McIlroy and Foster?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last 2 comps. Westwood only needed someone to carry his bags didn’t do him any harm not to have a caddie, but I think Foster would be ideal for Rory and would help him, but Rory has other issues that need more help than a caddie can give.

D

Deleted member 1418

Whilst I think Billy Foster would be brilliant on Rory's bag, read on BBC Sport earlier that Rory may only play twice in Europe next year - doubt Foster would be up for more or less permanently relocating to the states at this time in his life or career.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Has Rory even suggested he is looking for a caddie ? I honestly don't think Harry is the problem, he was a very very good amateur in his own right, good enough to represent Ireland. It's more to do with Rorys application, he makes the final decisions. You can lead a horse to water as the saying goes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has Rory even suggested he is looking for a caddie ? I honestly don't think Harry is the problem, he was a very very good amateur in his own right, good enough to represent Ireland. It's more to do with Rorys application, he makes the final decisions. You can lead a horse to water as the saying goes
It seems an obvious point and I can't remember McIlroy ever indicating he's unhappy with the job Harry is doing. That said, I feel there is a world more experience with Billy Foster and he's work for the very best and I do think he could be a good fit. Certainly on those rounds where McIlroy start poorly and seems to simply lose interest, he could get onto his man and drive him to eek the best score on any given day. That for me is what a lot of players seem to try an do whereas if McIlroy loses interests he appears to simply want to smash the daylights out of it all the time

D

Deleted member 16999

Kaymer split with his caddie, Craig Connolly (Wee Man) a few months back, Connolly was tipped for Rory last year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Kaymer split with his caddie, Craig Connolly (Wee Man) a few months back, Connolly was tipped for Rory last year.

Could you see Foster going with Kaymer. I think that could be a good match. Kaymer starting to show a few shoots of getting his game back on point and Foster was there when Westwood went through a slump so would know what to be saying. Did Connolly pick up a new bag as he's another great caddy

D

Deleted member 16999

Could you see Foster going with Kaymer. I think that could be a good match. Kaymer starting to show a few shoots of getting his game back on point and Foster was there when Westwood went through a slump so would know what to be saying. Did Connolly pick up a new bag as he's another great caddy
Kaymer has now played 3-4 Tournaments with someone else on the bag, Connolly still spare, I reckon he’d be a great fit with Rory, already knows him and caddied at the highest levels.

scratchauthority

Visit site
I think the importance of the caddie can change from player to player depending on a range of factors including their attitude and general ability. As Westwood showed, he was able to win without his regular caddie but it seems somebody like Rory needs a strong partner on the bag to keep him in check throughout the round as nobody can ever doubt his natural ability compared to the rest of the tour.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Westwood has had a very good consistent season (even before Sunday's win) -i thought Foster was with him in Turkey (after his son caddied in Spain) so must have been a sudden decision to split?
Is Garcia's arrangement with his brother a perm one, or just till end of season?

Rich

Wolf

Visit site
Westwoods take on it was he wanted to take more control of stuff on d course and billy wasnt interested in doing it that way so parted amicably ..
That's what I heard today to on the Cut podcast.

They also spoke about how Rory prefers a caddy that doesn't have much to say for himself in terms of advice, so surely if that's true Foster would be a terrible fit for McIlroy

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory more than anybody needs a caddy who will advise him wisely. To me he’s a loose cannon and only seems to play bomb and chip. The American game suits him way more but would a caddy change that, in hindsight probably not. When it all clicks it’s amazing and he’s still very likeable as a player. Not doing the European Tour is another bizarre decision though and again confirms where his game is at. Billy Foster is also getting on and would probably prefer the Euro Tour.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
i see Billy Foster has said that in Turkey, Westwood advised that after 10 years he wanted to change the way they worked - Westwood working out all yardages and Billy just carrying the bag. Not what Foster used to, so they agreed a change was right.
Westy has a different caddy again this week (not his son or partner).

Rich