Mcgregor clubs?

Visit site
Hi everybody I'm thinking about getting the MCGREGOR TOURNEY II GOLF SET for 280 pounds or there abouts. The clubs look very nice cosmetically. I know the MCGREGOR brand had phased out over the years but is this set decent for a beginner golfer like me whose best round over 9 holes is 60. Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi everybody I'm thinking about getting the MCGREGOR TOURNEY II GOLF SET for 280 pounds or there abouts. The clubs look very nice cosmetically. I know the MCGREGOR brand had phased out over the years but is this set decent for a beginner golfer like me whose best round over 9 holes is 60. Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Yes, but you could probably get a better set quite a bit cheaper, but with a little bit of effort - that you may or may not also enjoy.

Simply getting a decent set of irons and a putter would be the best start imo. The Woods could come later, or you can pick up a decent 3-wood fairly quickly/easily. Driver is not necessary immediately, but is definitely the 'fun' club!

What gear are you using to play currently?

Edit: Just seen your earlier thread! I don't believe the McGregors are sufficient upgrade from your exiting Donnays! And with your height, it's highly likely that they will be too short for you too! You'll almost certainly need clubs that are longer than standard - and now (before you acquire and ingrain too many faults) is the time get it done right!

It's easy enough to go to a Pro at your Golf Centre or even the likes of American or Direct Golf and ask to be measured up - a 'static fitting'. That should not cost you much - if anything - though you should stress that that is all you are after - and not yet prepared to purchase clubs.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
MacGregor clubs used to be top-notch. I can't speak for how they are now. It may be the brand has gone the same was as Dunlop, Slazenger, Maxfli etc. A great name rebranded for cheap clubs.

Getting measured is the best way (although I admit I never have been :eek:) but there are now some great deals on ebay or even brand new for previous years models in many of the online shops. And your outlay can be very similar to what you are proposing on the MacGregors.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been looking at longer sets for my brother in law. Found some really good deals on some taylormades & titleists for £150 delivered.

There are also some guys on various facebook selling sites that have longer sets for cheap.

I would agree with all the above. Pop to your local American golf, get a static fitting. Find out if you need longer / different lie / & shaft flex.

Once you have these basics you can hunt around for some sets. I have learnt from experience that a "package" set may not be up to standard (naturally).