March in Aviemore

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at organising 2 rounds of golf in Aviemore in March for 4-8 people. Seen I can get Spey Valley and Boat of Garten for £135 per head.

Anyone played these courses? I've heard a bit about Spey Valley but not of BoG.

Also is there much for us to do at night or would it be a case of filling the van with a carry out 😂

D

Deleted member 17920

Are you golfing or skiing? :D

We played BOG in May a few years ago, there was snow on the hills still.

Fantastic golf course though.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I loved Boat of Garten, really enjoyable course in an absolutely stunning setting.

Not stayed there for years but I'd guess there must be a decent selection of bars and restaurants in Aviemore for all the skiers that are up that way every year?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Boat is a great course with fantastic views. But i dont think I'd choose to go in March. Your signature suggests you are much closer to it than me, but check out the average weather stats for Aviemore. At that time of year there'll likely be more winter mountaineers & skiers than golfers. With just cause.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Are you golfing or skiing? :D

We played BOG in May a few years ago, there was snow on the hills still.

Fantastic golf course though.

He’s not kidding. I organised a golf trip up that way in the 90’s and we had to drop out of several bunkers that had snow in them. Beautiful part of the world, and worth the trip. Just be realistic about the conditions if they’re still a little arctic.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Skiing or golf, I wouldn't book either until the day before in Aviemore at that time of year.

Not played bog, but Speyside is fine in season. I think if I had to book in advance I'd be heading to the coast.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
both great courses Owen, but i would steer clear until May TBH. you might get lucky as we have been getting mild winters and great springs the last few years. but equally you could be under 3 foot of snow as well.

Boat is short and requires plotting round, Spey long. well worth playing but in summers.

DCB

Visit site
I'd be tempted to drive another hour up to Lossiemouth and play over the two courses there. Stotfield Hotel overlooks the courses, basic but well priced.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd be tempted to drive another hour up to Lossiemouth and play over the two courses there. Stotfield Hotel overlooks the courses, basic but well priced.

only trouble with that is most courses up here with the exception of Spey Valley and Castle Stuart , which i think still close over winter, CS opens end of March not sure on SV, will still be on forward tee's and mats until end of March, unless we have a fantastic Feb and beginning of March Weather wise.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played BoG back in October last year. Found it a nice course, tight in places, and a little bit quirky. The greens were not the best, but that could be due to the time of year. Would I play it again..yes if I was passing, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Looking at organising 2 rounds of golf in Aviemore in March for 4-8 people. Seen I can get Spey Valley and Boat of Garten for £135 per head.

Anyone played these courses? I've heard a bit about Spey Valley but not of BoG.

Also is there much for us to do at night or would it be a case of filling the van with a carry out 😂

£135 per head sounds a bit steep, especially during the winter. Does that include any accommodation or food or is that just the green fees?