Mauritius golf holiday advice

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When people talk about the "Heritage course", is that Chateau du Golf? I ask because when my wife and I stayed at the Awali four years ago, that was the course we played (and there was no "Heritage course" AFAIK).

I agree that Chateau du Golf is a nice course, but it was always very wet. And since the soil is sandy, you end up getting sprayed with loose wet sand and having to clean your club after every shot. And it's not like we were there in the rainy season - we went in June, which is supposed to be the driest part of the year, but there was still usually a heavy downpour every other day.

As for the Heritage Awali itself: what a fabulous hotel. We got the best customer service I've ever experienced anywhere. Nothing was too much trouble.

While you're in the area, be sure to try out snorkeling over the coral. It was a magical experience. There was one particular species of fish - small dark grey (almost black), about 4 inches long, that seemed very curious and would come right up to you and check you out. A trip to the coloured earths is also worth it if you have the time - really weird, almost like an alien landscape.

Yeah the Chateau du Golf/Heritage/Telfair/Bel Ombre course are all one in the same

Agree the rain in mm's looks low in June but its a little and often thing where many days can be wet, while Dec/Jan are comparative high for rainfall its a lot of rain delivered in a few odd days during tropical storms and all gone/dried up very soon after helped by the higher temps

Heritage also gets run off rainwater from the surrounding hills so its worth planning that into which day to play if there's been lots of heavy rain. Overall I've played it year-round maybe 30 odd times and only about three were wet underfoot & usually May/June time

Edit, as you prob know there's a Chateau in the grounds of the course which I guess is why that name has been used previously. Telfair is I think the hotel chain and Bel Ombre the village its in, the Heritage name for the course really got pushed from last year after the Euro Tour announced it was playing there (maybe they thought it was more marketable)

Last edited:

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
When people talk about the "Heritage course", is that Chateau du Golf? I ask because when my wife and I stayed at the Awali four years ago, that was the course we played (and there was no "Heritage course" AFAIK).

I agree that Chateau du Golf is a nice course, but it was always very wet. And since the soil is sandy, you end up getting sprayed with loose wet sand and having to clean your club after every shot. And it's not like we were there in the rainy season - we went in June, which is supposed to be the driest part of the year, but there was still usually a heavy downpour every other day.

As for the Heritage Awali itself: what a fabulous hotel. We got the best customer service I've ever experienced anywhere. Nothing was too much trouble.

While you're in the area, be sure to try out snorkeling over the coral. It was a magical experience. There was one particular species of fish - small dark grey (almost black), about 4 inches long, that seemed very curious and would come right up to you and check you out. A trip to the coloured earths is also worth it if you have the time - really weird, almost like an alien landscape.

The course was called heritage golf club it was linked to the hotel and probably 2 mins drive away. It did have a restored chateau just off the course ( near the 17th green). It may be that it's changed its name but it's definitely called heritage golf club.
It was bone dry when I played it the first time, the second time I cried off the day before owing to heavy rain. Again it was dry other than in spots on the back 9. I've been told they made improvements to it on the orders of the euro tour when they got the event, I believe they lowered the 14th green.
The tour have the course on rotation with another one for the Mauritius open.

I totally agree about the snorkelling we did it the same day we went swimming with wild dolphins. It was amazing.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The course was called heritage golf club it was linked to the hotel and probably 2 mins drive away. It did have a restored chateau just off the course ( near the 17th green). It may be that it's changed its name but it's definitely called heritage golf club.
It was bone dry when I played it the first time, the second time I cried off the day before owing to heavy rain. Again it was dry other than in spots on the back 9. I've been told they made improvements to it on the orders of the euro tour when they got the event, I believe they lowered the 14th green.
The tour have the course on rotation with another one for the Mauritius open.

I totally agree about the snorkelling we did it the same day we went swimming with wild dolphins. It was amazing.

Yeah although big enough the 14th green needed additional pin placement options to meet tour requirements, it is absolutely wicked now with what looks like a few elephants buried just underneath the surface :D

You're right about the rotation, it means it'll be at the Ernie Ells designed Anahita course next year and alternating thereafter

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hi guys is the heritage club near the le morne mountain?

