Masters record.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was just wondering.
As Rory Mclroy shot 64 at the Masters, is it a new record? As the course has changed, with 2 holes longer and tee positions moved.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’d say not, simply because it’s the same layout; they move the tees forward and back between days normally, so it’s not really much different from that. If they’d actually changed a par 4 to a par 5 (or vice versa) with the extra/change of length then yes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd say possibly Yes because the 11th tee was moved back and sideways by about 20 yards each.....altering the shape of the hole from a dogleg to relatively straight..
That could be enough to make it different enough...but I can see how it wouldn't be enough as well....

D

Deleted member 15344

63 is the course record

Think that it’s held by Greg Norman during his 96 collapse

They did say it was the best final round of the Masters though

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The course was less than 7000 yards then. Now it is around 7500.

https://golf.com/instruction/driving/see-pga-driving-distance-leaders/

Back in 1996 John Daly was the Tour's long knocker at just under 290 yards. 2019 (latest in the article) it's Cameron Champ at just under 320 yards. 14 driving holes x 30 yards = 420 yards. So there's barely anything in it in real terms, before we bring iron & ball changes into it. Effectively no longer for me, potentially actually shorter; it would be interesting to compare the actual clubs hit by Norman & McIlroy in their respective rounds to give a truer picture.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://golf.com/instruction/driving/see-pga-driving-distance-leaders/

Back in 1996 John Daly was the Tour's long knocker at just under 290 yards. 2019 (latest in the article) it's Cameron Champ at just under 320 yards. 14 driving holes x 30 yards = 420 yards. So there's barely anything in it in real terms, before we bring iron & ball changes into it. Effectively no longer for me, potentially actually shorter; it would be interesting to compare the actual clubs hit by Norman & McIlroy in their respective rounds to give a truer picture.

Not as simple as that, though. That is overall PGA Tour driving distance. The Masters does things its own way, and famously extended and toughened the course after Tiger, and quietly made a number of other changes most years since. Some of the holes have been altered so that carrying onto a downward slope is more difficult, even mowing patters have been changed to affect distance. Greater distance needs greater accuracy.

John Daly wasn't exactly the picture of athleticism. The course is longer, but the players are stronger and fitter too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If they adjusted the course record every time they made an adjustment to the course, they'd be doing it (virtually) every year.

Reactions: SyR

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
As its golf, I'd be surprisedif its not entirely at the commitee's discretion.

Been at a few clubs, all have different views on what constitutes a suitable course record...

wjemather

Visit site
I'd have just thought something that actually changes the par.
Par is arbitrary and irrelevant in this context. Based on yardages, Augusta National could easily decide to call the 5th, 10th and 11th hole par 5s, or call the 13th a par 4. Such changes would have no effect on the total strokes taken, so certainly wouldn't affect the course record.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par is arbitrary and irrelevant in this context. Based on yardages, Augusta National could easily decide to call the 5th, 10th and 11th hole par 5s, or call the 13th a par 4. Such changes would have no effect on the total strokes taken, so certainly wouldn't affect the course record.
I mean if the changes to the hole were substantial enough that it warranted changing the par for the hole. Not just if they randomly decided a par 5 was now a par 4 without changing the yardage. :ROFLMAO:

Visit site
This thread make me think about Augusta National and Stroke Indexes…

If the internet is correct, hole 2 as SI 1? Surely not!!

Attachments

• E27FA187-DD26-4BAE-9328-DD06495060AE.jpeg
    E27FA187-DD26-4BAE-9328-DD06495060AE.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 10