Marking ball on green

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So my ball is on the green and a person in my group says you will have to move that (the ball) as its on my line.
At this point I have not marked the ball, it is still there on the green.
I therefore get my putter, put it next to the ball and move the ball to the end of the puttter. I then mark the ball
With a marker in the new position. The other player says this is technically incorrect. I should have marked the ball, removed the ball then moved the marker over. The way I did it was 1shot penalty! I've checked the rules and I'm now not sure.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to be able to return your ball to its original position, your method is fine to do that (most people mark first as its just easier)

Throw the rule book at him and ask him to show the penalty.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid another Rules "know-it-all" who doesn't. What you did was fine.

On the R&A Rules website the FAQs on this Rule (20-1) confirm that when moving a ball marker to the side the player "may place the putter head directly to the side of the ball and place the ball-marker at that spot".

Just make sure you follow the same procedure in reverse when moving the ball back.

Decision 20-1/16 Method Used to Mark Position of Ball includes the following:

"When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player’s stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed."

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=6EF58981-9106-4103-807E-BA912EDB0AA4

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"may place the putter head directly to the side of the ball and place the ball-marker at that spot"

But he hasn't done that, he's placed the putter to the side and moved the ball without having first placed a marker. That, I guess, is what the other player had an issue with. I don't know the answer but can understand the conflicting opinion.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
But he hasn't done that, he's placed the putter to the side and moved the ball without having first placed a marker. That, I guess, is what the other player had an issue with. I don't know the answer but can understand the conflicting opinion.
Still not a penalty. Only way you will get a penalty is to mix up the procedure. If you use a marker then use one for the marking, if you didn't use a marker then mark sure you don't again. In the OP so long as the reverse the procedure then they are fine.

Basically it's someone getting up themselves and not knowing the rules again. So long as the ball is replaced to the original position then you do it whatever way you want ... Of course doing it the simplest and most transparent way is less likely to cause people confusion ;)

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

FAQ specifically says you can place the putter head directly to the side of the ball then place your marker at that spot.

Decision 20-1/16 also says that marking your ball by "placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball" is a permissable (but not recommended) method of marking your ball.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if theres been a revision or it's one of the common folklore mistakes because I thought the response in OP was correct I stand corrected.