The course under the mountain on the Le Morne Peninsula is Le Paradis GC (really picturesque)

le paradis.jpg

le paradis2.jpg

The Heritage course is a 20 minute drive south of there down the coast

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I stayed in the hotel next to la paradise for my honeymoon. I didn't play golf then so I didn't play it. Gutted😀

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I stayed in the hotel next to la paradise for my honeymoon. I didn't play golf then so I didn't play it. Gutted😀

It's still there so just pop back ;) I'm playing it on 12th of next month :cool:

Played it about two months ago in some serious 4/5 club wind, that was a lot of fun too, especially on the holes right out in the ocean

Their driving range points at the mountain so you never lose sight of a ball in the sky, there is no sky! (well a wee bit on the right hand side)

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stayed at the heritage hotel, all inclusive which is good out there, £10 a pint, in that hotel anyway, might of been dollars, went in September, course was bone dry but a tad windy, recommend a buggy for it, but I'm not the fittest.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
slab what's car hire/ roads like for driving in Mauritius for tourists like . Thinking of driving down to Heritage and touring the island.

Have had two holidays in Mauritius thanks to my daughter arranging very cheap standby flights. We stayed in a cheap but decent hotel in Grande Baie. Both times we did a dodgy car hire deal - it was the owner's own Suzuki Jimny - and it was really terrific exploring the island - two of the best holidays ever.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Once went to Kuredu in the Maldives ( it has the only golf course in the Maldives at the moment). Anyway some sad acts were counting down there holidays they were that excited.

94 days to go 😜

Tashyboy

Visit site
Have had two holidays in Mauritius thanks to my daughter arranging very cheap standby flights. We stayed in a cheap but decent hotel in Grande Baie. Both times we did a dodgy car hire deal - it was the owner's own Suzuki Jimny - and it was really terrific exploring the island - two of the best holidays ever.

Did you get to play out there at all Rosecott ?

Just tried ringing Thomson to book clubs and there system is being updated and is down til end of month. quoted £25 each way which seems nice and cheap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you get to play out there at all Rosecott ?

Just tried ringing Thomson to book clubs and there system is being updated and is down til end of month. quoted £25 each way which seems nice and cheap.

Naw, they were holidays from golf.

Tashyboy

Visit site
As much as my beloved has no interest in golf she loves going on the courses and seeing some of the views and wildlife. Some of which have been stunning.

looking forward to Mauritius and the golf but even I can't play for 14 days. Unlike a pal who plays at Worksop. Went to ? Moon palace in Mexico and played every day whilst his beloved soaked up the sun.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As much as my beloved has no interest in golf she loves going on the courses and seeing some of the views and wildlife. Some of which have been stunning.

looking forward to Mauritius and the golf but even I can't play for 14 days. Unlike a pal who plays at Worksop. Went to ? Moon palace in Mexico and played every day whilst his beloved soaked up the sun.

When you get back we'll have a knock at Norwood and you can tell me all about your trip.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well here i am. Anyone who studied Mauritius will be familiar with the mark Twain quote saying god created Mauritius. No arguments from me re that but id he wrote it a couple if hundred years later he would of said ernie els and bernie langer where two of his disciples that created golf in heaven. Both courses kicked my butt.
Anahita is just jaw dropping. Played il aux cerf with kwvin and linda from st helens. Lovely couple. Played anahita with 3 french guys. One who is a presenter for French golf tv. (Guy called christian). Really nicw guy.
Special mention to slab who i mwt at il aux cerf. Cheers me man for your time.
Lastly. Looks like tash is playin anahita on friday again.

ANAHITA. your goin down. Coz tash is havin yer ass.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad your enjoying it,
we're having a heatwave back home, positively tropical here
not a breath of wind or drop of rain to be seen.....honest :D

Tashyboy

Visit site
Is there a finer sight than watching the stars through palm trees drinkin vodka and coke.
Tashyboy is for half hour in the chill zone

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You playing the Langer course (can't remember the name)? Off out there next year and have green fees thrown in.

As ruff driver says, roasting here.

Have a good holiday

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a finer sight than watching the stars through palm trees drinkin vodka and coke.
Tashyboy is for half hour in the chill zone

I might just mention you in the random irritations thread. Ffs it's sleet and snow here:rofl:
Enjoy your well deserved break :thup: and :cheers: