Match play … both players there

IslaG

Visit site
Can’t find the rule but I’m sure it exists! Match play - do both players in match have to be on a mid-round tee ( not 1st hole ) before one tees off In this instance one popped to toilet and opponent drove while they were absent. But in the correct teeing order. And …would the answer be different if drive witnessed by others in group but not part of match ?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t know the ruling, but if I needed to pop to loo I have to pop to loo.

In a pairs match, if we had the honour I’d let our opponents play before me rather than wait for me to return. I don’t know how long I’d have to complete my allusions before opponents could call out ‘delaying play’…but if I just needed a quickie then I can’t imagine any issue other three players teeing off.

In a singles match there may well be something as there is no way to verify any claim the player who played in the others absence makes about where his ball has gone, maybe that’s just a risk that player takes, but clearly there is room for cheating (e.g. hits tee shot out of bounds - pops a second down the middle then claims it’s his first).

sorry - the q is about singles so first bit is irrelevant.

salfordlad

Visit site
There are simply no relevant rules issues in this scenario. There is nothing that requires a player's opponent to be on the spot before the player tees off. And the opponent can do nothing about it, the rules do not provide any authority to cry foul.

IslaG

Visit site
Probably why I couldn’t find a rule It just feels as though there should be one! Thinking of issues like teeing off in front of marker , miss hits rather than blatant hitting one ball wild then playing another and standing there innocently ?️‍♀️?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably why I couldn’t find a rule It just feels as though there should be one! Thinking of issues like teeing off in front of marker , miss hits rather than blatant hitting one ball wild then playing another and standing there innocently ?️‍♀️?
Why should there be a rule for this when there isn't one that requires a player to witness all strokes made by an opponent? eg when A is searching in deep in the jungle and B decides to play 'ready golf'. The Rules cannot presume dishonesty.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As an aside, given your location, I loved playing Balmacewen when we we touring and stayed a couple of nights in Dunedin ?