Massively frustrated

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No better today I'm afraid.

Had 30 mins practice before going out. Started off hitting it really well for 15-20 balls, then it gradually got worse and worse. No idea why.

Went out and played hopeless, spraying the ball everywhere but straight. Did say to my PP that I was only going to play 9 if I played as badly as yesterday. Was every bit as bad from 1-7, then from nowhere, some decent stuff came out on 8 and 9 so we agreed to play on until 12. Wouldn't you know, 10 and 11 were disasters, 3 lost balls over 2 holes! We agreed to cut our losses and packed in then.

Confidence is totally shot, going to have a few days off and try to forget about golf.

What were your swing thoughts ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do you get the clubface straight and where is your weight distributed at the end of the swing?
50-50
75-25 front foot
99-1 front foot

couple of practice swings focussing on getting the club face in the right position, stop, and try to repeat.

I'd say 75-25, maybe more. back foot has very little weight on it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My golf this year so far has been pretty similar to as it has been for the last few years. Good spells with intervening periods of dreadful endless Lucy Lockets. I used to get really, really upset and down about it. But you know, in the great scheme of things - and especially when things are bad and I am down about my game - I reflect on how fortunate I am to be able to play our great game - out and about in many glorious locations and settings - including my own track. So when out on the course and feeling down - I look around and give thanks. That makes me feel better - and my rubbish shots matter less - and feeling less down things often improve.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Frustration has been my game this year as my short game has deserted me on far to many occasions ,not knowing if I have a short game before I tee off is very off putting and really doesn't help my state of mind wondering if I'm going to mess up again .,...But the last game I played ,before going outI had a chat with the club pro and Im hoping I have sorted my problems and my short game will be up front and helping me score well again.
Frustrating game but very rewarding when it all goes to plan.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Frustration has been my game this year as my short game has deserted me on far to many occasions ,not knowing if I have a short game before I tee off is very off putting and really doesn't help my state of mind wondering if I'm going to mess up again .,...But the last game I played ,before going outI had a chat with the club pro and Im hoping I have sorted my problems and my short game will be up front and helping me score well again.
Frustrating game but very rewarding when it all goes to plan.
Yep. Had some decent ball striking rounds blighted by an inability to get the ball up and down when I miss a green. I do have some good days when ball striking, direction and short game all come together and not given up hope of finishing the season on an upward curve

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Biggest problem for me is I can hit a fairway from 250 yd’s but miss the green from 100 .
It’s very frustrating when driver is your most accurate club.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, I have the same frustration right now. Hitting it well 6 weeks ago, then it all went wrong, topping hole buckets. Lesson last week, went better during and directly after, yesterday topping half the bucket, and a quarter I hit the mat well before the ball. If I do the drill he told me to stop tipping it I increase the other fault. It stops me going out on the course because it’s not worth doing right now as it isn’t fun at all.
I still have 3 lessons to take, usually wait a month, but I think I might book one this week again.
Having progressed this a little I can hit some shots from a 'top stop' position in a drill now, but in swing it still doesn't work out entirely.
So at the end I just thought I try a wood, and because the tees plugged into the mat I took the 3 wood, the hight seems right.

My 3 wood head is now somewhere resting on the range in the dark while the shaft is in the car boot with the head cover. I don't think I hit anything drastically, but repeated grounding (actually not much today) must have weakened the shaft enough to rip out the head, and I have no idea where it went. I actually think it went more or less straight up.

Lesson coming up on Saturday.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Lesson coming up on Saturday.
That was a revelation! For my issue it all came down to my top stop actually being a top and backstop, and we all know that nobody likes a backstop, do we ;-)
Anyway, I compensated the too far behind hands with a ridiculous wrist movement. After a handful of balls I am now playing nice shots again.
We didn’t try woods in the lesson, but I did after and it still needs some work again. But I hit my PW using the fixed swing up to 14 yards further than I did before it went wrong.

A lesson was definitively worth it for me. My playing partners described the swing as ‘moving the head up’ which the pro says I am not doing.

Wolf

Visit site
I feel for the OP. I've had some big frustration with the game since my return last November time, good golf, bad golf decided on a swing rebuild and despite early promise and a big win l, the same mediocre play was there always. Have had nearly 8 weeks away from even touching a club and haven't missed it, decided to dust them off today and get out in the week weather permitting see how it and I feel about it.

dronfield

Visit site
That was a revelation! For my issue it all came down to my top stop actually being a top and backstop, and we all know that nobody likes a backstop, do we ;-)
Anyway, I compensated the too far behind hands with a ridiculous wrist movement. After a handful of balls I am now playing nice shots again.
We didn’t try woods in the lesson, but I did after and it still needs some work again. But I hit my PW using the fixed swing up to 14 yards further than I did before it went wrong.

A lesson was definitively worth it for me. My playing partners described the swing as ‘moving the head up’ which the pro says I am not doing.

Your last comment confirms the value of lessons - pros have a trained eye and can quickly spot swing faults and how to correct them.
Playing partners mean well but tend to trot out comments like "your head came up" or "your swing was fast", which were probably not the actual cause of the bad shot.

Rich

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I just seem to have a mental block when I go on the course. Went up three times last week. Each time I had 30-45 minutes on the practice ground beforehand, and was hitting it reasonably well and consistently. Each time went out for 9 holes afterwards, started ok for the first 2 or 3 holes, then I just fall apart, it goes from bad to worse, and by the 6th or 7th, I am hitting duff shot after duff shot.

I know that thinking negative thoughts doesn't help, but they way my game is at the moment, it's like I'm waiting to self-destruct, and once I hit one bad shot, it's impossible to not think the next one is also going to be a stinker.