Medal entry numbers at your club

Blob Jacket

Visit site
Ours are down and have been declining steadily all season to the point tee times are being released mid-comp. Pre-WHS you had to set an alarm to get a comp tee or play late afternoon. 800+ members.

Asked the question and was told nobody under 10 has won anything for 2 years.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess that means the club certainly has the tee capacity to increase the membership numbers if they wanted to (a bit like overselling seats on planes knowing some wont get used i guess)
Sounds like we are going to bring about 30 new members on board with a new type of reduced cost membership - with restricted tee times but access to midweek comps and maybe some weekend medals. We have 625 full members (gents and ladies) and look to have some scope to accommodate more playing in our monthly medals (Currently 80-100).

If we find the increased numbers has a negative impact for too many members, we can always let numbers drop back down at the next renewal assuming we’ll always lose some members at renewal. But for the time being bringing new members in will give us a cash boost to mitigate the coming potentially significant increase in electricity and gas costs, at least for the coming year.

Springveldt

Visit site
Ours are down and have been declining steadily all season to the point tee times are being released mid-comp. Pre-WHS you had to set an alarm to get a comp tee or play late afternoon. 800+ members.

Asked the question and was told nobody under 10 has won anything for 2 years.
Do you not have a lot of members under 10? No one under 10 winning in 2 years it a bit mental.

Maybe time for your club to introduce divisions.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Do you not have a lot of members under 10? No one under 10 winning in 2 years it a bit mental.

My clubs not far off it, its rare for a low HC to win a comp. Does happen but maybe 1 in 10 (at most).

Issue is - there's more high HC players than low and if divisions were put to a vote at my place, it'd lose every time. Feels like we're a bit stuck.

Mood in the clubhouse post comp now is usually just laughter at the low guy thinking he's in with a sniff after a net 64 :ROFLMAO:

Blob Jacket

Visit site

Had a quick look and we have around 120, ranging from 9.9 to +3.1. Maybe the comment needed an asterisk *excluding division 1 of medals and medal finals (8 per year).

This isn't a complaint or an anti-WHS thing, just an observation and feedback from the club. I'm in the 9s and my best golf would be nowhere near what's needed to win a board comp. I play comps to play against handicap, always have done, and I've never won anything of note.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My clubs not far off it, its rare for a low HC to win a comp. Does happen but maybe 1 in 10 (at most).

Issue is - there's more high HC players than low and if divisions were put to a vote at my place, it'd lose every time. Feels like we're a bit stuck.

Mood in the clubhouse post comp now is usually just laughter at the low guy thinking he's in with a sniff after a net 64 :ROFLMAO:

Surely the handicap committee could just do it. No need for a vote.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thought that's what committees do. What's the point of having one if they can't make simple decisions like having divisions in a competition.

I honestly ask myself the same thing. Not actually sure what half the guys do. We have a social sec and absolutely no social events :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if its in our constitution or something but they do always put the big decisions down to a member vote

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
121 playing in today’s October Medal - Saturday; currently 92 signed up for next weekend‘s October Medal - Sunday.

Todays reserved tees fully booked - all but five as threes, the five currently are twos so room for 5 more last minute entries.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you reckon the impact would be to handicaps if it continued to be qualifiers year round?

Would be accurate for some and not for others. Like most clubs there are members who will only play in a minimum amount of competitions (if at all) and those who play as many as their time allows. Currently only 3 are needed to enter some of the major knockouts and some members wait until the course is playing easier to do the three so definitely do not have an accurate handicap as they will play nearly everyday.