level of spend on machinery (incidentally a piece of machinery is surely the same cost regardless of where you are in the country?).

My knowledge is very limited, but broadly I am simplifying costs into 3 buckets: Labour, equipment, materials. Equipment and materials should be roughly the same wherever you are in the country so it's just labour which is different. Also I'm assuming older private course which doesn't have to pay a mortgage or lease.

Would be interesting to see how the differences arise. I'm sure you would be able to find some better examples which are more comparable. How do you have access to different accounts? Companies house?

I also picked private members courses which are not run to make a profit. Eg can't compare resort courses which are run on an entirely different business model.
its also a case of supply and demand, i'd imagine course down south are likley to charge more if its special, running cost would also differ i would say, a course in the SE comuter belt pron has higher overheads than say somwhere up here

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine are around £1300 per year for a 7 day membership.
But have to say I am finding the course a bit clogged up with seniors, they have every morning pretty much booked up with a roll up and they are usually taking 4-5hrs a round. The women have a Thursday morning - which given the senior men’s activities is very fair. The weekend is pretty free with some working men’s roll ups starting at 8:30am and they will be off course by 13:00.
As a 7 day member I do expect freedom to play, we do have visitors and their numbers are acceptable- I selected a club with a high green fee because I want more membership access. However the seniors have really cheesed me off. They had a field of 180 for a competition which took up 2 days .. that needs to be rationalised down and there also needs to be access in the winter months so that some one can complete 18 holes before the sun goes down. So they should not be allowed out after 12.

I feel so much better now

Cobbslane

Visit site
Played Goswick Golf Club at Berwick upon Teed earlier this year (and if you haven't you should - Open qualifier 2018/9. Perfect James Braid links course.) Full membership £565 and if you just play 9 holes then full 9 hole membership is £240 !! For a Braid qualifier course. Unbelievable value.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Goswick Golf Club at Berwick upon Teed earlier this year (and if you haven't you should - Open qualifier 2018/9. Perfect James Braid links course.) Full membership £565 and if you just play 9 holes then full 9 hole membership is £240 !! For a Braid qualifier course. Unbelievable value.
no, but Royal Dornoch is under £500 for a could thats in the top 10 in the world

D

Deleted member 21258

Equipment costs, vary massively from what I can see, would imagine some is down to makes(?), how new they like their equipment and what equipment is owned (not that I know a thing about equipment on a golf course!).

Clubhouse costs, vary massively, depending on size, age etc, how update to it is kept. And also how many hours the clubhouse are manned, food is served etc

Course costs vary massively again, depending on updates/improvements made each year

but hopefully will total up some of the costs over the next couple of days, if I find time.

D

Deleted member 21258

no, but Royal Dornoch is under £500 for a could thats in the top 10 in the world

Amazing price, saw that a few weeks ago when I was looking at green fees and booking a tee time and couldn't quite believe it. Also saw that Tain members get a very cheap rate at RD, that surprised me as well. :unsure:

Do they actually have any available memberships or surely they are full on both courses?, would have thought they would have loads of overseas members/visitors ?(did read that you have to go via the sturie to get champ course membership on their website)