Matchplay-playing out of turn

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

A quick one for those in the know: did the rule change for match play, re playing out of turn?
Is ready golf allowed, or can you get pulled up for it by your oppo’.
If so, what’s the penalty?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 25172

A quick one for those in the know: did the rule change for match play, re playing out of turn?
Is ready golf allowed, or can you get pulled up for it by your oppo’.
If so, what’s the penalty?

Thanks

Before the big rules boys come in. But think I know:

6.4 Order of Play When Playing Hole
Purpose of Rule: Rule 6.4 covers the order of play throughout a hole. The order of play from the teeing area depends on who has the honour, and after that is based on which ball is farthest from the hole.
  • In match play, the order of play is fundamental; if you play out of turn, your opponent may cancel that stroke and make you play again.

D

Deleted member 1147

Cheers
Couldn’t remember if the rule changed or not the other year

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing out of turn is allowed but it must be done on a shot by shot basis as agreed with the opponent(s) and not a carte blanche for all shots.

If they have agreed they cannot make you replay the shot.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before the big rules boys come in. But think I know:

6.4 Order of Play When Playing Hole
Purpose of Rule: Rule 6.4 covers the order of play throughout a hole. The order of play from the teeing area depends on who has the honour, and after that is based on which ball is farthest from the hole.
  • In match play, the order of play is fundamental; if you play out of turn, your opponent may cancel that stroke and make you play again.

It pays to read through the whole of a Rule. If you had, you would have reached the bit Jim is referring to. It's headed Exception: Playing out of Turn by Agreement to Save Time. But you wouldn't have gone wrong by abiding by that first part.

D

Deleted member 25172

It pays to read through the whole of a Rule. If you had, you would have reached the bit Jim is referring to. It's headed Exception: Playing out of Turn by Agreement to Save Time. But you wouldn't have gone wrong by abiding by that first part.

I did read the whole part, but since James’ question was referring to being “pulled up”, it didn’t sound like he was referring to any sort of agreement between players to play out of turn.

salfordlad

Visit site
Playing out of turn is allowed but it must be done on a shot by shot basis as agreed with the opponent(s) and not a carte blanche for all shots.

Yes. And to add further information, I have asked a Ruling Body whether players in match play can agree to play out of turn on an individual shot basis for any other very good reason (I proposed some scenarios) other than to save time. The answer was no, this is a very black and white rule, it is only about time.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear an example of of what you proposed that wasn't a time saver.

And no sooner written than I thought of two balls in a bunker and the player nearer the hole playing first to avoid his ball getting covered in sand by the the further one being played first - although you might argue that it saves time by avoiding the faff of restoring the forward ball's lie. I wouldn't agree to that if I were the one nearer the hole, mind you. I want to know if my opponent gets out of the bunker or not.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
It would be interesting to hear an example of of what you proposed that wasn't a time saver.

And no sooner written than I thought of two balls in a bunker and the player nearer the hole playing first to avoid his ball getting covered in sand by the the further one being played first - although you might argue that it saves time by avoiding the faff of restoring the forward ball's lie. I wouldn't agree to that if I were the one nearer the hole, mind you. I want to know if my opponent gets out of the bunker or not.
The prime scenario I raised has some common ground with your bunker example - balls on the putting green reasonably close together, greens are soft so the players discuss letting the closer player go first because the normal order of play would plonk 80 kg via a size 12 shoe (don't hold me to the physics) onto the line of the closer player. Response was "not permitted" and this applies anytime there is not demonstrable time saving.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's really helpful to know, especially as I have a couple of assigned matchplay jobs in August.

The bunker example came to mind with the recollection of a pair who called me in during our Championship week because they weren't sure how to deal with their balls lying together in a bunker, actually touching although with one nearer the hole. I confess I missed out my usual "How can I help you?" on approach in favour of "Good grief, how did you manage that?" They excelled themselves a few holes later and called me in to help sort out what to do after one ball played from a green side bunker hit the other ball at rest on the putting green, knocking it aside but stopping dead where the moved ball had been. That was on the 17th green and so they mercifully didn't have time to contrive anything else.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would just ask for the ball nearest to be marked and removed.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

There is also the situation where a committee has authorised the combining of Strokeplay and Matchplay. Strokeplay rules prevail and an opponent cannot insist on a shot being replayed if played out of turn.

salfordlad

Visit site
They excelled themselves a few holes later and called me in to help sort out what to do after one ball played from a green side bunker hit the other ball at rest on the putting green, knocking it aside but stopping dead where the moved ball had been. That was on the 17th green and so they mercifully didn't have time to contrive anything else.
That one's interesting: opponent's balls owning the same spot - I'd be suggesting use a random method to determine order of play; and as the only timing requirement on replacing a moved ball is before the stroke, if the bunker ball is played first there would be no requirement to mark the spot to guide the second to play, although there would be a logic in doing so in the interests of being seen to be fair - especially if there is something good or bad about the lie/line or whatever.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
That one's interesting: opponent's balls owning the same spot - I'd be suggesting use a random method to determine order of play; and as the only timing requirement on replacing a moved ball is before the stroke, if the bunker ball is played first there would be no requirement to mark the spot to guide the second to play, although there would be a logic in doing so in the interests of being seen to be fair - especially if there is something good or bad about the lie/line or whatever.
There's no need to estimate if the spot is known! Marking it would be wise, just to remove the appearance of evil.