Manor House Golf Club

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, looks like we are visiting in August for 2 round golf break staying in the lodge. Has anyone been there? What’s the course like?

Real mix of handicaps going

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, looks like we are visiting in August for 2 round golf break staying in the lodge. Has anyone been there? What’s the course like?

Real mix of handicaps going

Course is good, played it a few times, make sure to get buggies can be quite a trek between holes

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have only played it once but from memory a nice resort style course, good first hole and some nice variation throughout, as Big_G said quite a tough walk. Enjoy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Course is good, played it a few times, make sure to get buggies can be quite a trek between holes

Assuming you mean the Manor House Hotel and Ashbury Hotel complex

I have been told they operate the 90 degree rule unless you take a medical certificate. My mate was booked in for 4 days but had to come home after one day because he had not got one.

Never played there myself but I understand there is a lot of difference in the quality between the 6 courses.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Assuming you mean the Manor House Hotel and Ashbury Hotel complex

I have been told they operate the 90 degree rule unless you take a medical certificate. My mate was booked in for 4 days but had to come home after one day because he had not got one.

Never played there myself but I understand there is a lot of difference in the quality between the 6 courses.

I think he means Castle Combe, if so a nice course but could be a bit of a slog for higher handicaps. I concur with the buggy comment, 17 to 18 is a long uphill trek !!

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
If it is the Manor House Castle Combe played last year in a couple opens, buggies are a must, nice course, greens were good and the food was good. Club house a bit sterile, probably because they rely on a lot of corporate trade

Enjoy

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
CC is a great course to visit on a trip, might drive you nuts as a member, it's quirky and usually nicely kept. Par 3s are good, a couple of odd holes, but a tough walk so buggy is worth having.

From there you can get away to play Bowood or The Players Club too...

D

Deleted member 23344

Sorry if I’m being thick, but what is the 90 degree rule?

D

Deleted member 17920

Drive buggy on buggy path all the way to level with your golf ball then straight left or right to your golf ball play it then get off the fairway straight to the path.

Creates less damage than just driving all over the fairways.

I get that rule for the Ashbury golf hotel in Devon as it’s quite soft most of the year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As above but some places make you leave the buggy on the path and walk to ball then back to the buggy. This is the rule where I play when we have 'buggy route in operation' when it is very wet on the course even if you have a medical certificate.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
CC is a great course to visit on a trip, might drive you nuts as a member, it's quirky and usually nicely kept. Par 3s are good, a couple of odd holes, but a tough walk so buggy is worth having.

From there you can get away to play Bowood or The Players Club too...
Yeah I’d put CC 3rd on that list. Any course that ‘requires’ a buggy due to its design loses prominence to me.

However usually in very good nick and a lovely setting

D

Deleted member 23344

Thanks for the explanation of the 90 degree rule.