+1 Golf Clubs

Visit site
Morning all,

6'3" beginner with a desire to get into it I bought a set of RAM EZ3 irons +1 inch longer.

However, when out with my friends I compared the length of clubs and there doesn't seem to be any more than 1/2" and less in some.

I wanted to check whether I'm missing the point of an inch longer? I took it very literally thinking every club would be exactly 1 inch longer, or is the inch is taken at one end of the set 5 or 9 say and then it tapers down?

Do I complain or take myself back to school?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome..
There should be about half an inch between each iron of your set.
Your friend's clubs may be 1/2 inch longer than standard..
You need to find out how long a standard 6 or 7 iron should be in your set and work from there.
Another thing...just because you're 6'3 it doesn't automatically mean you need longer clubs...longer arms may mean more standard length clubs..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Usually just the irons that will be extended, very rare for woods or hybrids to be extended. Used to be the same for wedges but some do have them extended as well (me included)

Visit site
Cheers for the responses

I can't find any spec on how long this particularly club should be, but Google's saying a 7 iron in steel should be 37", so I'll measure mine and expect 38".
Is a club measured from the base of the shaft where it meets the clubhead, or the whole thing inc. head?

I went into a golf store a few months ago and he did a quick wrist measure and recommended me for +1"

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the responses

I can't find any spec on how long this particularly club should be, but Google's saying a 7 iron in steel should be 37", so I'll measure mine and expect 38".
Is a club measured from the base of the shaft where it meets the clubhead, or the whole thing inc. head?

I went into a golf store a few months ago and he did a quick wrist measure and recommended me for +1"

the problem is not all 7 irons are built at 37" as standard, some are 36.5" some are 37.5" depending on the manufacturer (hence imurgs advice)

Visit site
Ahh gotcha.

I think I'll just play with them for now, save the hassle of a complaint, they are slightly longer in comparison and it's pretty hard to find online what length they "should" be.

Ride it out and see if the golf interest sticks, if it does I can always look at a fit for a better set.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ahh gotcha.

I think I'll just play with them for now, save the hassle of a complaint, they are slightly longer in comparison and it's pretty hard to find online what length they "should" be.

Ride it out and see if the golf interest sticks, if it does I can always look at a fit for a better set.
I bought a second hand set of ping irons a few years ago. They have different lies and are colour coded accordingly. I was worried mine were not quite right for me, how could I get them adjusted. Someone on here asked me 'how do you hit them?'. 'Well' I replied. 'Why do you want them adjusting then?' was the retort. He had a point :D.

In essence, hit them, see how you get on with them. Sometimes we over analyse our golf gear.

Visit site
I hit very badly right now, no technique at all, complete beginner with reasonable hand eye coordination.

My thought process goes: If I'm going to put effort into learning technique and trying to bank it as muscle memory, I might as well start with clubs that fit me as close as possible, rather than leaning to hit well bent over then having to adjust the action later if changed club size.

This may be completely false logic when it comes to golf but you can see why it would be logical to a layman.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes it is not just about length it also about the lie angle of the club and the shaft flex (as you swing the club the shaft tends to bend inwards towards your legs).

The best way to check all of this (assuming you go to a range) is to look at the markings from the mats left on the sole of the club, if all of the marking is in the middle of the club or thereabouts than it is fine, if all the marking is at the heel then they are too upright and towards the toe too flat.

The other most important thing is that there is a consistent gap between each club. As per Imurg tis should be half an inch. Just stand the clubs in a line against a wall with all the soles all lying at the same angle.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Morning all,

6'3" beginner with a desire to get into it I bought a set of RAM EZ3 irons +1 inch longer.

However, when out with my friends I compared the length of clubs and there doesn't seem to be any more than 1/2" and less in some.

I wanted to check whether I'm missing the point of an inch longer? I took it very literally thinking every club would be exactly 1 inch longer, or is the inch is taken at one end of the set 5 or 9 say and then it tapers down?

Do I complain or take myself back to school?
I had to google what these were. They'll be 1" longer than their standard set. No detailed specs on their site because they're just beginners box sets.

For the price of them, and that you're a beginner, crack on until you improve enough to think about trading up, then get a proper fitting