Medal entry numbers at your club

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People preferring general play scores with WHS?
Always possible. Perhaps they need to send a questionnaire to the members to understand the drop off and what would be needed to bring people back. It could be entry fees, comp formats, or just simply as you describe.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Weekend medal tomorrow. Tee sheet has about 130 on it atm, although they won't all play in the medal. Surprisingly, more played on Wednesday in the mid week medal. The numbers are about 10% fewer than the same medals last year.

Albo

Visit site
Our club has just sent out a questionnaire about comps, I’m not sure what the take up is on them as I pretty much never play in them.
I’ve said I have no interest and it’s annoying for me as takes up tee sheet space and slots aren’t always full.
I want to play golf for the fun of scoring, not to win £30 in shop credit. Comp rounds are slow much slower than normal rounds and I have absolutely no clue why other than people taking longer for the chance of winning that shop credit.
Don’t get me started on club championship week, close the course after work for a week in the summer devalue my membership by stopping me from playing for a week. I’d leave but this nonsense happens everywhere.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club has just sent out a questionnaire about comps, I’m not sure what the take up is on them as I pretty much never play in them.
I’ve said I have no interest and it’s annoying for me as takes up tee sheet space and slots aren’t always full.
I want to play golf for the fun of scoring, not to win £30 in shop credit. Comp rounds are slow much slower than normal rounds and I have absolutely no clue why other than people taking longer for the chance of winning that shop credit.
Don’t get me started on club championship week, close the course after work for a week in the summer devalue my membership by stopping me from playing for a week. I’d leave but this nonsense happens everywhere.

Medal rounds at my club are quicker than bounce games. 3 balls, not 4 balls and no visitors in the mix.

Albo

Visit site
Medal rounds at my club are quicker than bounce games. 3 balls, not 4 balls and no visitors in the mix.
We have 3s rather than 4s too but on a Monday, Tues, Thurs, Fri evening course isn’t too busy and the 4s you encounter tend to let you past if your a single or 2 ball, but on comp nights you have no hope of being let through and if you did you’d get held up by the group in front .
it’s perhaps not the rounds that are woefully slower more the whole course slows significantly

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have 3s rather than 4s too but on a Monday, Tues, Thurs, Fri evening course isn’t too busy and the 4s you encounter tend to let you past if your a single or 2 ball, but on comp nights you have no hope of being let through and if you did you’d get held up by the group in front .
it’s perhaps not the rounds that are woefully slower more the whole course slows significantly
Why would you not just play in the medal?

Albo

Visit site
Why would you not just play in the medal?
Partially because of the slowness, partially because I’d prefer to play alone than with strangers.
Partially because in one of the few medals I did enter I was paired with a guy who told me after I knocked a 6 inch putt in one handed with the back of my putter, that should be a penalty stroke for not using the correct flat part of the putter. At that point I switched off to medals. I wasn’t cheating in my mind, I have no idea if he rule is correct or not, but I play golf for fun, I don’t care a jot about winning shop credit and if winning shop credits so important to people they would call a penalty for that, then it’s certainly not something I’m getting involved in