MC Ilroy's penalty drop on the 18th

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anybody know it they were only allowing balls to dropped on the from the side of the stake/lined penalty from which the ball entered the penalty area.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

wjemather

Visit site
Does anybody know it they were only allowing balls to dropped on the from the side of the stake/lined penalty from which the ball entered the penalty area.
Pretty sure I heard Nantz talking about the PGA Tour taking out opposite side relief for the tournament; since that option went from the RoG in 2019, I suspect they hadn't instituted a local rule to allow it. Either that or the PGA Tour Hard Card (or local rules) adds it back in, and they did actually take it out for the tournament.

The PGA Tour Hard Card in 2019 specified penalty areas where opposite side relief was available would be listed on the "notice to players". I don't know if it has changed since then.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

were definitely only allowed to drop one side, wasnt sure under what ruling though (assumed rules of competition)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
were definitely only allowed to drop one side, wasnt sure under what ruling though (assumed rules of competition)

The one side is the default position now. It only requires a section in the Rules of the Comp or Local Rule if they are allowing either side.

wjemather

Visit site
I found the 2021 PGA Tour Hard Card: "2. b. Opposite side relief is available for red penalty areas listed on the applicable “Notice to Players”. Model Local Rule B-2.1 is in effect." So I'd guess it was simply not listed in the tournament notice rather than being taken out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found the 2021 PGA Tour Hard Card: "2. b. Opposite side relief is available for red penalty areas listed on the applicable “Notice to Players”. Model Local Rule B-2.1 is in effect." So I'd guess it was simply not listed in the tournament notice rather than being taken out.
Where did you find it? Have you got a link?

However I did find this for The PGA Australia / PGA Tour Australasia

2. Penalty Areas. Rule 17.
(a) Opposite Side Same Distance Relief for Red Penalty Areas. The weekly Local Rules sheet will specify which (if any) red Penalty Areas have a same distance option on the opposite side. Model Local Rule B-2.1 will apply only to the Penalty Areas that are listed.
(b) Opposite Side Relief Where Ball Last Crossed Edge of Penalty Area Where the Edge and the Boundary of the Course Coincide. When a player’s ball last crossed the edge of a Penalty Area where the edge of the Penalty Area and a boundary of the course coincide, that edge is deemed red and opposite side relief is available under Model Local Rule B-2.1.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Where did you find it? Have you got a link?

However I did find this for The PGA Australia / PGA Tour Australasia

2. Penalty Areas. Rule 17.
(a) Opposite Side Same Distance Relief for Red Penalty Areas. The weekly Local Rules sheet will specify which (if any) red Penalty Areas have a same distance option on the opposite side. Model Local Rule B-2.1 will apply only to the Penalty Areas that are listed.
(b) Opposite Side Relief Where Ball Last Crossed Edge of Penalty Area Where the Edge and the Boundary of the Course Coincide. When a player’s ball last crossed the edge of a Penalty Area where the edge of the Penalty Area and a boundary of the course coincide, that edge is deemed red and opposite side relief is available under Model Local Rule B-2.1.
Found it here: https://img.bluegolf.org/files/stpga/2021_Documents/VTO_Qualifiers/2021_PGA_TOUR_HC_Final.pdf

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From that
b. Opposite side relief is available for red penalty areas listed on the applicable “Notice to Players”.

So from that I presume that for every event players get the said notice which lets them no if it is in or out.
Yes. You may have noticed it also refers to the locations of Dropping Zones. These notices contain information specific to the competition or course.