Marking my Ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a nutshell, marking your ball for identification and alignment is fine, no issue. But marking your ball with the intent to gain information on your clubface that you subsequently use in the round is a breach (I have RB confirmation of this, I didn't invent my original answer in this thread). If you are intentionally placing the marked ball on the tee so a mark transfers to your club then you are in breach of 4.3. And repeatedly having that happen "accidentally" does not pass the sniff test - integrity requires you to ensure you are not enabling the mark to be transferred.
Gonna be paranoid now as I tee up or place my ball under conditions of relief. ?. Or get a pen with ink that dries quicker. Interesting.

Often noticed a mark after hitting an iron. Only understood what it meant for me once my coach had me looking carefully at where on the clubface I was striking the ball as part of my practice work. Then only just realised that that might ‘mean’ something under the rules.

salfordlad

Visit site
Gonna be paranoid now as I tee up or place my ball under conditions of relief. ?. Or get a pen with ink that dries quicker. Interesting.

Often noticed a mark after hitting an iron. Only understood what it meant for me once my coach had me looking carefully at where on the clubface I was striking the ball as part of my practice work. Then only just realised that that might ‘mean’ something under the rules.
LOL, I really don't see a reason for paranoia. I mark my ball with a line (for putting alignment) and, in 2 different places (for identification) 5 dots inside neighbouring dimples. For me, at least, it is actually very difficult to transfer a mark to the club without deliberate intention to do so on the tee. And in the general area also, it is extremely rare that the Sharpie ink transfers to the ball. Perhaps a more discreet ball marking will help you sleep easier?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
LOL, I really don't see a reason for paranoia. I mark my ball with a line (for putting alignment) and, in 2 different places (for identification) 5 dots inside neighbouring dimples. For me, at least, it is actually very difficult to transfer a mark to the club without deliberate intention to do so on the tee. And in the general area also, it is extremely rare that the Sharpie ink transfers to the ball. Perhaps a more discreet ball marking will help you sleep easier?
I won’t lose any sleep over it ? I’ll just get a different pen with which to apply my ball ID personal monogram (posh word for ‘mark’)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think you're over-thinking it.

Regardless of what marker you use, just put your ball down without thinking, and then hit it. If it happen to be in a position where ink transfers, then so be it. But in all probability it won't be in such a position.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I simply noted that I sometimes get an ink mark from my ball ID mark showing on my clubface, and this time I wondered about the rules it having never before occurred to me. Could I inadvertently have been breaking a rule - and unsure as I was I asked. And I twigged of an inconsistency with the line on my ball when I putt - a line that not only helps in putt alignment and so helps with my stroke…but can also indicate how cleanly and straight I hit the ball.
Use a different but freshly marked ball for each hole you wish to get feedback from.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Use a different but freshly marked ball for each hole you wish to get feedback from.
Illegal if I do it for feedback. But how can I now not do it without me knowing that I might have feedback…must I ignore any feedback I might get. I could orientate the ball on the tee to avoid getting a mark on my clubface, but through the green I’m in the hands of the golfing gods.

btw…I’m not that bothered…was just interested in where things were with this rules wise.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The feeling of the ball striking the clubhead should tell you where the ball struck the head. Further, if you need additional feedback on that, and can actually use it, work on your swing to more likely strike the ball in the sweet spot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would think it’s only a vertical line that would show you any feedback
Like they do for lie angles in a fitting.
Any other mark on the face will just tell you that you hit a bad shot or not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think it’s only a vertical line that would show you any feedback
Like they do for lie angles in a fitting.
Any other mark on the face will just tell you that you hit a bad shot or not.
With any iron I can hit what feels like an OK - even rather good - shot, but as my whole focus is on trying to strike the ball centre to toe side of centre any shot that I can see is struck heel side of centre is me heading into trouble, and so I make sure I do what I must next time. If I hit one as I am intending - and I can see that I have - then I get a very significant confidence boost. And with my iron striking issue (I've been a chronic shanker for years and currently working on fixing it) that's important.

As mentioned - the feedback thing as a result of my marking my ball is not something I've actively used - other than on the range - just something I noticed recently that made me wonder.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Illegal if I do it for feedback. But how can I now not do it without me knowing that I might have feedback…must I ignore any feedback I might get. I could orientate the ball on the tee to avoid getting a mark on my clubface, but through the green I’m in the hands of the golfing gods.

btw…I’m not that bothered…was just interested in where things were with this rules wise.

As I suggested earlier, don’t look at your clubface.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you're still overthinking it.
If you have to pick & replace, just put the ball down - with no conscious thought of alignment.
And if you're playing as it lies, then it's naff all to do with you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And you're still overthinking it.
If you have to pick & replace, just put the ball down - with no conscious thought of alignment.
And if you're playing as it lies, then it's naff all to do with you.
I’m not bothered and don’t actually do it (i.e. redo my ID mark on the ball during the round). I was simply wondering what the rules say about it if I did. I now know.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ok. So I apply my mark but it becomes blurred and indistinct..I cannot reapply it…?

I guessed there would be that rule, but all I am actually doing is marking my ball for identification purposes. The mark does not assist me in making a stroke…it gives me feedback for the next.

And after all…what is the purpose of lines I might draw (and are applied by many ball manufacturers) to the ball to assist my lining up of the ball when putting and in the context of my original question, give me feedback on how well I have struck the ball.

I hit an iron and there was a mark left on the face of the club that showed me I had hit the ball exactly on the clubface where i would wish, positive feedback on how I was swinging. And also when I have not.

I have noted this plenty of times before but have only just now stopped and thought about what it might mean in respect of the rules.

That(in bold) is causing the ball to be marked, not the club.
So, it is not relevant to the question of causing a mark on the club, which is what the rule relates to.

However, in your case, when you "refresh" the mark on your ball, knowing it transfers to some degree on to the club, then you are marking the club.
And you are doing so knowing it assists you making a stroke.

"However, if the purpose of the application is to influence the movement of the ball or assist the player in making a stroke, it would be prohibited."

Doesn't say which stroke, so it means any stroke.

You can't do it!?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That(in bold) is causing the ball to be marked, not the club.
So, it is not relevant to the question of causing a mark on the club, which is what the rule relates to.

However, in your case, when you "refresh" the mark on your ball, knowing it transfers to some degree on to the club, then you are marking the club.
And you are doing so knowing it assists you making a stroke.

"However, if the purpose of the application is to influence the movement of the ball or assist the player in making a stroke, it would be prohibited."

Doesn't say which stroke, so it means any stroke.

You can't do it!?
I know…we’ll at least I do now..and will continue to mark my ball for identification purposes only ?