Matchplay (pairs) Question

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi everyone, yet another matchplay query...

Pairs betterball

At what point is it too late to correct the score from a previous hole?

Eg player A should receive a shot on the hole but doesn't realise it. His team believe they have lost the hole. Not everyone holes out as a couple of short putts were conceded.

Team B both tee off on the next hole. Then later realise the hole should have been halved.

Is it now too late to correct it?

Thanks
S-G

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Should have said:

Team B both tee off FIRST on the next hole then team A (containing player A) tee off after them... THEN later realise...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How much later, before the next hole is completed?

Thanks. Just after. So I think I know the answer but want to be sure at which point it becomes too late.

Once they've all teed off on the next hole or once the next hole is complete.

For ease, let's say the mistake was made on hole 1 but only came to light whilst on the 3rd tee...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, yet another matchplay query...

Pairs betterball

At what point is it too late to correct the score from a previous hole?

Eg player A should receive a shot on the hole but doesn't realise it. His team believe they have lost the hole. Not everyone holes out as a couple of short putts were conceded.

Team B both tee off on the next hole. Then later realise the hole should have been halved.

Is it now too late to correct it?

Thanks
S-G

I think that as soon as anyone has teed off on the next hole it's too late to impact the previous hole.

However, if they conceded the hole after the putts then it's too late anyway (decision 6-2a/4)

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that as soon as anyone has teed off on the next hole it's too late to impact the previous hole.

However, if they conceded the hole after the putts then it's too late anyway (decision 6-2a/4)

This is the correct answer (unless there is a situation where players become aware of new facts in which case it may still be timely for a claim)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is the correct answer (unless there is a situation where players become aware of new facts in which case it may still be timely for a claim)

Bit difficult to argue you didn't know how many shots you got as this would have been agreed on the first tee when handicaps were disclosed.

If a penalty had been taken which the opponents were not aware of then that could be new information but you are in a whole new mess if someone says after you leave the green "oh by the way I need to add a penalty shot because ....."

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit difficult to argue you didn't know how many shots you got as this would have been agreed on the first tee when handicaps were disclosed.

If a penalty had been taken which the opponents were not aware of then that could be new information but you are in a whole new mess if someone says after you leave the green "oh by the way I need to add a penalty shot because ....."

The rules make it clear that where shots are to be taken wouldn't constitute a new fact. However, regardless of the myriad of possible new mess, I couldn't ignore reference to it 🤔

And trust me, there's a whole heap of mess easily, and frequently, bought into play by the concept of concession! But we don't need to open that either here - what you wrote works for me :thup:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Let's not go there!

Thanks gents for the replies, in any event it was a non issue but was ine of those 'what if' questions that arise

Cheers 👍👍