Masters not to be shown on BBC

D

Deleted member 15344

The biggest joke, for me, that the BBC are trying to pull off, is their coverage of womens football to compensate for the fact they can't afford proper football. They are a joke company now and the sooner they are made to fend for themselves the better it will be for them. They will get rid of ALL the hangers on and excess stuff, (regional weather and TV for one, who cares and all the regional radio, again who cares, we have enough local radio) and maybe get back to producing the quality programs they used to. Then people may return and pay x amount to have their programs again.

What’s wrong with their coverage of Women’s Football ?

Would you prefer they didn’t show it at all ?

Just to highlight that the Final was the most watched Football match of the year - 17.4mil in the UK alone

We all know you are stuck in the dark ages but i don’t think you understand how many people want to see the regional weather and news , why would they not want to see the weather where they are specifically ?‍♂️?‍♂️

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The biggest joke, for me, that the BBC are trying to pull off, is their coverage of womens football to compensate for the fact they can't afford proper football. They are a joke company now and the sooner they are made to fend for themselves the better it will be for them. They will get rid of ALL the hangers on and excess stuff, (regional weather and TV for one, who cares and all the regional radio, again who cares, we have enough local radio) and maybe get back to producing the quality programs they used to. Then people may return and pay x amount to have their programs again.

Strange post.

Personally watch local news more than national. Already know what’s going on nationally/worldwide before 6pm from social media, not so much locally unless it’s a huge story.

As a whole, the bbc show some of the best tv there is. Would much rather watch happy valley, motherland, line of duty etc, than some of the drivel on sky, itv or channel 5!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s exactly how I started watching golf - The Master and then The Open , and finally the Matchplay at Wentworth - that was my start of watching golf

Probably the same as many another player. However 'back in the day' there were only 3/4 channels and I bet the Beeb did not pay the small fortunes to broadcast it as is paid now. Many years ago The Masters only allowed TV coverage of the back 9 and it was probably only he pressure form all the pay to view TV channels and all the money they offered that changed that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pay to View TV channels have introduced so much money in to all the popular sports it is no wonder the BBC says it cannot afford to show it any more.

However if it is about money why do they not look at where the money goes in greater depth. E.G. I am sure most watching Match of the Day do it to watch football and not to listen to the likes of Gary Lineker. Why do they need so many expensive presenters for one programme. I for one change channels between the highlights of each match. How many have it on record and fast forward through the chit chat?

sunshine

Visit site
The biggest joke, for me, that the BBC are trying to pull off, is their coverage of womens football to compensate for the fact they can't afford proper football.

Is women's football not proper football? :rolleyes:

I know the standard is some way short of the premier league, but please don't insult 50% of the population.

evemccc

Visit site
Pay to View TV channels have introduced so much money in to all the popular sports it is no wonder the BBC says it cannot afford to show it any more.

However if it is about money why do they not look at where the money goes in greater depth. E.G. I am sure most watching Match of the Day do it to watch football and not to listen to the likes of Gary Lineker. Why do they need so many expensive presenters for one programme. I for one change channels between the highlights of each match. How many have it on record and fast forward through the chit chat?

I could not agree more and I’ve been saying this for years.

Administrators, players and those who make a healthy living from the game - such as cricket - want to kill the game / produce ever-more bastardised versions of it, that it’s core supporters do not want, in order to further their own ends

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with much of this but to keep within its remit, I think that hte BBC should, in fact, be ditching Match of the Day. The BBC is mandated to show things that are not adequately covered on other channels irrespective of viewing figures and it is not hard to argue that football, both mens and womens, is well catered for and that another free to air channel would snap up the rights were the BBC to stop showing football. As such, the BBC should be cancelling all coverage of football on TV and radio and applying that money to show lesser watched or more niche sports. In this instance, the BBC should actually be looking to cancel all football coverage so as it can afford to show the masters.

NearHull

Visit site

I thought I was alone in thinking the experts are filling in and padding the programme out with banal comments and drawing imaginary lines between players to make their points.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Got a freelance cameraman living next door. He has some tales to tell about the size of crews sent to things when it is BBC or ANYBODY else.
Bloated organisation being asked to be less bloated, now presumably making trying to make a point about how skint they are!

Boo hoo. They also hate golf and would rather show cooking and sewing! :)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I posted on the 'other' thread regarding Sky Golf viewing figures vs Youtube golf content, but the interesting thing (relevant here) is that the BBC viewing figures for the highlights for the Golf it shows are often in excess of Skys actual live coverage and have a longer average viewing time. MOTD gets about 1.3m viewers (despite access to live matches, highlights and goals almost instantaneously elsewhere). There's still in a place for the BBC in crowded environments.... plus the audience reach of BBC remains far superior.

I didn't watch any highlights on the BBC; but I know people who did. Those people won't suddenly start watching on Sky. As referenced by others, there's a bloated production team & crew in addition to the rights money - hardly surprising the path of least resistance is to dump it. It's a shame, I think, for people with only a casual interest.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get a now TV pass. It’s what I used to do for the majors but now they are all on sequential months I tend to balance Now tv off with having sky golf for 4 months.
I'm not paying for Now TV to have it in HD. Watching normal pictures on a 65" screen is not enjoyable, I want minimum of HD to wacth anything on my tv:)
As it is, I feel I pay enough to have Virgin (including BT Sport and Eurosport) and Netflix so I'm not paying out for anything more:)

Crumplezone

Visit site
Despite the government trying to destroy the BBC by continually slashing their funding, they are still trying to fulfil their commitment to producing the best programmes. Which they largely succeed at. At the expense of cutting other services including local radio. Unfortunately, paying for the rights to golf tournaments that have low viewing figures is low on the list of priorities. Decades of Sky owning the right to pretty much every sport has destroyed mass interest in watching it on TV.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get a now TV pass. It’s what I used to do for the majors but now they are all on sequential months I tend to balance Now tv off with having sky golf for 4 months.

They seem to have made it less value for money

Masters is 4 days ..4 day passes is £44?

Month pass ,£33

No week option anymore . Shame

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Strange post.

Personally watch local news more than national. Already know what’s going on nationally/worldwide before 6pm from social media, not so much locally unless it’s a huge story.

As a whole, the bbc show some of the best tv there is. Would much rather watch happy valley, motherland, line of duty etc, than some of the drivel on sky, itv or channel 5!
Not strange - just the usual anti-BBC tosh that some like to spout either not realising or disregarding how valued and appreciated ii is by very many in this country and abroad. But hey…any more than that we head into the political landscape.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Just looked up Now TV and really surprised how much the sports package is at £ 33.99

It’s for 11 channels but I really only want the F1 and the Golf ! and for the F1 more than happy with the coverage on Channel 4 currently